TPM: Is it really needed?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Nrbelex, Oct 25, 2006.

1. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was looking at the information about TPM and I really don't see a helluva a lot of value in it for me. It holds passwords/keys....if I can remember them all in my head, why do I need TPM support?

I'm just wondering if other people use it and what they use it for...maybe I'm missing a good idea.

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

It can also be used as a scroll wheel, just by swiping it down or up will move the page down/up.

3. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

That's the hack people do to their fingerprint readers. The TPM is a hardware device attached to the motherboard that secures passwords and keys with encryption. As far as I can tell it is for people who want to store their passwords on their computer, but who don't want them stored on the HD (I guess being in the TPM is somehow more secure than directly stored on the HD?).

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The TPM (Trusted Platform Module) protects data and encrypts passwords during vulnerable points. It is much more secure than any software alone. It is just yet another step up in security geared towards business users who may have sensitive corporate data and financial on their mobile computer hard drive. The average user wouldn't necessarily need to utilize this unless they are worried about anything REALLY important on their own hard drive. A nice feature to have "just in case" though...

5. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

how do you get it to do that?? what hack?

would you be able to use it for fingerprinting as well then..? would be strange to be trying to swipe your finger and having things scroll all over the place... heh

6. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Ah, yes. I forgot to state it was for the fingerprint reader only, but DO NOT try swipping your finger over a TPM chip, you could risk voiding your warranty and perhaps your finger!

But yes, the TPM can be used for fingerprinting as well, provided you have the appropriate program for it.

To scroll, there is no physical means of hacking the fingerprint reader, just swipe your finger in Firefox or Internet Explorer and it may or may not scroll the page up and down.

7. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

On my R1, and on my brother's Fuijitsu, theres a control panel that pops up after you swipe your finger outside of a program that has a password - in it are 4 things, one of which is user settings. One of the tabs in user settings has an option to allow the reader to function as a scroll wheel, to use it, apply constant light pressure and move in a longer stroke and it *should* go into scroll mode instead of password mode. Alas, this never worked too well for me on the R1, but my brother reports while just writing in class, his arm would brush over the sensor and it would scroll.

8. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

I would just like to clarify this a little more for some users who may not fully understand.

TPM is yes, a trusted platform module, its a little chip on the motherboard.
    Fingerprint reader is the phyical reader located on the laptop in which you swipe your finger in order for the laptop to recognize your finger.

TPM is a term that the forums use for fingerprint reader and use it interchangeably. They are physically 2 different things, its just that people consider it one thing.

Here's an exmaple, there are laptops with TPM and without a finger print reader, mainly because some brands offer laptop to be configurated differently. And there are laptop without a TPM and without a finger print reader, and there are laptops with TPM and a fingerprint reader.

I hope this clarifies any confusion.

9. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

that's totally genius!!! i saw that in user settings, but it didn't occur to me what it was at all... for those who are like me and just skimmed over that, you need to program a hot key in that scrolling options menu so you can turn on/off the scrolling/fingerprint scanner feature. makes sense.. you don't want to need to swipe your fingerprint and have things scroll all over the place...

quick question to those who have had fingerprint laptops before... can they wear out with overuse? seems like a delicate piece of hardware that could possibly get busted... any thoughts?

10. Nrbelex

Nrbelex Pen Pal - Newbie

Whoa, I've never seen such a rosy picture of TPM or trusted computing in general. I am not a fan at all. You can real all about some of the trade-offs you get for this "increased security" here. Seriously, trusted computing is not something I welcome at all. I'm extremely happy it can be optionally turned off through the BIOS of Asus laptops and doesn't come with it enabled as default.

~ Brett

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015