TouchKey - a universal ArtDock alternative?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by cleft, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheForge

TheForge Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Cleft. I just made an account so I can thank you for posting this. I got my Surface Pro 3 yesterday and spent most of last night and this evening trying to find something like this that worked. I got excited when I saw ArtDock and that cemented the choice of buying a Surface but didn't realise it wouldn't work properly on an SP3. I've tried Suit Toolbar which outright didn't work. Artdock 2, Toolbar Creator and Chomp Toolbar, all of which didn't work or didn't work the way I wanted. Most of them I had to keep taking my Stylus away from the screen in order to use the buttons and after using a Wacom Intuos and Cintiq for the past decade, that amount of change to my workflow just doesn't fly for me.

So thanks for posting this as well as the fantastic tutorial on how to set it up - I had it going in no time with no faffing around.
    The only thing I don't particularly understand is the macro and process list function. I've set it up for use in Photoshop CC and no matter what I typed for the process name (the name of the exe file, the name that showed up in the task manager) it just wouldn't automatically switch to my photoshop.txt toolbar. I worked around it by just sticking the photoshop key binds in the macro.txt folder but I will be setting up another toolbar for ZBrush so having it switch on the fly would be great. Alternatively using the toolbar switching (99) option would be great but I don't quite get how to make that work. Would it possible to get a quick example of what the processlist should look like for Photoshop CC and ZBrush to call up photoshop.txt and zbrush.txt? Or just a clearer example of how the 99 and numkey list works?

Thanks again man, much appreciated.

2. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

@TheForge
    My bad! In processList.txt, there should NOT be any spaces between process_name, the comma and toolbar_name.
    Code:
    ,macro
    Photoshop,photoshop
    ZBrush,zbrush
    Couple of notes, the processList is case-sensitive so make sure you type process names exactly as they appear in Task Manager without extension .exe. Also photoshop.txt and zbrush.txt need to reside in the same folder as TouchKey.exe.

For what it's worth, you can define key type 99 in, say macro.txt, as follow
    Code:
    PS,,99,photoshop,1,1
    ZB,,99,zbrush,1,1
    Space,,1,+32,1,2
    Undo,,0,+17 +90 -90 -17,1,1
    Redo,,0,+17 +89 -89 -17,1,1

It will switch from the current toolbar (macro.txt in this example) to photoshop.txt or zbrush.txt when you press button PS or ZB respectively. Again photoshop.txt and zbrush.txt need to reside in the same folder as TouchKey.exe.

3. TheForge

Thanks buddy, I just gave it a try and both methods work flawlessly. My SP3 is now the perfect little portable studio. The only thing I dislike about this little application is that it seems to put some sort of overlay on the screen that sort of brightens everything except for a box around where the mouse pointer/stylus is. I've taken a look through the settings.ini but can't figure out if there's something in there causing it. If anyone knows a way to get rid of that it'd be absolutely perfect - but tbh I'm just happy to have something that works exactly the way I want it too right down to the slide buttons for zooming and brush size.

Thanks Cleft

EDIT: Well, almost worked. The hotkeys are switching to ZBrush when it's in focus but for some reason the touch buttons don't work when ZBrush is in focus :(

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  4. cleft

Have you tried unticking Use TouchGuard options in Settings window (or set isEnabled=False in Settings.ini)? I think it was the culprit.

5. TheForge

I've turned off touchguard but the buttons still dont work in ZBrush. Any other ideas?

6. cleft

None, sorry :( Anyway did the toolbar switcher approach work for you?

TheForge likes this.
  7. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Other similar apps don't work with ZBrush unless you run the app as admin. Have you tried running TouchKey as admin?

TheForge likes this.
  8. TheForge

Yeah cleft, the switching works perfectly - thanks a bunch for the help. And thanks lblb, running it as admin worked perfectly so I can now use it with ZBrush.

Top class help, thanks guys and thanks again for pointing this app out cleft.

9. cleft

No prob.. look forward to see lots of your artist folks work :vbbiggrin:

10. cleft

Here is an example of TouchKey based on ArtDock layout to use mainly with Photoshop (thanks @dream3 for the icons). This will replace your macro.txt (inside TouchKey folder) so make sure to back it up beforehand.

[​IMG]

Instruction:
    1. Make a backup of macro.txt (inside TouchKey folder)
    2. Download TouchKey-master.zip and extract it into a folder.
    3. Copy all files and folders in TouchKey-master folder and paste into your TouchKey folder. Replace/Merge all existing files/folders if prompted.

Hope some can find it useful.

dream3 and ron2k_1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.