1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

touch screen signature

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by heidibw, Mar 30, 2011.

1. heidibw

heidibw Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I've had my Lenovo Ideapad for all of 24 hours. I bought it because I was told I could use the touch screen to capture client's signatures on release forms that are required for my work. For my tests, using my own finger, once I complete my signature on the touch screen, my signature is immediately converted back to letters. It's mandatory that I have the signature remain. How do I do this?
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I think you're going to need to have the form as a pdf, and then open it in a pdf annotating program. Then they can sign it and you can save the new pdf with the "annotation", i.e. their signature, on it.

I've never done that though, so I don't know if that's how others would do it. Just seems like how it would work.
  3. heidibw

heidibw Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, Steve. I've actually been trying to save the document as a pdf, and it won't let me without searching for a "Matching program on the web." Looks like I have to pay for the full version of Microsoft Office. Still working on this.
  4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure about older versions of MS Word (I only really ever used the 2010 version), but you should be able have the word document typed up, then find the 'pen tool' and have the customer sign the word file (be sure to save the file immediately after they signed it, and also copy it over to a USB drive/ memory card that is only for storing this data -that way it won't get accidentally deleted, or lost), but you have to be sure they write it directly on the file, and not in the hand writing recognition tool (because that tool will just convert hand writing to plain typed text)

kinda like this:
    [​IMG]

I know that the version of Acrobat I'm using also has support for reading the mouse cursor as a 'pen' so if your version of acrobat has that pen tool as well, then you can use acrobat instead of word.
  5. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

Works in older MS Word versions too, I am still on Word 2003. Go up to the toolbar area, right-click to get the list of toolbars that are being shown and activate "Ink Annotations" and "Ink drawing and writing" and play around with that to see what works best for you (and like Agent9 said, make sure you are writing on the actual Word page and NOT in the tablet input panel).
  6. heidibw

heidibw Pen Pal - Newbie

OK! Will try again! The Lenovo came with a free version of Microsoft "Starter." This is where I think the ball gets dropped. Still poking around with it, but pretty sure I'm off to buy MS Office 2010. Thanks again. Frustration was pretty high yesterday.
  7. heidibw

heidibw Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the help. Do you know any touch screen PC apps do to basic color tinting (like color splash for the iPad)? Just thought I would ask. Very new to all this.
  8. heidibw

heidibw Pen Pal - Newbie

I did it! Worked perfectly, without buying the latest version. Thanks again. Very appreciated. :)
  9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Yeah! Nice to see someone really use a tablet like it was made to be used. I'm a landscape contractor, and I always find it cool when a specialized tool does it specific task the way we other tool could.