Toughbook Tablet

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Bronsky, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

2. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well according to the news on this site there will be stylus support, which I hope in this case means at the very least N-Trig like the HTC Flyer. Now, if this comes with a dual core cpu(pref something a bit better than Tegra 2) I could be sold on it, pending on the pen support, and price.

3. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi folks,

New to this forum, long-time mobile enthusiast, developer, etc.

FWIW, I have seen engineering samples of this device in the past, but I am also attending a private event next Monday featuring the ToughTab, and I will report what I find, assuming items are not bound by NDA. Given the nature of the event, I imagine most info will be public, even suggested to disclose ;-). I will gather as many production specs as possible, and hopefully they will allow a few comparison photos with "similar" devices. Any suggestions for comparison shots? Any specific questions you want asked?

-Randall Garrett-
    *Apex Software*

/end/

4. Randall Garrett

OK, quick recap from the event. Only real surprise was the 7" device that will follow the 10.1"... Estimated releases are Spring for 10.1" and Late Summer for the 7"... They threw a running device across the stage, bouncing it to the Japenese presenter (head of the factory), which drew a gasp and then round of applause from the crowd. At the end of the presentation, they had us all down on the stadium floor (playing field at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium) and they had a running 10.1" device inside a ball patterned to look like a soccer ball. They had a professional goalie defend while the head Panasonic guy tried to kick it past him to score a goal... Anyway, all I saw were more engineering samples, most near identical to the existing pieces. My take is that the overall externals are final and they are still tweaking a few component choices, securing key partner relations, etc. There were a few vendor/partners there - software, accessory hardware (mounts, cases, etc.) and some integration and Enterprise channel types. Will post a picture or two when I get back to my office.

-Randall Garrett-
    *Apex Software*

/end/

5. Randall Garrett

FWIW, I am posting two pix I took at the ToughPad event so you can get a feel for it "in-hand." Both shots are reduced from their original 9 MP in order to facilitate easier transmission. Conditions were VERY bright lighting at Cowboy Stadium, meant to simulate outdoor lighting. Once I go through my images, I am happy to post others if desired. These are pictures of the unit that was kicked and tossed around, slammed on the floor, etc. I obscured the s/n portions for obvious reasons.

-Randall Garrett-
    ..Apex Software..

/end/

Attached Files:

6. Bronsky

Thanks for the pictures. Anymore you can post would be great. What is your impression of the display? Does it hold up in the light?

7. Randall Garrett

Bronsky,

Let me know what you want to know and I am happy to answer as best I can. It seems from your posts that you are already familiar with the Toughbook product line, so I am not sure what sort of specifics you are interested in.

As far as the screen performance in direct sun, I cannot answer that definitively since I used it under the "simulated sunlight" of the stadium lights. I know that the lighting there is meant to provide an outdoor feel, but we all know that no artificial lighting is exactly like natural sunlight. That said, the lighting on the field was extremely bright and the screen performed admirably. I had a couple of other devices with me for comparison and the Toughbook Tablet was equal or better to those IMHO. I had an iPad 2 with me as a "baseline" device since so many are familiar with it in varying conditions, and I had an engineering sample of the ASUS Transformer Prime, which advertises a 400+ nit "normal" mode and a near 600 nit "boost" mode, effectively bracketing the Panny's 500 nit screen.

The Toughbook destroyed the iPad 2 - no big surprise there - and it was somewhat superior overall to the ASUS IMHO. Not much to say with the iPad/Toughbook comparison except to say that the extra screen size on the Toughbook was appreciated and it did not look “chunky” as some might expect from the same resolution on a modestly larger size. The iPad was “punchier” when not in direct light, but when exposed to even the ambient stadium lighting, the glare on the iPad screen rendered it to a distant second place compared to the Toughbook. The ASUS was indeed brighter but the difference in usability was due to the Panasonic's anti-glare screen treatment.

I noted that the units they had on the field must have had some sort of screen protector film applied as a couple of them had scratches on this surface layer. I did not get a definitive answer from a Panasonic rep as to the final product's design in this regard. These types of events are typically staffed by some employees who are not really in the know and just a few who really do know. Not slamming Panasonic by this, just recognizing that a launch event is sometimes staffed by whomever they can get to make the trip, etc. Anyway, if the units on the field are truly representative of the final product, it LOOKS like this device will perform nicely in outdoor scenarios. As I may have mentioned, I was not allowed to photograph the unit next to other devices, nor the 7" model. Don't know why - I would think they would WANT it to be shown next to the inferior (in this regard, anyway) iPad 2. Perhaps some elements of the device are NOT final...

I admire and recommend the Toughbook line to customers with the appropriate usage scenarios, and I cannot wait for the Toughbook Tablet to be out. I will certainly be outfitting some of my staff with these (bought at retail, just like an end user) so they can demo our products. My company does not sell Panasonic devices, but we use them because they work and a device that fits the end user’s situation is critical to the success of a project for us. Starting to think I need to replace my new Lenovo X220t with a Panasonic C1… ;-) Am hoping Panasonic also does a Win8 variant of the Toughbook Tablet. I think Panasonic needs a slate (or two!) in its product line… Android is fine and is a better platform for OUR customers, but it is still a tougher sell than Windows...

Hope this helps. Happy to answer anything else.

-Randall Garrett-
    *Apex Software*

/end/

8. Bronsky

Thanks. This is really informative.

9. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

Just saw an add on a webpage for these tablets, they have an i5 Win8 version too, couldn't find a price but I'm betting it is way above the price of a surface. I like how they have buttons like the Fujitsu stuff. Need to do a little more digging on these tablets.

10. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like they have that covered with the Win8 Pro Toughpad FZ-G1 i5 4-8Gb, 128-256Gb SSD removable battery, plus config options for USB, GPS, Serial and Ethernet. IP65 all weather rating seems to be priced at around $2300/$2550.

It's just a touch over the Surface pricing. :D

DATA Sheet > Product Page. Pricing for both the FZ-A1 and FZ-G1 mruggedmobile.com

TOUGHPAD FZ-G1 MK1 BASE UNIT QUICK SPECS

SOFTWARE: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit COA Win 7 Pro Installed
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3437U vPro Processor – 1.9GHz Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
    MEMORY: 4GB RAM (8GB max)
    DISPLAY: 10.1" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 with LED backlighting; 10-point multi touch +
    digitizer daylight-readable – 800 nit Brighness
    CAMERA: 720p Web Cam Front Facing Fixed Focus with Microphone and 3MP Rear w/LED light
    STORAGE: 128GB Solid State Drive No Optical Drive
    WIRELESS: Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0 (Class 1) + EDR, Dual antenna pass-through
    POWER SUPPLY: Li-Ion battery pack (10.8V, typical 4400mAh, minimum 4100mAh) AC Adapter

TOUGHPAD FZ-A1 QUICK SPECS From $1299

The FZ-A1 Spec Sheet > Product Page

DURABILITY MIL-STD-810G, 4-foot drop and all-weather IP65 dust and water resistant design
    HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE Android™ tablet with hardware encryption and embedded, enterprise-grade security and management - Dual-core 1.2Ghz processor
    DISPLAY 10.1–inch, daylight-readable multi touch + digitizer
    SECURITY FIPS140-2-(Level 2) compliant for impenetrable protection
    INTERFACE AND EXPANSION MicroSD card slot; Micro-USB and Micro HDMI ports
    WIRELESS Dedicated GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth® and optional 4G LTE
    WARRANTY 3-year warranty with business-class support

TOUGHPAD JT-B1 QUICK SPECS From $1195

Toughpad JT-B1 Spec Sheet > Product Page

DURABILITY MIL-STD-810G, 5-foot drop and all-weather IP65 dust and water resistant design
    HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE Android™-powered tablet with software encryption for enterprise-grade security and management - Dual Core 1.5Ghz processor
    DISPLAY 7-inch, daylight-readable, four-point multi touch screen with Corning® Gorilla® Glass 2
    INTERFACE AND EXPANSION Micro-USB port and MicroSDHC card slot for maximum connectivity, expansion for barcode and magstripe readers attachments*
    WIRELESS Dedicated GPS, Wi-Fi, NFC, Bluetooth® and optional 4G LTE
    POWER High-capacity-user replaceable battery
    WARRANTY 3-year warranty with business-class support

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015