TouchKey - a universal ArtDock alternative?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by cleft, Jul 2, 2014.

1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This looks great cleft! I'd be all over this if I had a Surface Pro 3!

2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Yep. I had a chance to try it out on my SP3 and it's almost as smooth as the ole mighty ArtDock - a little clunky sometimes disappearing when touching the buttons when the pen is simultaneously making contact with the screen. Response is a bit choppy at times as well.

I had a chance as well to try it out on the x230t and down right it doesn't work. Not even stand alone with the pen far away from the screen... No response or disappearing all the time... It'd definitely make a good tool if it worked on my beast as there is where I have Photoshop. On my SP3 I only have Manga and SBP 7 and those are pretty much tablet friendly

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

3. guai33333

guai33333 Pen Pal - Newbie

It's a shame there's no toggle option.
    Actually "1:toggle" you marked on the screenshout means only working you keep pressing the button, not working if you release your finger.

4. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

@lblb Thanks! Big credit goes to dream3, KonArtist3D for their icon design.

@ron2k_1 I also found TouchKey less stable on my AVTN8. It's good that there still is an ArtDock-like option for Atom tablets though. Nevertheless pure soft key solution is not ideal imo, a combination of hardware and software is. I've tried only TouchKey in the past weeks and was annoyed having pressed wrong buttons far more often. It was never the case with a dedicated external keyboard or the old good Razer Nostromo. I actually found a more portable device called Zeemote. Photoshopped it being attached to my x201t and looks promising.
    [​IMG]
    Too bad its key binder program is too restrictive.

@guai33333 Right.. However it does toggle when I use Simple mode (pen or touch only). I don't suppose if ArtDock behaves the same way? Unfortunately we can't seem to reach the dev for feedback and suggestions.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  5. Count Vertsalot

Count Vertsalot Pen Pal - Newbie

Wait. It works in Zbrush on a Surface Pro 3? Like really works as in hotkey pressing with pen input at the same time? I just returned the goddamn thing.

6. Gary.M

Gary.M Pen Pal - Newbie

Hate to say so but...yes

7. Count Vertsalot

Thanks for confirming. I just reordered a SP3. I got the 128gb i5 by mistake last time anyway.

8. Count Vertsalot

This does everything an artist would need. Why isn't this more popular?

9. obtusity

obtusity Pen Pal - Newbie

Another big "Thank you!" to cleft for announcing and translating/documenting TouchKey for us. Works very nicely with FireAlpaca on a Thinkpad Tablet 2, and is a lot better than trying to use the Windows on-screen keyboard app.

10. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

You're welcome :D Btw I've just noticed that TouchKey has released a new version and was documented in English as well. Hope it helps.

ron2k_1 likes this.