TouchKey - a universal ArtDock alternative?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by cleft, Jul 2, 2014.

1. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

A brief chat with the Clover Paint developer had brought this tool to my attention.

TouchKey is essentially a better front-end for ArtDock, and most importantly provides compatibility strength of Toolbar Creator with pen- or touch-only mode aka Simple mode on tablets with which TouchKey is not fully functional.

Fully functioning tablets (can use touch when pen is near the screen) include, but may not limited to:
    • ASUS: VivoTab TF810, VivoTab Note 8, EP121 / B121
    • DELL: Latitude 10
    • Fujitsu: QH55 / m (WQ1 / m)
    • Lenovo: ThinkPad Tablet 2
    • Samsung: ATIV Pro
    • Microsoft: Surface Pro 1/2/3
    • Sony: Vaio Duo 11
    Known tablets that are partially functional (can NOT use touch when pen is near the screen):
    • Fujitsu: QH77 / m (WQ2 / m)
    • Wacom: Cintiq Companion
    • Lenovo: ThinkPad X201T
    Some screenshots, please excuse the rough translation
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

*edit2: how to customise TouchKey
    In order to create a new toolbar, first one should make a profile that specifies in which application(s) this toolbar is used. Say I want to create a toolbar to use with Clip Studio Paint. The steps include
    1. Creating a text file named "processList.txt" and "csp.txt" (without quotes) inside TouchKey folder
    2. Opening processList.txt and typing the following in
      Code:
      ,macro
      CLIPStudioPaint,csp
    The 1st line means that a toolbar defined in "macro.txt" (also inside TouchKey folder) is used as default toolbar. This is actually the toolbar shown when you first launch TouchKey.exe. The 2nd line tells TouchKey to switch to the toolbar defined in "csp.txt" when process CLIPStudioPaint.exe is launched. You can add more profiles by adding new lines with the same format
    Code:
    process_name,toolbar_name
    *note: there is no space between the comma and toolbar_name, also process_name can be found in Task Manager

Next, open csp.txt and define a toolbar, for eg as follow
    Code:
    P,,0,+80 -80,1,1
    E,,0,+69 -69,1,1
    Space,,1,+32,1,2
    Undo,,0,+17 +90 -90 -17,1,1
    Redo,,0,+17 +89 -89 -17,1,1
    +,,0,+17 +107 -107 -17,1,1
    -,,0,+17 +109 -109 -17,1,1
    TAB,,0,+9 -9,2,1
    Zoom,,2,+17 +187 -187 -17/+17 +189 -189 -17,1,2
    The 1st line indicates number of columns (3). From the 2nd line onwards, buttons are in this format.
    Code:
    caption,path_to_button_image,button_type,hotkey_sequence,button_width,button_height

It results to the toolbar on the left. Number of columns can also be changed to 2 which results to the toolbar on the right.
    [​IMG]

That's it!

* note:
    • in hotkey_sequence, + and - indicate button press and release event, numbers indicate key ids. Eg: +17 +90 -90 -17 is equivalent to say "press Ctrl, press z, release z, release Ctrl". Here Ctrl's and Z's ids are 17 and 90 respectively. Complete list can be found in a weird named text file. It's â}âNâìâtâ@âCâïÄdùl.txt on my computer, might be different on others.
    • you don't need to manually define most of the hotkeys though. Open MacroEditor.exe and follow these 7 steps
      [​IMG]
      The example defines a vertical Zoom slider that sends Ctrl + plus or Ctrl + minus. The button uses image b_1.png, is of type 2, has hotkey_sequence +17 +187 -187 -17 /+17 +189 -189 -17 for Ctrl + plus/Ctrl + minus, and size 1x2.
    • Button size can be change in Setting.ini, entry ButtonSize
    • There are 2 more button types that are not covered by MacroEditor.exe:
      • 6 (flick): allows sending hotkeys in 4 directions. Standard hotkey_sequence is replaced by upto 5 sequences. For example
        Code:
        ,,6,*p/*q/*r/*s/*t,1,1
        defines an 1x1 button that sends letter p when pressed, and q/r/s/t when swyped left/up/down/right. Demo (launch a different TouchKey.exe in yet-another-weird-named TouchKey subfolder):

• 99 (toolbar switcher): switch to a predefined toolbar. Standard key_sequence is replaced by this toolbar name. For example
        Code:
        ,,99,numkey,1,1
        defines an 1x1 button that switch to a toolbar defined in numkey.txt
    ==========================================================
    *edit1: As Surface Pro 3 (N-Trig) is added to the supporting list, TouchKey is no longer exclusive for Wacom I guess.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    PeeZeeOne, jaekqubp, obtusity and 2 others like this.
  2. cleft

Here is an example of TouchKey based on ArtDock layout to use mainly with Photoshop (thanks @dream3 for the icons). This will replace your macro.txt (inside TouchKey folder) so make sure to back it up beforehand.

[​IMG]

Instruction:
    1. Make a backup of macro.txt (inside TouchKey folder)
    2. Download TouchKey-master.zip and extract it into a folder.
    3. Copy all files and folders in TouchKey-master folder and paste into your TouchKey folder. Replace/Merge all existing files/folders if prompted.

Hope some can find it useful.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    jaekqubp likes this.
  3. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Artdock already works with most tablet pcs as far as I know. There have been many ports, including surface pro for instance.

But it would be nice if people translated this app, for sure!

4. cleft

Please excuse my ignorance, Artdock can't work on Atom-based tablet pcs right? Also I remember having read that some Fujitsu users (@stoneseekers?) couldn't make it work either.

5. cleft

Update1: TouchKey is confirmed to have full functions on ThinkPad Tablet 2 (thanks to @Steve B) and Surface Pro 3 (thanks to @surfaceproartist and @steven)
    Update2: include a how-to in post #1

ron2k_1 likes this.
  6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I agree, Cleft. ArtDock actually has a pretty limited number of tablets it works on, if you want full functionality. Basically theSamsung series tablets and the surface pro tablets. Of course, this tool also is limited in what tablets work with it, as far as we know.

My wife has a a Thinkpad Tablet 10 though, so i might be able to try it on that.

7. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Sad it out doesn't work on your x201T, cause it means it won't work on my x230t. But nice to know it'll work on my on-the-way SP3. I'll try it when it gets here

Key_sequence and flicker action are confusing me tho.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I dunno. I'd try the x230t before is say it didn't work. Every model is different. In truth.

9. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Awesome work cleft!

Couple considerations/questions though:

1- What exactly does the "on top of taskbar" button do? I checked it but didn't notice any change.
    2- I noticed the "touchguard" implementation is sort of buggy. It works alright out of the main application but inside, not so much. I was working with photoshop and I couldn't touch anything on my desktop. However, in photoshop I could easily select stuff. The difference is that there's a huge delay or lag.
    Still not sure if it's worth using it. Have you noticed that as well?
    3- Is there a quick way to port my artdock button settings straight to the touchkey txt file? It's gonna take a long time to rewrite all that.

I'm on a surface pro 2 by the way.

10. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey cleft,

What a difference a day makes! It's still puzzling why it took so much time for people to get excited about TouchKey but it's great to see that it's finally getting some traction. Great PR job!
    Hopefully it will answer a lot of users' needs (at least for the systems for which it works) and it's especially exciting to see, after all the speculating we did, that it does work on the SP3. Now if we could only understand how the engine under the hood works...