TouchScreen clicking by itself?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by cclee, Mar 26, 2011.

1. hburger

hburger Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been having the clicking by itself problem on and off since I purchased the ASUS EP121. A few months ago I read through these posts and tried to figure out what triggered the behavior. ASUS did say I could send in my tablet to be "fixed", but I was nervous about doing that, based on some of the problems I had read about. After trying changing the screen display resolution to avoid the upper right corner (found out that there are resolutions that you definitely want to avoid!), removing the touchpen, rebooting, etc. I have stumbled onto something that I still can't believe is working for me (for the last 3 weeks, don't know if the clicking by itself will eventually come back). Get this - I removed the tablet cover that also serves as a tablet stand! Every since I did that, I have not had the clicking by itself happen once! I can now keep my windows full screen, without having them close when the clicking begins to happen. Don't ask me why and I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but I thought I would offer up my experience because it was very helpful to me to know that others were having the same strange behavior that I was.

Please let me know if you try this and it does or doesn't work. I have worked with a lot of computers over the years and am curious as to why this would work (heating issue when the cover is on?).

2. chapmattman

chapmattman Pen Pal - Newbie

I had tried that it didn't resolve the problem. Since I installed Windows 8 the problem seems to happen less, with a very occasional recurrence. However, even in desktop mode Win 8 seems to have adjusted the red X to close things ever so slightly, so in Metro Apps it is not a bother (you don't close with the Red X), and in Desktop it only occasionally happens and it just causes the screen to flicker a little bit, until I take out the pen and re-use it.

Now if they could just get Touch Toggle to work on the EP121 it would be perfect.

3. hburger

hburger Pen Pal - Newbie

chapmattman, you were right! The clicking came back in the last couple of days. Today, I researched how to update the BIOS and updated to version 603 (the description says "Update Touch Solution"). The clicking itself has now stopped - we'll see how long it is before it starts again!

4. goat

goat Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I had never used the touch because of the awkwardness of it but now with the new BIOS 603 and the new RAM & SSD coming tomorrow I'll try again.

5. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

Check for dust particles inside your screen.

My Tm2 started to have the same issue you guys are having soon after dust got into the screen through the top left corner, so definitely not a coincidence on my case.

Only way to stop the clicking was to replace the screen… :(

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  6. chapmattman

chapmattman Pen Pal - Newbie

@hburger, let me know how that works out for you. i am still using Win 8 CP and the touch screen clicking is a non-issue. there are plenty of other issues, bur at least that one is gone.

;)

7. hburger

hburger Pen Pal - Newbie

@chapmattman, it's been a week now and still no clicking in the upper right corner! I have visited the BIOS 603 thread and no one mentions it there, but so far, so good!

8. tannerwooden

tannerwooden Pen Pal - Newbie

I also have the problem. Just to add to the confusion, I have a sort-of solution. I give the corner (top right of course) a squeeze. This stops it for me every time. When I see a dominant solution (works for everyone who tries it long term), I'll try it. Until then I'll keep on squeezin'.

9. JemyM

JemyM JemyM

Sent my device to ASUS to the support in Sweden the 7th of Mars. After that the device disappeared. After being in contact with ASUS numerous times I was informed that it was sent to a specialized group in Czech Republic. Today I got a reply to one of many letters that told me that he found out why my device haven't been returned to me, the group in Czech Republic demands €430 ($549) that consists of a new LCD-display, a new back cover, repair costs and shipping costs. They claim the warranty is void because it's a "Customer Induced Problem". The bill was sent to the Swedish support desk the 2nd of May, which is 19 days ago and almost two months since I sent them the device.

I am at a loss about what to do.

This thread claims it might be fixed with a simple bios update now. Is that true?

I do not think I will pay this price. I can probably buy and install a new LCD myself if the bios doesn't work. But that's my report.

10. goat

goat Scribbler - Standard Member

There was a ASUS EP121 that recently was sold on eBay with a broken screen. I can tell you that yes if they repair the screen after you authorized them to you have to pay for the repairs or you can forfeit the EP121. They'll resell it to convert repair costs. They have channels for that.