Touch scrolling while pen inking PDF software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rigel, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rigel

Rigel Scribbler - Standard Member

I am using PDF Anotator 4, I like to pan with my finger while writing with the stylus, something I can do in one note. I want to be able to do this in a PDF annotation program. I am willing to get Adobe XI and the Ink add on, if it can do this, (and if my surface pro can run it).

I am a student so if anyone has a suggestion for any other program that may work I would love to hear them.

Richard.

crashnburn likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Of you're ok with zooming out a little bit, you can pan while touching the area outside the page, and keep the pen tool active. I personally haven't found a completely satisfying solution anywhere, so I'm also interested in alternatives.

3. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi,

While working in the Photoshop toolbar thread with Steve B, I've tested ways of scrolling/panning in different programs using some kind of toolbar based on AutoHotkey. Maybe the following little program that I've just developed may be of interest to you. I've tested it in both PDF Annotator and PDF Revu and it seems to work very well to scroll/pan with your finger without making any smudges. In fact, it's also very practical to scroll/pan using the pen. In my tests I've found it to be very useful!

If you want to try it out, you can just download the zip file from here (I've uploaded it on Mediafire.com):
    Scroller.zip

Just extract the content of the zip file anywhere on your computer. You should be able to directly use the .exe file (you don't need to install AutoHotkey). When you launch it, a blue button should appear. Just press the button with the pen or finger and move around to pan. The button should reappear when you take your finger or pen off of the screen.
    (I use Win7 64 bits and maybe the exe file will not work properly on other systems. In which case, you can install AutoHotkey on your computer, then use the .ahk file from the zip file.)

I haven't really put much time into this but I'm very open to suggestions for improvements.

If you want, you can change some parameters of the toolbar by opening the Scroller.ini file in a text editor:
    - Transparency of the toolbar can be any value from 0 (invisible) to 255 (opaque). The default is 255.
    - If Starting position is set to 0, the toolbar will start in the middle of the screen. If it's set to 1, it will start at the place it was the last time you closed it.
    - The default button size is 80x80 pixels. You can adjust that in Button_Size.
    - What this button actually does is that it looks at the movement of the cursor. If you move the cursor more than a specific step size, then it sends mouse wheel commands (mouse wheel up or down) to scroll up or down and it sends the left and right arrows to scroll horizontally. The default step size is set to 30 pixels. You can adjust that in Step_Size (i.e. a smaller step size will scroll faster).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Iblb thanks a million. That program works like charm on my Asus vivotab tf810. It is a very useful program. I used it to pan while inking in pdf annotator. Little things like these mark the difference between a very smooth and a frustrating experience in devices such as these. Thanks again. Oh, & I didn't need to install the ahk thing.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. nnthemperor

It also works in windows Journal. Great!

6. Rigel

Thanks I am downloading it now. Hope it works in Adobe XI

7. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the good words nnthemperor.
    I really didn't intend to use this thing when I was working on it but I've found out that among all the other options I have, this indeed is the most practical to pan/scroll in PDF Revu and Annotator. While I started using it with my fingers, I actually now prefer to use it with the pen. It's really useful!
    In any case, don't hesitate to suggest ways of improving it. If you're ever around reading this, would you mind telling me which version of Windows you are using it with (I use Win 7 64 bit)? Thanks.

8. Rigel

Like it so far. I am using windows 8, Msoft surface. One suggestion for me would be to make the scroll sensitive to how far you are from the start then auto scroll... Hope I am explaining it correctly. Maybe make that motion user set. I found myself moving your scroll icon to the middle of my screen so I could scroll comfortably all four directions. If I could put it in a bottom corner and just scroll out say an inch each direction to pan the page without lifting my finger and re scrolling again.

Thanks for this tool I can see myself using it a lot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

9. nnthemperor

I'm using windows 8 on an Atom Clovertrail processor. Will definitely make suggestions if I ever think up one. Right now its with me. Thanks again and keep up the good works.

10. nnthemperor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.