TouchKey - a universal ArtDock alternative?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by cleft, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

@ron2k_1
    I should have referred key_sequence as hotkey_sequence, Down (+) and Up (-) key as button press and button release event. A hotkey sequence defines which hotkey that the button sends. It simplifies original expression in ArtDock-like scripts so that instead of writing
    Code:
    {Ctrl Down}{z Down}{z Up}{Ctrl Up}
    one can write
    Code:
    +17 +90 -90 -17
    Both mean "press Ctrl, press z, release z, release Ctrl"

As for flick button, this demo from the developer's website might give more insights

@Steve B
    I don't have high expectation for X230T either. Devices recognised as tablets with 2 Touch Points by Windows like X201T/X220T/X230T seem not fully functional for some reason. Anyway it's great if you could test TouchKey on both ThinkPads!

TouchKey also provides a tool called TouchChecker which I presume that could make profiles for devices not listed in compatible lists. Gotta wait for the translation from my friend though.

@dream3
    1-It simply lays TouchKey on top of the Windows taskbar literally. Does not make any difference essentially.
    2-To be frank I don't fully know how TouchGuard works. Originally S7S/EP121 users can still use ArtDock with touch off on Windows 7. It's hence perfect palm protection, avoiding any stray line when drawing. However the turn off method that ArtDock implemented does not work on Windows 8/8.1 and TouchGuard comes into play here. If TouchKey works out of the box, I think it doesn't hurt leaving as it is.
    3-I'm afraid I don't know either. Maybe ask the developer? For any coding-enthusiasts, it should be possible with couples of regexp line.

@lblb
    Haha now I understand a little bit how PR works. Anyway have you tried contacting the developer?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    ron2k_1 likes this.
  2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I saw it from the day cleft posted it. But it's daunting to accept the fact that it is in "gibberish". Had it been in English, I think it would have gained a lot more momentum a lot quicker. I really want to see what I can do with it on my x230t, but even the website is hard to follow with the translation chrome spits out.
    I think this along with your toolbar creator it'd be all hobbyists and pro's would need.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

3. cleft

@dream3
    Just curious, doesn't ArtDock work on Surface Pro 2 already? It would be redundant to have TouchKey running as well imo.

4. Takanu

Takanu Pen Pal - Newbie

Although it seems rather difficult to make more custom toolbars, this is nice. I've tried it on my Sony VAIO Duo 13 and it seems to work without issue :D. This is a particularly nice toolbar as the script i'm using for the CHOMP Toolbar has iffy tap-old support, and has a few other bugs I can't currently eradicate, and it would be nice to adapt it's design to this script. Is there an advanced guide on creating alternate user interfaces for this?

Oh also, the current version on their site doesn't seem to have the Touch Guard, settings panel or macro creator that's posted on the SP3 forum section (although that version doesn't work properly with this tablet :p). Why is this?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  5. miko3d

miko3d Pen Pal - Newbie

tested on a Sony vaio flip 15 ,it doesnt seem to work :(

6. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hahah I was back here exactly to ask you that question. I thought touchkey had some sort of different functionality that would bring a better experience for sp2 users. Apparently it's the same thing.

Can you confirm that to me? I dont know why I was under the impression I could use the touchkey buttons without lifting the pen off the screen, like I would with real buttons. :(

7. cleft

@Takanu
    I honest don't know. TouchKey doesn't seem to be open-source either. Anyway the dev has his twitter account and email address (webmaster@kannagi.net) posted on the site. Maybe it's worth to contact him?

Oh I included TouchGuard in that archive for testing purpose. It's not provided in the current version on the site. MacroEditor otherwise should be there though, and Settings panel can be accessed by right clicking TouchKey icon in the Notification area.

@dream3
    ArtDock is already fully functional on SP2 right? This is what I saw in most videos on youtube. Also surfaceproartist has provided a version for SP1 and 2 on his blog as I remember.

I'm afraid I can't say about TouchKey on SP2 though. The Surface are listed as fully working but there is a small footprint that says something about lifting the pen I think.

8. cleft

@miko3d
    Can you launch TouchChecker.exe, touch the 4 corners of the screen and record the maximum values of TouchWidthMax (X axis) and TouchHeightMax (Y axis) respectively in the 2 boxes? It's recommended to swipe to the 4 corners instead of a single tap though.
    [​IMG]

After that click Save settings and OK if prompted, then End to quit the tool. Double check TouchWidthMax and TouchHeightMax in Setting.ini if they are set to the values you found.

If however the 2 values remain 0 in TouchChecker or you still can't press any key on TouchKey, it's very likely that TouchKey is only partially compatible with Flip 15. You thus need to switch to Simple mode to use TouchKey by choosing Others in Settings windows. A possible alternative is to go the hard way for full functionality with Takanu's guide
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/guide-getting-your-tablet-working-with-touch-toolbars.63949/

miko3d likes this.
  9. miko3d

miko3d Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Cleft,thx

confirmed, the tool works fine on my surface Pro 2 ,but refuses to work on the flip 15...followed your last guide and no values from touchChecker whatsoever on the flip.
    really shame, as much as I like the Pro 2 , the flip is the tablet that has managed to full fill my needs for a "workstation" on the go (maya mari,zbrush,photoshop)and this tools seems to be the answer for simultaneous use of touch and pen which would be sooo useful :(
    Luckily lbl is doing a fantastic job supporting and improving his toolbar,so all good.

But its puzzling why it would work on the vaio duo 13 and surface pro 3 and not with the flip as it shares the same pen technology (ntrig)may be something to do with the touch panel hardware?

10. Takanu

Takanu Pen Pal - Newbie

It's all to do with the touch panel, and not the stylus technology. If your touch screen doesn't use the same HID or sends near identical touch messages to the ones supported, it won't work. You could always try editing the MaxX and Y values on the Duo 13 touch profile to see if it'll work, but I doubt it.

Ill try emailing the developer if he understands English, to see if a more customisable variant is possible. Id love to support the user interface design of a touch toolbar that is flexible and compatible with a lot of devices, as although I figured out how touch profiles work, i'm not great on the technical end :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.