Touch On/Off Toggle for Ativ Smart Pc 500T

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by simpleatsh, Nov 2, 2012.

1. simpleatsh

simpleatsh Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Guys, my 500t just got shipped yesterday. Unfortunately, on my unit, the palm rejection wasn't working as well as my good old 2760P, which might have something to do with the new Atmel touch screen being a lot more sensitive and can track 5 points. Anyway, I have been searching for a good solution to quickly turn on and off the touch screen in the forum, found few posts already, but most of them don't work well (or at all) on Windows 8. the only solution I found working well was the DevManView program, it took me a little while to locate the Atmel HID device and created the script. It worked really well for me, so here I am sharing it with everybody.

Steps:
    a. download the attached zip file and unzip to the root of partition C;
    b. open the TouchOnOff folder, you will see two shortcuts named "Touch On" and "Touch Off";
    c. double click the respective shortcut should turn on or off the touch screen;
    d. I have the shortcut pinned to the taskbar by right click and choose "pin to taskbar", you can also map it to one of the hardware keys with AutoHotKey, which is a small and free software for key mapping.

Enjoy and Let me know if there's any problem.

btw, this solution was based on cook_guru's solution for series 7 slate, so credit to him too. and forgot to mention that the UAC notification will probably jump up, I disabled my UAC notification altogether, world is a quieter place now!! :^)

Capture.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. violet182

violet182 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow ! That sounds great. Could a version of this be modified to work on the Samsung Series 7 slate with Windows 8???? You would be everyone's hero if this worked on the series 7.

3. simpleatsh

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great, but where did you order your slate from, Amazon? Most of us can't seem to find any store that is stocking it now, online or brick & mortar. Thanks anyway for sharing.

5. simpleatsh

hi nnthemperor

i am from china, and i am very surprised that the smart pc is not yet available in the us, normally, a gadget won't be available in china months after its global availability, which is ironic considering 99% of them are produced here in china.i ordered my from 360buy.com, the biggest online retailer in china and it was shipped on the 29th, unfortunately, that unit came with two bad pixels and the wacom digitizer was horribly off, the calibration didnt help at all. i returned that one and three days later they shipped me another one, the new one is much better in term of digitizer accuracy and no bad pixels were found, but, the new one's screen does have bad light leakage on the right side.

so check carefully when ur unit is shipped, samsung's quality control is far from ideal, think lots of s7 slate owners with lifted screen know what i am talking about.

6. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey, thanks so much for this. I tracked down the HID for the touch interface on the Asus VivoTab and posted a similar solution here. Hope you don't mind. Thanks for the quality work.

7. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

Extremely useful for me since I tend to rest the side of my hand down when I draw. Thank you very much.
    Only wish the icons were visible on the quick start bar when using a dark theme.

8. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

This tool is excellent!!! I write extensively on one note and the touch screen tends to get in the way of writing, so being able to turn off touch this quickly is just awesome!!! Thank you so much...

9. mnbrennan

mnbrennan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hope everyone doesn't mind, but I just wanted to bump this as I have been looking around for something similar.

I wanted to use the desktop version on One Note without having interference from my hand, and this works a treat!!

10. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks a lot for posting this! I would jave cobbled together something myself with DevMan or DevCon and Autohotkey, but that would have looked much more hack-ish... this way, with the two little icons in the display, it looks almost professional ;)