TouchKey - a universal ArtDock alternative?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by cleft, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Ok, I've picked up a SP3 and am testing it out. I've been trying to get the Radial Menu to work, and I wanted to try TouchKey as well. Perhaps some combo of the two??? Setting up a toolbar with shortcut keys seems pretty straightforward, but what I'm looking for specifically is the ability to activate three-button-mouse commands in various ways, while simultaneously using the pen to position the cursor, etc.

I need:
    1) a "scroll wheel" bar, that might let me somehow swipe up and down to simulate a middle-click + scroll wheel action while simultaneously positioning the cursor, so I can zoom in Sketchup (which zooms over the cursor position). Even better would be to "swipe and hold" in one direction (like pulling a lever) and let the scroll-wheel continue to scroll until I release-- this will let me zoom in a lot, etc. Even better would be that once I release the middle-click + scroll wheel swipe bar it would then "let go" and let me automatically go back to whatever command I previously had pressed, rather than having to manually pick the previous tool again. This is what normally happens in Sketchup, so perhaps it would happen automatically with Touchkey anyways.

2) only a middle-click button, so I can simultaneously Orbit with the pen. Even better would be something that shared the same Touchkey button as the middle-click + scroll wheel button discussed in #1. Perhaps, for example, if I pressed and held a button in the middle, it would be the middle click button, allowing me to Orbit, but if I swiped-and-held up or down to two other positions, it would zoom (and be middle-click + scroll wheel). Again, in Sketchup, once you let go of the middle-click button, it goes back to the previous key command.

3) a third button that would be a middle-click plus left-click button, which lets me Pan. Again, when I release it I go back to the previous key command.

Alternately, these all have key commands too, which is an option, but much slower. Usually, you're doing some building function and then need to navigate the model, at which point you can release the mouse buttons and continue automatically with the building functions, which is helpful.

Everything else I think I could figure out. Is this stuff possible in TouchKey?

2. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

2) and 3) can be done but 1) can't since there is no mapping for scroll wheel event in TouchKey. The only option is to use key commands as you suggested. I've read your discussion with incrediclint in his RadialMenu thread and I think he had provided the best solution given the current status of all of the available toolbars. Also I'd recommend to stick with RadialMenu since the Toolbar in the latest update is essentially a TouchKey alternative already.. not to mention that incrediclint very frequently updates and implements new feature to RadialMenu.

3. SpaceRabbit

SpaceRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you guys find a solution for the screen overlay issue? I have tried with both touchguard enabled and disabled and as soon as I fire up touch key I get the "screen brightening" with the darker box around the cursor. Any help would be most appreciated!

4. CaptainPorcupine

CaptainPorcupine Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi folks, I created a video tutorial for Touchkey beginners. I hope it helps some people out because I absolutely LOVE this app.

View the tutorial here:

Shizaru, cleft, HeavyHanded and 2 others like this.
  5. SpaceRabbit

Wow, thank you so much, this is just what I needed right now! Thanks!

6. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Have you guys taken a look at incrediclint Radial Menu? It's in the Software sub-forum. Is super easily customizable and he has global coding to recognize pen + touch at the same time.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

7. SpaceRabbit

I have taken a quick look see. One thing that is important to my workflow is having keys that I can hold down while using the pen for manipulation (for instance needing to hold down alt while rotating around a 3d model). In the past, I worked on a Samsung Series 7 slate and used Artdock and it was magnificiant for this. So far, Touchkey is the only solution I can see for the SP3 that will allow that same workflow for me.

Thanks!
    -BT

8. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Both TouchKey and Radial Menu can do that. He added support for touch+pen to the toolbar few months ago. It works just like ArtDock and it's compatible with most Windows TPCS. The advantage over TouchKey is that is super easy and a breeze to create the the toolbars that you need. It's in English. It's adaptive: it can automatically change its layout and shortcuts depending on the software running in the background. It can record long-a$$ macros of your liking per button press. And it's developer is super attentive to requests so development never stops.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

9. SpaceRabbit

Sweet, thank you Ron, I'll look into it, sounds like it could be a winner.

10. kellyuxd

kellyuxd Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you solve this? I'm using one too.