Touch Screen Issue - Help Request.

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by lrudyk, May 23, 2008.

1. lrudyk

lrudyk Pen Pal - Newbie

See summary post made on 5/1/2008.

2. 711

711 Pen Pal - Newbie

did you know you can calibrate touch with the same programme you calibrate your pen with?

3. klasikahl

klasikahl Pen Pal - Newbie

Well you'll be happy to know that I had the same problem on my M700. Keyword being had.

I downloaded the (seemingly pre-release) Wacom driver mentioned in this thread. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=16642

I don't recall having pressure sensitivity before with my pen, but I most certainly do now.

Also, in "Tablet PC Settings" in the Control Panel, you'll notice under the General tab there is a Calibrate button. You can use your finger to calibrate instead of the pen and it will recognize that it is calibrating touch and save the settings accordingly. The mouse pointer now ends up in the center of wherever I touch on the screen.

4. lrudyk

lrudyk Pen Pal - Newbie

If I could go and delete all my previous posts and leave this summary, I would. Here is the timeline / steps taken:

April 7: Received Laptop. Started up. Played with it. Noticed a touchscreen issue/problem (making the touchscreen feature unusable). Everything else working as expected, including the wacom pen and pen calibration. Here is a quick description of the touchscreen issue/problem - if i place my finger in the middle of the screen when in primary landscape mode, and draw a figure 8 (imagine a figure 8 that is 6" tall and 3" wide as traced by my finger), the figure 8 traced by the cursor on the screen is the same height, but much fatter than the path followed by my finger (6" tall and 6" wide, for example). The end result is - I cannot just point and click on the screen (to open a program, for example). The cursor will miss the target by varying amounts depending on how far I am from the center of the screen. Calibration did not fix the issue (yes, I am talking about touchscreen calibration, not just wacom calibration).

April 8: Researched the hell out of the issue. Burned backup disks. Installed all the wacom dual touch and the intel integrated graphics drivers on the toshiba support website (just in case). Calibrated the pen. Tried to calibrate the touchscreen (using the general tab under tablet control panel, and also using a run command tabcal, and tabcal novalidate). The touchscreen cannot even complete the control panel's tablet calibration using finger (or fingernail) presses. It registers the first cross-hairs "hit", but the cross-hairs that appear in the upper right corner wont' register a "hit" unless I press about 2" to the left of that cross-hairs. The Tabcal novalidate command will register all hits and complete the calibration, but the tablet touchscreen exhibits the same problems as before. I eventually looked into the system registry to reset the calibration values, but that didn't help the issue either. Over next day, called toshiba, and escalated the problem with tech services.

April 9: Toshiba Phone Tech services referred me to local ASP (local area toshiba-certified technicians) under the limited warranty. Laptop dropped off. 3 hours later local ASP stated that Toshiba was aware of the problem but that no fix existed and to come get my laptop. I was shocked by this response. Filed BBB complaint form - I wanted what I paid for - a working laptop with dual pen and touch capabilities. Started up discussions with Toshiba Technical support again.

April 9: After getting laptop back, and hearing that no fix existed, continued to see if I could fix it. I firmly believe this is a driver issue - as the touchscreen IS responding, just cannot be calibrated and does not work properly. Performed clean install of vista. Installed factory drivers from toshiba website. Same problem with touchscreen. Installed most current intel graphics drivers for 965 chipset. Did not install intel robson drivers. Laptop boots quickly, runs smoothly, and is very "snappy". I love it. I was still very irked about the touchscreen though.

April 14: Case elevated to customer relations as a result of the BBB complaint and continued discussion with Technical Support. Informed customer relations that I needed the laptop for study (CPA Exam), and this was a huge inconvenience. Customer relations informed me that I needed to sent the laptop in to a Toshiba Notebook Repair depot. After explanation of my situation and the hardship this would cause and the excessive amount of time I had spent - customer relations offered me a $50 toshibadirect credit as consolation.

April 15-17: Researched wacom drivers, tested different types of calibration. Tried to find digitizer manufacturer (couldn't). Tried all kinds of drivers. Ended up installing the toshibasupport website drivers again just to get things working "as intended" by the factory. Touchscreen still did not work properly.

April 18: Mailed laptop to Toshiba Depot.

April 30: Received laptop back from Toshiba Depot. Technician notes indicated digitizer had been replaced and that the notebook had passed all diagnostics. I booted up laptop. Same issue exists as before - touch screen does not work properly, as described on April 7 entry. Tried to calibrate using methods listed by the person I just quoted (I've been doing this all along btw, but I appreciate the pointer all the same). Also, I noted the updated wacom driver for touch sensitivity. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=16642
    I tried that also. Reboot. Same results, that the touchscreen doesn't work properly.

May 1: Contacted toshiba customer relations again. I am working with the BBB customer relations toshiba spokeman. He has been reviewing the warehouses for a replacement computer with similar specifications to send to me. I mentioned that I am considering completing the paperwork for mediation/arbitration in order to request a replacement if this doesn't work out. Toshiba Customer Relations told me they would have a response by the end of today.

May 2: Performed factory restore. Same problem with touchscreen. Tried calibration through control panel and used my finger. Same problem. Tried tabcal novalidate, same problem. Installed driver linked above. Rebooted. Tried calibration through control panel and used my finger. Same problem. Tried tabcal novalidate, same problem. Pen working great. Computer running great. Touchscreen receives input, but still has same problem as described on first day summary above. Toshiba customer service told me Monday would be the next update I received.

May 3: Uninstalled all wacom dual-touch drivers. Reinstalled wacom dual-touch drivers. Same problem with touchscreen. Tried calibration through control panel and used my finger. Same problem. Tried tabcal novalidate, same problem. Installed driver linked above. Rebooted. Tried calibration through control panel and used my finger. Calibration is so far off, cannot complete the calibration. Have to "fake" calibrate and hit a location on the screen that "corresponds" to the calibration bullseye. After completing the calibration I have the same problem. Tried tabcal novalidate, same problem. tabcal LinCal command pulls up a calibration window, but freezes after trying to input the first calibration point. Pen working great. Computer running great. Touchscreen receives input, but still has same problem as described on first day summary above.

May 5: Level 3 technician (maybe higher) called me. He is reviewing the issue, and told me he would speak to the Toshiba engineers regarding this issue. Also, he mentioned that this was an issue that Toshiba was aware of and exists on a minority of tablets. His impression was that the engineers were currently working on a fix for this issue. Either way, I will find out tomorrow - that's when he will call me back. May 6 will be next update! Even though the issue isn't fixed yet, I am impressed with how the company (Toshiba) seems to be aggressively searching for a solution to the problem.

May 8: Received a call from Level 3 Tech, who told me to drop my laptop off with the ASP here in Las Vegas again. I am skeptical about this approach, but he (the toshiba tech) indicated that one of the technicians at the ASP was aware of the issue and that he would be able to fix the problem. This is the same ASP which I delivered the tablet to on April 9 entry above. So... if there IS a fix available, it will be great. At the same time, I'm very disappointed in Toshiba and the ASP for the BIG circus act I've been through trying to get this Tablet fixed. It's been unusable for me this entire time (time was spent trying to research and fix the issue through troubleshooting, time was spent shipping, time was spent without the tablet, and the list goes on). $50 customer credit will not cut it. Even IF the issue is fixed... why couldn't it have been fixed the first time, or when the tablet was mailed to the Toshiba Repair Depot? I will deliver the tablet to the ASP tomorrow. Who knows how long they will hold it. Wish me luck!

May 9: Well... dropped laptop off at ASP. I was called back 3 hours later - could not be fixed. Called the BBB toshiba service desk, let the the guy know, and also called the technician who has been helping me and let him know. I'll go pick up the tablet at lunch. The BBB service desk guy is trying to get me a replacement now. I think I just had a lemon computer... who would have guessed. Later in the day, I spoke with Toshiba again (I have the tablet with me again). The replacement computers offered were lower CPU specs and the 5400 RPM HD (but had 4 gigs of RAM). I just want the tablet specs which I purchased (or better). Toshiba requested that I send in the tablet to their engineer department, and that they would provide me a box by tomorrow or Monday. I stated that if the issue wasn't resolved within 2 weeks, I wanted an exact or better replacement for my tablet, would that be acceptable, because this would be the fourth time I have sent out my computer to be fixed (2x asp, 1x repair depot, and now the engineers). Toshiba agreed. I feel like this has been a comedy of errors, and it just keeps going. At least the tablet is going directly to the engineers now, and if they can't fix it I will get a new one.

May 13: I received the RMA box yesterday afternoon. At 8:00 AM on May 13, I shipped the tablet to California, I believe it's going to the engineers. I spoke with BBB service desk person to let him know it was shipped and gave him the tracking number. Agreed to a follow-up date of no-later-than 5/28/2008 for return of the tablet or replacement. In all, that's nearly 2 months from purchase date. One concern I have - even if it is "fixed", what will I do if I want to install a clean OS? Whatever fix they will apply will be driver/calibration based, and those values are wiped out during system restoration. Oh well. I'll update this thread when I hear back from Toshiba, or on 5/28/2008 with the final results.

May 22: Received tablet back from engineers. It all works. Engineer reseated the CPU (?!?!??) and then reinstalled the current bios, and ran the required checks. And... well... it calibrated. So, my touch screen works. And I'm thrilled to have a computer again. I called the customer service rep and told him I had it, and that it was fixed. I asked him to push my toshibadirect credit through. He submitted it for approval. $100 off my next purchase, which will work, since I wanted to get a docking bay ($200). The constant errors on Toshiba's part (ASP, depot, ASP, engineers for the fix) were very disturbing, but they kept at it. Among a lot of laptops, there are bound to be a few bad apples, and it seems mine just took a little longer to fix. So... I'm not thrilled, but I'm not really upset. They fixed it, they offered me a credit. Feels about even. Still a far preferable laptop, even with all the headache, to the HP TX2000z.

Epilogue: I can't list how much research I did on the touchscreen issue. Spelunking on Wacom, Toshiba, forums, other touchscreen manufacturers, etc etc for a driver that would address the issue. I learned a lot... but still do not know how to fix it myself. I am somewhat hopeful this will have a reasonable resolution. If it does, Toshiba will keep me as a customer. I still think the M700 is the _best_ tablet pc on the market (for the money).

(SPECS)
    CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor "Penryn" T8300 (2.4GHz, 3MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB)
    Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate 32-Bit
    Memory: 2048MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM (1024MBx2)
    LCD: 12.1" WXGA Backlit Display supporting digital pen with indoor/outdoor viewing (1280x800)
    Pen Device: Active Digitizer with Pen and Touch Screen Input
    Graphics Controller: Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    HDD: 160GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial-ATA)
    Optical Media: DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
    Mini-PCI/WiFi: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965 AGN (802.11a/g/n)
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth® Version 2.0 +EDR
    Expansion Bay: Bundled Emergency Pen
    Battery: Lithium Ion Battery (6-Cell, 4700mAh)
    Standard Warranty: 3 Years Standard Limited Warranty

5. Maeth

Maeth Tablet newcomer

Wow, i am wondering if all this has ever happened to anyone else? I have just ordered my m700 from PortableOne and hope i don't have to go through the same thing (no offence intended).
    Also, you have the 1GB intel flash memory installed? Is it useless?

6. klasikahl

lrudyk, did you note what I said about recalibrating the screen and using your finger as the calibration device? You have to do more than simply install the driver and reboot.

7. klasikahl

I have the 1GB of turbo memory installed. I'm not sure if it makes a difference since I don't have anything to benchmark against. I've read some not-so-great reviews about the technology, but I believe that with better drivers (at a later date) the performance will improve.

I would, however, highly recommend doing a clean install of Windows Vista using an Upgrade Anytime disc so that you don't get bogged down with bloatware.

8. lrudyk

lrudyk Pen Pal - Newbie

In case there is ANY misunderstanding: I appreciate all responses. They may give me a new way to look at things, and any information you can share may ultimately help me. Please keep them coming.

klasikahl - I have a question - did you have the same problem I did with how the touch screen responds to your touch input? I did try recalibrating (with my finger) the screen after installing the Wacom driver you linked (I actually did all that last night before you posted, but I'm glad to see others weighing in on the problem). See my summary on May 7th date. My description of drawing figure 8's. That has been my persistant problem all along. Also, what are your system specs (processor, chipset, memory, etc)? Just to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

9. klasikahl

All the issues that you have mentioned (including drawing figure 8s with the same dimensions) have been remedied for me by clicking Calibrate and proceeding to use my finger to calibrate.

Specs: Vista Ultimate (clean install), Touch enabled (of course), G965 chipset, 2GB (2x1GB) [soon to be 4GB @ 2x2 w/ G.Skill CAS4 PC2 5300], 200GB Seagate 7200RPM, 2.6GHz T9500, Bluetooth, Turbo Memory

I'm pretty sure those are all the distinguishing features.

10. lrudyk

lrudyk Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, we have similar specs. I may not have mentioned - I cannot get the calibration to complete on the touch calibration. The screen is so far off, it won't register a "hit" on the second crosshair. And to get it to register a "hit" I have to touch the screen about 2 inches in from the upper right corner. Same on the lower right corner calibration. So... it's still not working for me.