Touch tablets can't browse the new format.

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by spinedoc77, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When browsing a thread with multiple pages you can only see the page links with a mouse over. This does not work at all with touch tablets. Kind of funny, this is a forum dedicated to touch tablets.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Using the Modern UI IE if you click on a thread that has new posts it should take you to the first unread post, my tests last night that functionality worked most of the time....

So in theory using the MUI IE you should be able to just click on the thread....

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, I've found touch operation to be much improved so far.

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Perhaps, but he wants to see the page links for all the pages. Not just to go to the last page. I use MUI IE and my experience is the same as his.

I have to agree with him that there are some clear functionality issues with this site now, for touch tablets and mobile devices in particular.

I can't, for instance, view what is the most recently updated thread for each sub-forum, when browsing all of the headings on my phone. I only get that a post was made in each subforum, and when, but not which thread it was to or by whom. Instead, I ridiculously have to enter each subforum to see. That's a pretty basic thing.

Basically means I'm currently not browsing the forums at all on my phone. Some of the stuff needs to get fixed. Hopefully it will.

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

There are certainly tradeoffs. Some things are better and some are worse; however, IMO it is overall a much better experience on my 8" Windows tablet using Modern UI IE.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Click on the New Posts link at the top and it will list all threads with new topics....

7. spinedoc77

Thanks, but those are poor solutions at best. So we are stuck with this? Did we at least get rid of the 120 second penalty when posting again. I love the site and hate to sound ungrateful, but what's stopping you guys from using forum hosting like every other forum I've been to?

8. brubenstein22

brubenstein22 Scribbler - Standard Member

Right now there's a 30-second minimum between posts.

I'm curious, what tablet/browser are you using? When I view the site on an iPad/Safari, I can see the page links for each thread without hovering.

9. spinedoc77

Seems worse for me on modern IE. Not only the touch issues but the fonts are goofy, can we adjust those? They just seem overly large and everything formats to a column that only fills 2/3 of the screen, zooming makes the fonts worse.

If its a financial issue I'm sure most of is wouldn't mind pitching in with donations.

10. spinedoc77

Its happening on IE11, both the desktop and modern version. The 30 second rule is a HUGE improvement, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.