Touch screen not working properly TX1000 (CT)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by PhoenixFX, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Ixidor

Ixidor Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought this was the easy part! ok, I just go to control panel and on the search bar on the top right, search "calibrate". One of the things that pop up should be "calibrate your screen" or something to that effect. Which Vista do you have anyway?

Nevermind, they usually all have this...btw, did you try searching for the calibration option at all? With vista's search bar, it's really easy to find a lot of things, provided you know what a part of the name is (yeah, sometimes searching sends me in circles because some vista controls are looped in comparison to xp)

It'll take a couple times to get a feel for how the screen will end up after tricking it's calibration (though, see what happens when you calibrate it correctly first so just do what the screen tells you to first time around). Good luck calibrating! (btw, you should calibrate it for all screen orientations)

2. PhoenixFX

PhoenixFX Pen Pal - Newbie

It wasn’t a screen resolution issue, I downloaded laptopvideo2go moded nVidia drivers and changed the LCD scaling properties, but didn’t help. It was a calibration error. I found the place to calibrate the screen under Control Panel > Tablet PC settings > General > Calibrate.
    However the writing is not smooth or natural, but I guess that is to be expected from an resistive digitizer type touch screen. But now at least the stylus can be used properly as a pointing device. Thanks for all your comments.

Here are some of my general comments about the HP TX1000 in comparison to the DELL M1210 (I currently own)

Pros
    + It certainly looks better than the DELL M1210
    + Touch screen is better than not having one, but only good as a pointing device.
    + Rotatable screen
    + Fingerprint scanner

Cons
    - Poor battery life
    - Heats up a lot (Fan is noisy)
    - Poor performance
    - M1210 feels slightly better built.
    - HP Quckplay requires Vista to boot up (at least the preinstalled version had it configured that way, and the notebook didn’t come with QuickPlay installation Disk, I had to download the Windows based application from the web). From what I read from the ineternet, linux based QuickPlay doesnt support Vista yet. Too bad, therefore not as good as DELL MediaDirect.

Bottom line : When TX1000 dropped to a reasonable price range (after I bought M1210) I was little disappointed, thinking that I should have gotten that instead. But after playing around with it for a while, I’m glad I didn’t. Cos apart for the looks and few trivial features, TX1000 is no match for a M1210 for things that really matters.

3. shamasis

shamasis Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Lore624

Lore624 Pen Pal - Newbie

I too have purchased a TX1000 derivative laptop (tx1305) and found the touch screen to be miscalibrated, no matter what I did. But I think I found a way to generate a new LinearityData. Run the following command:

NOTE: Be sure to save the original data, as described in Shamasis's blog entry, just in case!

"tabcal LinCal"

This will give a screen similar to the standard calibration screen, except that it's generating a new set of data to be stored in that registry key.

I did that, plus the regular calibration and now the screen is perfect!

Note that I did all of this while in portrait mode -- not sure if the new LinearityData will be wrong for other modes (not that I care, since I only use the tablet in portrait mode).

Hope this helps!

5. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

Glad you found the settings. Surprised there were over a page of suggestions but not the obvious. Oh well....

You will neeed to calibrate in all four orientations to get the calibration working really well and I suggest calibrating regularly (daily) for the first week. It seems to help the screen bed in. After a week or so of use the touch screen functionality seems to improve dramatically. Not like an active digitiser but perfectly fine for notetaking and diagrams etc.

Gordon

6. mg_ex

mg_ex Pen Pal - Newbie

shamasis link is not working

plz can u post the solution here
    thanks.

7. gazla

gazla Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah the link is dead :(
    but i found this here http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=8849
    maybe this might help to solve the calibration problem.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. gazla

gazla Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. cpluse

cpluse Pen Pal - Newbie

I have not tried yet. Because I'm giving one as a gift. I was worried about this problem. But just wanted to say thanks for finding out how to fix it. Great work.

10. gazla

gazla Pen Pal - Newbie

bad news :confused:

after reinstalling the old video graphic adapater driver i still cant click on the bottom right target to calibrate tablet screen...
    looks like i will hold till the link for the solution be an active one
    shooot:mad: