Toughbook Cf18 Questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Sergei, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LindsayO

LindsayO Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm very new to tablets and this forum. ...... (originally from a pm) There are a couple on e-bay here in the UK at the moment and I was wondering if this might be a good way to get a real bargain.

I have lots of questions, and I apologise in advance if the information is publicly available -- I have looked on the Panasonic website -- but I'm finding very confusing as they keep directing me back and forth between different country sites

Anyway here are my questions.
    1. Screen configurations: there seem to be two versions : one with pen-only input, the other with a touchscreen -- if I buy a pen-only version can I reconfigure it for finger input?
    2. If Windows XP Pro is installed can I also install Windows Tablet -- should I?
    3. Panasonic is bringing out the new CF-19 and talks about backward compatability with previous hardware -- do you know what this means -- could I for instance replace the CF18's cpu or motherboard with a CF19's?

Thanks for your time
    Lindsay

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No.... The pen has the ability to send the digital charge back to the screen.

Yes and Yes..... With XP Tablet Ed you will get all the items such as the Tablet PC Input Panel and Control Panel programs that will allow you to use the machine to it's best use.

It is probably relating to other items you can plug in like the docking station etc.
    It would not relate though to items such as Motherboards.
    Motherboards are integral parts of the tablet system, an individual can not simply exchange one motherboard for another.
    CPU's can also be problematic to alter. First question you would need to find out is if it is a socketed CPU or soldered.
    If it's socketed, that's the first step in looking to change it ticked.

3. LindsayO

LindsayO Pen Pal - Newbie

-- well i've gone with the x41 so all this is academic at this point ---- but the cf18 is built so that the hard drive is removable right

i had a british gas engineer at the house fixing my boiler the other day and he had a cf18. he really liked it for his job -- since it cut down on paper reports and made it easier to access info but found the screen size annoying -- I must say it looked very sweet -- but one look told me it wasn't practical for my needs -- hopefully the 12 inch screen will be big enough

i'd still go for a CF18 if I could get one dirt cheap on e-bay

4. Sergei

Sergei Digital Artist

I agree with what P8RSON said but I want to add a couple of points.

If you see a model on sale with ordinary XP Pro, this almost certainly means it is the touch rather than the pen digitizer version. (To be really certain, get the model number.) Although you can install Tablet PC Edition instead, you won't have as nice an experience as you do with the digitizer, which features greater accuracy as well as pressure sensitivity. Unless fingertip control is important to you, the digitizer version is preferable.

Also, obtaining Tablet PC Edition could be a problem. It's not something you can just buy separately.

This applies only to external peripherals like docking stations and vehicle mounts. (A big consideration in the sort of situations where CF-18/19s are most often used.) I think none of the internals will be swappable except the hard drive, as everything else - processor, memory, even battery - is upgraded.

Anyway, the processors are the Ultra Low Voltage versions which are I think always soldered in rather than socketed.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Segei, just to let you know, the Fujitsu P1610 which has a Passive Screen comes with Windows XP Tablet Edition.

6. gentleman_14686

gentleman_14686 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can I install Vista or windows XP SP2 at thoughbook cf 18

7. gentleman_14686

gentleman_14686 Pen Pal - Newbie

How I can Breake the password on the taplet pc edition

8. Sergei

Sergei Digital Artist

(I had completely forgotten I was on this forum three years ago!)

The answer to your first question is yes. The answer to your second question is that I doubt anyone will help you break a password unless you can show you have a legitimate reason to.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.