Touchsmart IQ500 series software

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by myrkr, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Dojomann

Dojomann Convertible Converter

Hey guys,

I've got a tx2000 series tablet (the tx2110ca to be precise [yes, im in Canada]) and I was thinking how awesome it would be if we could all get our hands on the touchsmart 2.0 software that's included with the iq500 series touchsmart computers.

From what I've been able to find so far, you can actually get some core components of the software off of HP's website, and it actually seems to work very well, albeit buggy probably due to missing components.

Anyways, is there anyone on these forums who has access to or owns one of these beasts? I'm sure we could just grab the swsetup folder off of them, dissect it and take only the touchsmart suite and nab it for ourselves.

That would beat the pants off of this crappy quickplay nonsense we're getting on this end.

I'm honestly tempted to go to my nearest futureshop/bestbuy with a usb key and sneak some swsetup goodness off on home.

2. grajohnson75

grajohnson75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been thinking the same thing... the Quickplay software really is junk and the Touchsmart PC's software looks beautiful and more importantly useful. HP should release an update with a modified version so that TX2XXX owners can enjoy the benefits of this handy program.

Meanwhile, I would love to here if anyone grabs a version and gives it a try.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

It's going to take some hacking to get it to behave properly.

I installed the application update from HP's site, after extracting it and running th HPSetupTouchSmart.msi that's deep w/in the folder.

It is kind of wonky....which i guess is to be expected since this isn't the correct platform for it. It definitely felt like it was missing components, so i went on to try & install the updates for the other components (media, calendar notepad) and recieved the error message that it can only be installed on Touchsmart Systems of HP Media Smart Systems.

4. grajohnson75

grajohnson75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Eh too bad... it looks like some really cool software. How was the GUI?? I haven't acually seen it in person just in videos.

5. DRTigerlilly

There were obviously components missing like the media/calendar stuff, all the one's i was trying to add on.

Scrolling in it felt weird though

here's a flickr set of it
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ksbarwise/sets/72157606421840929/show/

Things are obviously missing and should also mention it felt very slow and buggy.

I know that the Touchsmart are more powerful machines but really how much should it take to run this thing?

6. DRTigerlilly

Also forgot to mention that browsing in the Touchsmart browser is painfully slow.

7. Dojomann

Well, I ripped the touchsmart software from a touchsmart pc at work. Copied that along with a few registry entries and some "update" softpaqs from HPs website and everything seems to be working beautifully. Probably a BIT slower than what you'd see on an actualy touchsmart pc, but very usable overall.

Only thing that doesn't work is the built in webcam feature... but for all my webcam uses I have that youcam app that comes with the computer (neat but useless) and obviously it works in all the popular IMs.

8. Melagius

Melagius Pen Pal - Newbie

Anything else ever come of this?

9. Melagius

Melagius Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess not, heh.

10. Dojomann

Well, I mean what more do you want? I'd happily post the touchsmart software here for everyone to download, but I think it's illegal, but it will definitely work properly with an hp tablet pc as well.