Touch screen not working properly

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Herman000, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Herman000

Herman000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, my S7S touch screen suddenly not working properly, its look like it is not corretly sensing the correct position on the screen. Also, if I tap the screen once (one finger), the system tools will pop out, and if I tap the screen with two fingers, the keyboard will pop out.

Also, using the touch logon, it is either not working (may be due to sensing the wrong location) or I have to press hard on the screen to get it working.

I have restart the S7S manay times, or even tried to roll back to the previous update point but the problem still pesist.

Can anyone give me some advice? is there anything I can do? for example, re-calibrate the touch screen?

Thanks

So now it is clear, it is the 3rd party charger that cause the problem.
    http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-A...NXBC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1324361209&sr=8-6

Evening updat: everythings back to normal when return home, nothing has been done on the S7S, and it was in sleep mode!

P.S. the pen and the mouse work OK

Latest update: If problem persist, try download the S7S Display Driver from Samsung Web Site and Reinstall the display diver, may be it was the windows update that caused the S7S switch to another intel display driver!?

2. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

Herman: What was going on immediately before this happened? A Windows Update, possibly? Updates have been known to cause transient (and sometimes more persistent) problems, and this week's update was fairly large...

3. leocomeon

leocomeon Pen Pal - Newbie

I had exactly the same Problem yesterday. Whet I did was using system restore to get it back to the state of several days ago.I knew it was the windows up date, Shame on ms

4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I did the Windows Update this past Tuesday and had no issues with my S7S, the pen functioned normally after the update.

5. bxsteez

bxsteez Pen Pal - Newbie

Same thing just happened to me. Now the Touch screen doesn't really work at all. I'm going to try and revert but I don't think i did any windows updates.

And a restore improved the problem but its still not working correctly.

6. Steve S

<<...Same thing just happened to me...>>

...By any chance, did this happen after just coming out of hibernation? If so, first try shutting down and restarting before you resort to stronger measures...

7. bxsteez

bxsteez Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope. I haven't hibernated in days and I tried a full reboot. I turned off fast start and did a restart and its still not working properly.

Actually it seems like the touch layer is working but its registering a press in the bottom right hand corner all the time. This may have to go back to Samsung.

8. bxsteez

bxsteez Pen Pal - Newbie

Very strange.... I went into safe mode and it was doing the same thing and then I went into the bios just to look around and I didn't change a thing and then when i booted back into windows it started working just fine..... STRANGE!

9. Herman000

Yes, I am 99% sure it was the MS update. I just put the S7S into sleep modw after the update was completed, and then when I reach my office and turn on the machine again, I then noticed the touch behave strangely.

I tried the re-calibration of the touch screen in Setting->Display->Calibration and I am not sure whether it worked or not, but I guessed that it may be due to the new Intel Display Driver? So I download the S7S Display driver (64bit) from Samsung web site and re-installed the driver. And it worked OK again!

10. Steve S

<<...I download the S7S Display driver (64bit) from Samsung web site and...>>

...If it happens again, just try shutting down, waiting several seconds and then restarting. Some Wacom users report that this can be effective, although not everyone has reported success with this work-around...

11. Herman000

12. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

There is a separate thread I created for touch problems while charging. I also suspect the 3rd party charger I purchased is causing problems, since I don't seem to have the problems with the stock charger that came with my slate. I don't have the equipment here to test the 3rd party adapter. I suspect it is generating the required 19V (since the slate seems to work and charge) - but that the outputted signals may not be clean - which may be interfering with the touch hardware.

Can you clarify that the link you provided is for the charger that does NOT work with your slate?

The adapter I purchased was from the following site - and while it seemed to be working, could be the source of my touch problems.

AC Power Adapter Cord 40W for Samsung AD-4019P,PA-1400-14,100% Compatible | eBay

13. Aussiehoudini

Aussiehoudini Pen Pal - Newbie

here's my weird addition to the screen not working posts:
    tonight i downloaded a piece of software which added some widgets to the screen (bit of eyecandy). And the touchscreen after a sleep stopped working. I couldn't use the touch login. I connected a usb mouse and was able to login. The touch was detected but it always clicked on the far left side of the screen almost under the bezel. It didn't matter where i clicked. The pen worked though.
    I restored to an earlier windows restore point, before i put te software on but it didn't work.
    I tried re-installing drivers, restoring to an earlier point, lots of things over quite a few hours.
    I decided i would have to re-install windows from scratch and co sidered windows 8 this time (I started with win8). Iread this forum about booting into te bios to fix the issue so i thought i'd give it a try before spending hours restoring windows. I couldn't remeber how to boot to the bios and ended up booting into the samsung restore software. Ineeded my mouse again to get out. I tried again and started to go to the restore again so i hard stopped it by holding the power button for 5 seconds. On thenext boot the touchscreen worked!
    Seems to be working ok again for no reason :confused:

14. webdev511

webdev511 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same issue, but with my pen input. Did a system restore back to just before the last two MS Updates and its working again. I guess I can't complain as it is a Preview OS.

15. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Where you running Win 8 webdev?

16. Valkirie

Valkirie Pen Pal - Newbie

When I use Windows 8 Dev on my Slate i get strange Touch screen behavior.
    It happens when I tap & hold on the screen, touch indicator starts blinking like if I was touching again and again at the same spot. It gets pretty hard to reach right click.

17. Canouna

Canouna WinUnleaked

Same here on W8 Beta, we need to get some Win8 drivers for our lovely slate...

18. Deathdemon

Deathdemon Pen Pal - Newbie

I've noticed touch input behaves really strange when my S7S is in dock and is charging at the same time. These were supposed to be 3 straight horizontal lines:
    [​IMG]

Pen input works ok though.
    As soon as I remove device from dock or disconnect the charger, everything is back to normal.
    Doesn't seem like a device issue to me, most probably some interference from the power line (we don't have a ground contact in our power outlets, probably this can be the cause).
    It just shows once again that if you've just noticed some issues with touch and don't know why it happens, make sure to exclude influence of the charger in the first place.

19. jerome snail

jerome snail Pen Pal - Newbie

Same problem here!