TouchScreen clicking by itself?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by cclee, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Which ASUS repair centre..? Should register a complain through their web technical support.
    or do what some member did place tapes to isolate boards.

2. lesarrow

lesarrow Pen Pal - Newbie

I wanted to add my experience to this thread.

I have owned the EP121 since January. Picked it up in Las Vegas at Fry's Electronics. I have had one other reoccurring problem prior to this one. It is a non-responsive touchscreen which is often fixed by holding down the button on the side of the screen.

Yesterday, a "clicking by itself" problem occurred. One thing I have noticed when this occurs is if I take the stylus and press it against the screen, it says "alt+shift" in bubble text. Also, if I bring up the virtual keyboard using the hardware key, the alt and the shift keys are highlighted. The virtual keyboard is non-responsive so I am unable to unhighlight the alt or shift keys.

However, I have found a workaround when this happens. If I put the tablet to sleep using the hardware power slider, I can get out of this mode. When the tablet awakens the alt and shift keys are still stuck. I can unhighlight them but the keyboard still will not respond properly for me to enter my password. However, if I choose "change user", the keyboard resets and I can get back into the tablet and use it normally (until the silly problem happens again).

So my question for all of you with this problem is: Does your alt and shift keys also show stuck when using the hardware button to bring up the virtual keyboard? Does it say "alt+shift" in bubble text when you touch the stylus to the screen? If so, then we have the same problem and perhaps it isn't hardware related as seems to be the consensus thus far.

--Les

3. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Les: I had that problem a few times in my slate and in my case it's not related to the touchscreen clicking by itself issue that had my first EP121. The only way to release those keys as i know is 1.reset the machine or 2.grab your hardware keyboard and press them.

If your touchscreen is clicking by itself consider RMA.

4. chapmattman

chapmattman Pen Pal - Newbie

@lesarrow

Sorry to hear you are having problems even with the TIP in the upper left corner.

This fixed it 95% for me, with an occasional click if I hold the tablet in the upper right quadrant. But it is very rare now. Rare enough to wait to ship it until the Windows 8 Beta in February.

Chap

5. chapmattman

chapmattman Pen Pal - Newbie

Argh-
    The problem is back again, it must have been just a coincidence moving the TIP and having the problem not occur.

This is definitely hardware. I think this is the price we are paying for the $50 saved on having a cheap plastic back instead of a sturdy aluminum one. Ah well, the price of a wintab!

I live in the Netherlands and bought my tablet through the states so an RMA is going to be a royal pain and will take so long I might as well wait for the Win8 Beta end of Feb. I am going to attempt the tablet surgery described HERE as soon as I havea few questions answered :

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep1...ans-touchscreen-clicking-screen-issues-2.html

Wish me luck, I will report back!

Chap

6. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

I had the same issue so i had to RMA my device (bought it in New York). I live in South America. The whole procces tool 1 month.

Good Luck

7. ShinNoNoir

ShinNoNoir Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you sure you can't just use the Dutch Asus site to RMA your device? I bought my EP121 from Amazon.de, but I live in the Netherlands.

I used http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx to describe my technical problem.

(There's also Welkom bij de Asus Benelux Reparatie Service, but none of the listed forms allow you to select EP121 as the model.)

Just a tip in advance: If you decide to RMA your device, only put your EP121 (without A/C adapter) in a box. Also, don't use your original EP121 box because they won't send it back to you.

8. UnderClock

UnderClock Pen Pal - Newbie

I also bought from amazon.com and succesfully RMA'd through Asus Netherlands. I did send without any accessories, but did send in the original box (and got it back).

Read my (mostly, except for some unforeseen delay in Czech Republic) successful experiences here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep1...ly-black-but-windows-starts-2.html#post245712

Good luck! :)

9. UnderClock

UnderClock Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought I had posted an update on this already, but after doing some research for Steve's cry for help , I realized I forgot.

Anyways. After 3 weeks of applying the workaround described above (disabling touch), I reversed it (re-enabled touch). The "ghost clicking" problem had disappeared!

It is now 5 months later, and the problem has not re-appeared. So I am quite happy.

Anyone else have experienced "miracle healings" like this?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. ThornyJohn

ThornyJohn Pen Pal - Newbie

The best run I managed by turning touch off and back on was about one month without phantom clicks (the average time before recurrence, however, is more like an hour or two), but eventually, it always comes back. I'm thinking of doing the "tape operation" next.