TouchScreen clicking by itself?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by cclee, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smurf

smurf Pen Pal - Newbie

Again, here is a video of what mine looked like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwa2Ul8khrY AND Ep121 bad touch screen - YouTube

I emailed ASUS and waited a week, receiving no response. I returned my EP121 and bought a new one. If you have this problem, I don't recommend any troubleshooting more advanced than cleaning the screen, disconnecting connected accessories and removing the tablet from its case. Just send the sucker back and get a new one.

If you're outside of the return window, god help you. (Because ASUS won't help you in a timely manner.)

2. greatthursday

greatthursday Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got mine back two days ago.

Unfortunately they did *not* fix the overheating issue I've been having (I still can't play HD video without the CPU throttling, sigh; but this is a less annoying issue than The Clicks).

However it has been two days and I haven't had the clicking issue ... yet. I haven't used it much with touch but the problem was becoming such that it happened almost every time I turned touch on.

The repair slip said something about an "LED Indicator Light". They did not replace any hardware; I received my original unit in its original state. BF thought maybe it was a motherboard error light that they repaired? Is this something that could cause a problem with the touch screen?

Or they could just be BS-ing me, didn't fix anything, and it just happens that the clicking issue hasn't happened yet.

Unfortunately I am outside of my return period by quite a bit, so I'm stuck with ASUS. Fortunately, in my past experiences with them, the 2nd time you send the machine in for the same problem, they tend to pay for everything and fix it all right up.

3. Pirohmaniac

Pirohmaniac Pen Pal - Newbie

It happened again yesterday but differently than before. It went to the top right and held perfectly still, click and hold. It used to vibrate and click rapidly. Hasn't come back yet.

Something else tonight though. Pen response was fine but stopped responding to my finger in all but the left first inch or so of the screen. After a minute or two it came back.

4. lilbluu

lilbluu Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine just started doing this two days ago. At first I thought it was from an update but it seems to be hardware related. If I put pressure on the top right edge of the bezel, itll start to touch by itself.

5. Pirohmaniac

That's what happens since I got it back from the service center. It keeps going until I restart and then it's gone until next time I accidentally put pressure on it again.

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

By chance is it occurring with increased succession when you guys have Wi-Fi off?

7. ShinNoNoir

ShinNoNoir Pen Pal - Newbie

I wish I could test this, but I sent my slate to Asus yesterday.

8. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

how is wifi affecting it?

9. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry I was on my Touchpad and didn't want to touch type a lot :p

To explain further, back when I had my Tm2 I (and others) saw the touchscreen clicking by itself issue (all at the same time I might add, it was VERY odd), I don't know what caused the issue, but i know that it occurred with much more frequency when Wi-Fi was off (so if I switched Wi-Fi off to save battery power then the touch interface would go crazy within a few minutes time, and it wouldn't get better unless I re-enabled Wi-Fi, or turned touch off entirely with touch control or Tm2 Control)...
    I suspect it has to do with improper electrical separation/ shielding of components, or something else entirely... though more likely is it could very well have been a software issue that had a issue after a certain date/ time (no idea how, or why, but this would explain how different people far removed from each other saw the exact issue at the same time)... conspiracy theory stuff, I know, but its what happened

I really never got the chance to see if it did the same thing under Linux or not (because Linux just ran so horribly on the Tm2), but under Windows 7 it did it quite frequently, even after a few fresh installs, and with different drivers (Wacom) during those different installs

10. Pirohmaniac

If there's a loose wire inside, shielding won't make a difference. It doesn't on the outside anyway.
    It happened to me once in Ubuntu. So...yeah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.