Touch On/Off Toggle for Ativ Smart Pc 500T

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by simpleatsh, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Atcold

Atcold Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome post, anyway read this Why do idiot disable UAC?.
    Secondly, to circumvent the UAC problem I suggest to create a task (with Task Scheduler), selecting the parameter accordigly to the lnk files and giving them the Highest privileges. Moreover, since you choose the app, from the Action tab, you can place it wherever (like in C:\Program Files, where it should be).

There's nothing easier than this. Right click on the lnk files, Properties → Change Icon... → Select the light version.
    I do agree with bobodog. Lecturenotes is incredible as its developer, Devel. He's a great guy. He will answer every your email and add whatever functionality you may need. Moreover, you have control over your active pen, thing that is totally missing on our Windows 8 based OneNote. I do want to be able to choose filter parameters and use the button on the pen for erasing. Microsoft, learn from young developer, please!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Atcold

Atcold Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome post, anyway read this Why do idiot disable UAC (www . wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=317697)?.
    Secondly, to circumvent the UAC problem I suggest to create a task (with Task Scheduler), selecting the parameter accordigly to the lnk files and giving them the Highest privileges. Moreover, since you choose the app, from the Action tab, you can place it wherever (like in C:\Program Files, where it should be).

There's nothing easier than this. Right click on the lnk files, Properties → Change Icon... → Select the light version.
    I do agree with bobodog. Lecturenotes is incredible as its developer, Devel. He's a great guy. He will answer every your email and add whatever functionality you may need. Moreover, you have control over your active pen, thing that is totally missing on our Windows 8 based OneNote. I do want to be able to choose filter parameters and use the button on the pen for erasing. Microsoft, learn from young developer, please!

3. beckyb

beckyb Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for posting the link to the DevManView program. I have it working for my Ativ 700 now.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  4. 996gt2

996gt2 Scribbler - Standard Member

So the method described in the first post of this thread doesn't fully work on the 500T?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  5. Atcold

Atcold Pen Pal - Newbie

No, for 500T it works perfectly.

6. 996gt2

996gt2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, the poster I quoted mentioned some issues with losing certain functions so I wanted to check. I'll give it a try sometime then

7. glutar

glutar Pen Pal - Newbie

How to toggle touch on/off with a physical button, with UAC locally suppressed
    =========================================================

Checked on Samsung ATIV 500T under Win 8, should also work on other Win 8 tablets with the proper touch screen HID id's and physical button codes.

Why may one need this functionality?
    Firstly, thank you so much, simpleatsh, for your solution with the two shortcuts.
    After I had used it for a while, I noticed the following inconvenience. Sometimes I would wake the tablet, intending to use the touch screen only, but would find the device in stylus-only mode (touch off), the way I left it before sending to sleep. To activate touch back, I couldn't press the shortcut with my finger (precisely because the touch was off), so I had to take out the stylus just to activate the touch and put it back again. This seemed redundant, so I decided to put the touch toggle function on one of the tablet's physical buttons. I chose the 'screen rotation' button, which I seldom use. If one uses the original function of this button often, they can reprogram the 'volume up' (or 'volume down') button, and then, to get its original function, one needs to hold the 'screen rotation' button and press the volume button, as described in a post by cook_guru here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung/49793-simple-way-turn-off-finger-touch-slate-7-a-2.html
    Another requirement I was aiming to meet was locally suppressing the UAC (remember, in my target situation touch is off, so I can't press 'yes' with my finger even if I'm OK with this extra action). Here thanks go to Atcold for his post with the idea on how to do this.

It took me a while to get it all working, so I decided to post the algorithm:

I. Download DevManView:
    for 32bit OS: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/devmanview.zip
    for 64bit OS: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/devmanview-x64.zip
    and unzip wherever you want.

II. Create two tasks (for turning touch on and off) in Task Scheduler with highest privileges to suppress UAC on them. Here is how to do it:
    1) Go to Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools\Task Scheduler
    2) Click 'Create Task...' in the right panel
    3) Set the task name, e.g. 'TouchOff'
    4) Check the box 'Run with highest privileges'
    5) In the 'Actions' tab click 'New...', then 'Browse...' and locate DevManView.exe
    6) In the field 'Add arguments (optional):' paste the following:
    /disable "HID\ATML1000&Col01\4&2101be6d&0&0000"
    7) In the 'Conditions' tab uncheck 'Start the task only if the computer is on AC power' (spotting this piece of nonsense took me quite some time and frustration), click OK
    8) Repeat 2)-7) for the task 'TouchOn' with the argument string:
    /enable "HID\ATML1000&Col01\4&2101be6d&0&0000"

III. Create two shortcuts to the two tasks with minimized appearance.
    This step is optional, it is done for aesthetic reasons, to make the tasks appear only in the taskbar instead of showing a black command prompt screen for some short time. If you skip this step, you need to invoke the tasks themselves instead of the shortcuts in the AHK script (see below).
    1) In any folder right-click at the empty space, select 'New', 'Shortcut', type:
    C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "TouchOff"
    2) Type any name, e.g. TouchOffNoUAC, click 'Finish'
    3) Right-click the shortcut, in the 'Run' dropbox select 'Minimized', click OK
    4) Repeat 1)-3) for TouchOn

IV. Make an AutoHotkey (AHK) script connecting the touch on/off toggle with a physical button.
    It might be possible to do it through the Task Scheduler directly, presumably by setting a trigger for the task, but I have little experience with this utility, so I use AHK.
    1) Download AutoHotkey from AutoHotkey and install (if you don't have it yet)
    2) For people who use other languages than English: if your primary input language in Windows is not English, you may get errors for some AHK scripts. Maybe this could be fixed otherwise, but for me changing the primary language to English was OK and did the job.
    2) Create a text file with extension '.ahk' with the following text:
    TouchOn:=1
    LWin & F14::
    if (TouchOn=1)
    {
    TouchOn:=0
    Run c:\TouchOnOff\TouchOffNoUAC.lnk
    }
    else
    {
    TouchOn:=1
    Run c:\TouchOnOff\TouchOnNoUAC.lnk
    }
    return

The hotkey code 'LWin & F14' corresponds to pressing the 'screen rotation' button. If you want to use another button or combination, check this description to find their codes:
    Mobile « Icosidodecahedron - The Web Blog of Michael Kozakewich (it is about another tablet but I guess the codes may be the same).
    Change the paths and names of the shortcuts to those you have, or directly invoke the Scheduler tasks (use the command from step III.1).
    3) Optional: make the script run at startup, either through Task Manager or using a startup manager program like CodeStuff Starter CodeStuff :: Starter
    4) Run the script. Check that the 'screen rotation' button toggles the touch screen.

V. Disable Windows lock screen and login screen at device wakeup. This step can be skipped, but is needed for the exact functionality described in the beginning.

This is a bit of bad news for today: if you wake your tablet in a touch-off regime and see the lock screen, the button you've just configured won't work. I suppose this is because at the lock screen stage (and at the login screen) AHK scripts just aren't active at all. So my decision was to make Windows to wake directly to desktop. I find the security risk of skipping the password check not very important because the password doesn't protect the files on your device from unauthorized reading anyway. They can only be protected by encryption, and I'm not yet paranoid enough to start doing this.

So, to make the device wake to the desktop, you need to:
    1) Disable lock screen following the instructions here:
    How to Disable Lock Screen in Windows 8 and 8.1? - AskVG
    2) Disable login screen after wake as described here:
    Disable login after Sleep in Windows 7 | 8

Phew! At this point the button should toggle the touch like it was designed to do so.

Now for the irony: we had to make several admin-level adjustments and use at least two third-party programs to basically make the S-Pen work in the only reasonable way it could (how do you hand-write? - you put your hand on a surface and write on it). That's what I call 21st century user experience! Perhaps the reason is that the S-Pen functionality falls in the border between Samsung and Microsoft, and both thought they weren't responsible.

8. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

9. Dendrojoshidae

Dendrojoshidae Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much for this! Exactly what I needed!

10. blazky

blazky Pen Pal - Newbie

got a samsug ative XE500T1 and screentouch stop working barely a week after purchase, any idea on what to do to troubleshoot? tanx!!!