TouchScreen clicking by itself?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by cclee, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Pirohmaniac
    I meant shielding in the sense of electronic parts being electrically separate/ shielded from the others... because in a computer all the components are technically connected to one another, but they shouldn't have any effect on one another, but if they weren't properly separated then they would... thats my suspicion though and there is really no way to confirm it (especially with no longer having a Tm2)

I was just trying to see if the EP121 had a similar issue the Tm2 had where the state of the Wi-Fi drastically affected the frequency of random touch clicks; but it seems not.

2. ShinNoNoir

ShinNoNoir Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, I sent my slate last Monday to Asus and yesterday I received an email the repair has been finished already. :confused:

That's either really fast or they didn't do anything at all, but we'll see...

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...That's either really fast or...>>

Shin: They may have taken a look at your unit and simply replaced the entire motherboard or even the entire unit itself. Neither step takes very long.

The economics of electronics repair favors this sort of approach. Questionable parts are replaced by swapping modules, and the modules are sent to a second-tier operation that tests the suspect module and either repairs it or trashes it.

Not a very personalized approach, but these operations are all about the economics of time and touch labor...

4. Pirohmaniac

Pirohmaniac Pen Pal - Newbie

This does happen, but the wifi is the victim in most cases. Read an article a while ago about a powerful ATI card causing EMR problems and the tinfoil fix. I'm almost sure it's a loose wire inside but I can't bring myself to go looking for it yet.

While the subject is on EMR, did anybody else read the warnings in the manual? It says x-ray scanning at the airport wont hurt anything but NOT to bring it through any electromagnetic fields. I'm guessing they're referring to metal detectors. Not here though so I can't check.

5. BiueBoy

BiueBoy Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having the exact problem
    touch just randomly clicks the top right corner of my screen
    so 18 pages
    is there any consensus on how to fix this thing yet?
    it is a hardware or software problem?

6. BiueBoy

BiueBoy Pen Pal - Newbie

haha so yeah it's a hardware problem
    sitting it flat on it's back causes it to spaz out the top right corner like crazy
    flipping it over so it's screen is facing down and it immediately stops

I'm currently keeping it completely vertical right now and it hasn't done it since I started typing this
    wait lemme sit it on it's back...

haha
    yeah, happens immediately
    flipping it back on it's front stops it pretty quickly though

7. artemis2029

artemis2029 Pen Pal - Newbie

8. JemyM

JemyM JemyM

Just signing another name for this problem. Clicking like crazy in the corner. I guess I will pick the tablet apart to see if I can fix it like the other page say. RMA seems uneccessary if they just replace the tablet since the next tablet will get the same issue soon enough so it's just replacement until guarantee runs out.

9. Mrono

Mrono Scribbler - Standard Member

I did my RMA and they sent is back about 30hr later, still waiting on mine. What did they end up doing to your tablet?

10. UnderClock

UnderClock Pen Pal - Newbie

Have my EP121 since March, has been on repair once (repair of disconnected backlight).

I have been following this thread out of curiosity only. But now I am experiencing the same problem.

I have the tablet standing up (in landscape orientation, using the original folio) in a desktop replacement setup:
    - Connected to second screen (extended desktop)
    - Using a bluetooth mouse

What I see:
    - I move the mouse cursor to somewhere in the middle of the screen (e.g. the external monitor)
    - Without any object touching the EP121 or the mouse (I'm using my work pc), the cursor will move to the very upper right corner of the tablet. An animated circle will appear, indicating a physical click or touch.
    - I have seen this happening with 10 minutes in between, but also with 2 minutes between spontaneous clicks.

I now realize that this may have been going on for a couple of weeks already. I have had browser windows closing spontaneously on me. And since the upper right corner also contains the "X" for closing windows, I think this was going on.

This other thread is promising, but I don't feel like opening the EP121 myself.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep1...-fans-touchscreen-clicking-screen-issues.html

Update: I have disabled touch (Control Panel - Pen and Touch - Touch - uncheck: Use your finger as an input device. After doing this, the "touch of a ghost"-effect does not occur. In other words: it is not the pen (that is in the stylus holder) that is causing this problem.
    Of course this (disabling touch) is not a very viable workaround. I bought this tablet because of its pen AND touch capabilities. Looks like Asus should look at Krfighter's thread and do a massive callback of this device? If this happens to every user after some months of use, they need to fix this properly!