TouchScreen clicking by itself?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by cclee, Mar 26, 2011.

1. cclee

cclee Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone,
    I've had my EP121 for a few weeks now.
    Really enjoying it so far.

A couple of weeks ago, something weird started happening.

Everything works fine, and then suddenly the touchscreen would start clicking by itself... The pointer looks like it's on the upper right or lower right side of the screen, and it's clicking and/or right clicking by itself.

I've been able to fix this by putting the EP121 to sleep mode using the power slider, and then turning it back on. The issue comes back a little while later (sometimes soon, sometimes in 1-2 days).

I've updated drivers, done the Windows updates, tried rolling back Windows, running virus scan, and nothing has worked.

Anyone else encountering similar issues?

Any other ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks for your help!

2. homer1324

homer1324 Pen Pal - Newbie

have you tried to reset your calibration data?

3. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

your wacom pen mught have entered into mouse mode..
    did you installed wacom enhanced driver? and set pen button to switch mode.

4. three_pineapples

three_pineapples Pen Pal - Newbie

I've seen this happen, but at the bottom of the screen. Only seen it twice, and a restart fixed it.

No idea what causes it. Might be something to do with a pen/touch crossover...

5. cclee

cclee Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your replies.

More info below:

1. I just reset my calibration data to see if it helps...

2. I downloaded and installed the Wacom enhanced driver after the problem started. How can I verify that I'm currently using the Wacom enhanced driver?

3. three_pineapples: Interesting that you've seen this problem as well... Now I don't feel like I'm going crazy or that my tablet is haunted. :)

Thanks for all your help!

6. r2-d2

r2-d2 Pen Pal - Newbie

It only happened to me when theres an alien flying saucer hovering on top of my roof, the electromagnetic pulse generator produce by the craft will caused the the touchscreen to act strangely.

7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I experienced it once & it was crazy, I thought the origami experience pack UI I was using caused it, obviously I was wrong. Anyway a restart solved it & haven't seen it again & still using the Microsoft origami now ui

8. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just like others I've seen it happen once and a restart solved it. Yes, I believe it was aliens like r2-d2.

9. cclee

cclee Pen Pal - Newbie

This hasn't happened for a few hours now, and I'm crossing my fingers...

I've also set up a flying saucer deflector on top of my roof, just in case...

10. cclee

cclee Pen Pal - Newbie

Arrrgh! It's happening again!

After posting my last message, I put the tablet in sleep mode.

I came back after 25 minutes later, turn it back on, and the upper-right corner clicking thing started again... It went crazy and closed a bunch of windows. I thought I got rid of it after restarting it once, and it came right back...

This is getting super annoying. Would love to get to the bottom of this!

11. Steve1130

Steve1130 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had issues with touch freezing . It goes away with a restart but is annoying as the computer is not frozen just the touch input

12. homer1324

cclee;

here are some probing questions that might help us get to the bottom of the issue a bit better;

do you have any magnets near your screen when this happens?
    Are you using the stock pen or a different one?
    have you tried other pens?
    Does this happen when you dont have a pen near the screen?
    Does event viewer have anything to say about this?
    have you tried long pressing the front button to start the task manager to see if the mouse behaves erratically when the computer is in the state where its asking you if you want to start task manager?
    If you can start the task manager, have you tried to restart the digitizer service while this is happening? How about the process explorer.exe? (if you end explorer.exe, youcan start it again by clicking file>new task> type 'explorer.exe')

Also, the next time this happens, once thing i would do or TRY to do is to use "psr" to record the problem. (to use psr in windows, just type psr in the start menu search and open it. click record and record the problem.)

Good luck!!!

13. cclee

cclee Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Homer1324,
    Thanks for the list of questions.
    Here are answers as I try to find the cause of the problem:

1. I don't have magnets near the screen.

2. I'm using the stock pen. Haven't tried other pens.

3. It does happen when there are no pens near the screen.
    I've tried turning off the Bluetooth keyboard, and putting the pen away in its compartment. And it still happens...

4. Haven't tried looking at the event viewer. I'm not familiar with this tool and I'll look into it...

5. When I press/long press the front button (between power slider and orientation lock?), nothing happens (task manager doesn't come up)... Hmm... Could be something here? What is that button for anyway?

6. I'll try going into task manager and restarting digitizer and explorer.exe when the clicking happens next time.

7. Never used the psr, and I'll give it a shot next time as well.

The aggravating thing is that this problem comes on and off.
    It stays away long enough (like now :)) for me to think I've solved it, and then it comes back to drive me crazy. :)

Really appreciate all your help.
    Liking the EP121 a lot, and I hope I can resolve this soon!

14. CF77

try press the edge of the screen to see if it will do the same thing.. it may be the touch sensor plate is making contact there ..uninstall Wacom enhance driver.

15. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

I think i had the same issue at my HP. That was a problem with drivers. When i was trying to find the best drivers and when i was installing lots of them... after a while...some couldnt uninstall "for good" some was for dual touch some for multitouch ect ect. The result was that i had a lots of files on c:\ in diffrent folders... so i use "find and destroy" option : F3 and type: pen\wacom\touch and delete them all... after that try to uninstall if there will be sth on the list, restart PC and install a "trusted" drivers... it helped me.

16. homer1324

4) cool, let me know if you have questions about it-- its a really powerfull tool!

5) No, the front button is the button on the front of the slate when you're looking directly at the screen. long pressing it starts the task manager. The button you're pushing is the dedicated keyboard button (starts the OSK) and long pressing it acts as an esc button.

and yea that really sucks dude but hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this and the slate will be that much sweeter because of it :D

17. cclee

cclee Pen Pal - Newbie

Homer1342!
    I've away on a business trip and haven't been able to use the tablet as much.
    I just tried it again and the same problem exists.
    Your list is super helpful, and I've been working through it. :)

I've tried more of the tips you mentioned below:

"Does event viewer have anything to say about this?"
    ** I just tried this and trying to interpret it... What type of stuff should I be looking for?

"have you tried long pressing the front button to start the task manager to see if the mouse behaves erratically when the computer is in the state where its asking you if you want to start task manager?"
    ** Yes, just tried this! The mouse also goes to the upper right hand corner (erratically) when I pressed the front button and got to the task manager...

"If you can start the task manager, have you tried to restart the digitizer service while this is happening?
    ** Which one is the digitizer service?

"How about the process explorer.exe? (if you end explorer.exe, you can start it again by clicking file>new task> type 'explorer.exe')"
    ** Ended explorer.exe. Still happened. Restarted explorer.exe, and still there too...

"Also, the next time this happens, once thing i would do or TRY to do is to use "psr" to record the problem. (to use psr in windows, just type psr in the start menu search and open it. click record and record the problem.)"
    ** Used PSR.. What a great tool! Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately it recorded the steps as "user right clicked on mouse" or "user press button", etc... It describes what's happening on the screen and isn't revealing any insights.

I also tried pressing the edge of the screen to see if the issue is triggered... Doesn't seem to be happening when do that.

Anyway... As I'm typing this, the problem isn't happening. It comes and goes.

What's the best way (besides doing a clean install) to make sure that I only have 1 proper pen driver installed?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

18. CF77

Try un-install pen drivers, mouse, or the touch drivers that you had previously installed and then re-install them through windows update.. possible a conflict.

the eGalaxtouch driver from the EETI site is totally incompatible with Wacom pen driver by Wacom

19. tgoode

tgoode Pen Pal - Newbie

While that may be the experience you had, I experienced something different. The eGalaxtough driver worked fine with my tablet and the Wacom driver. I have uninstalled it, but only because it doesn't have a simple way to temporarily disable touch.

20. CF77

Which Wacom driver version do you have?

If other has installed the eGalaxtouch package for EETI and have no issue as, pls post, I like to know how to install them...thx..