Total Frustration

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mydixiwrecked00, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mydixiwrecked00

Mydixiwrecked00 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have owned a tm2t with an i3 now for a couple years, and have had a consistent problem the entire time. The computer was sent in 4 times during its warranty period and each time hard drive and ram were replaced. On the final time they sent me a new machine that ran decent. I run estimating software that uses alot of ram so i upgraded ram to 8 gigs of crucial and put in a 256gig crucial M4 SSD. before installation i did a minimal recovery so that only the operating system and drivers were loaded. let it do all of its windows updates and everything ran fine. cloned the drive to the new SSD and installed. boot up was decently fast but not as fast as i was expecting. bare system runs decent. installed my logitech mouse and keyboard drivers with the unifying receiver, installed MSoffice 2010 professional, installed Xactimate 27.3professional, installed norton. THATS IT boot up about the same, but now from time to time this thing slows down to a snails pace and even the mouse lags, even when all software is closed. no virii, no trojens, no anything. run registry and system scans and really nothing for it to clean other then temp files. nothing to defrag. run my estimating software and ill usually get a crash within an hour. i have reloaded this thing twice now from scratch and get the same results. the software developer says its a possible issue with microsoft.net causing a memory leak. the memory leak fix on microsofts website that i was instructed to load comes back saying it does not work on my configuration. I was told by the developer to disable tiptap, and all other tablet functions) and no luck.I purchased a tablet for a reason! removed the software and the computer still acts up. NOONE else makes this software or else i would have found a replacement long ago. i load the same software on my 13 desktop that has 4 gigs of ram and a mech hd and it runs perfectly. this has been going on for a couple years now and every time the results are the same.

ive had the IT guy in our knoxville office and the IT guy in our Jacksonville office both look at this and they say they cant find the cause.if the fix is to buy a regular laptop that isnt touch or tablet im going to scream! i cannot live without my hand written notes in the feild

SOME ONE, ANYONE, if you have any idea of how to fix this please help

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Wow, sounds like an interesting challenge.

First, if you are running 32-bit XP, Vista, or Win 7, the 5 GB of RAM over the base 3 GB is not being used. Unfortunately, for some reason MS limited it to 3 GB. If you are running 64-bit OS, then you will have 4 GB in each channel. But, that is just a comment because it is obviously not your issue.

Coming from a guy that uses marginal equipment all the time (uh, me), plop on your desktop (if you use Vista or Win 7) the resource monitor. With an i3 it should be idling most of the time. If your computer begins to bog down the needle will start to head north. It will help alert when there is trouble coming.

If it is not idling and you are getting bogged down, do a ctrl-alt-delete and pick Task Manager. Go to the Processes tab and then click on the column for "CPU" to sort by the largest offenders. If there is a process hogging the CPU, right click on it and end it.

If you want to know what the process is that is hogging the system and you cannot tell by the cryptic notation, google it and you will find information on what the process is, what it does, and if it is needed.

Check this out and then let us know what you are finding. Over and over again if you start seeing the same offending process then there may be a program loading that is running the process and if it is not a system process you may be able to change the start up config to prevent it from loading.

Edit: on my TC1100 with Win 7 I have a process that keeps doing this and it is TabTip.exe which is the TIP panel. I notice that it is hogging the CPU and becomes huge memory wise. When I end it the program restarts because it is a system process but the memory is back to normal and the CPU meter drops to a manageable level. Every once in a while it will go off in left field again and it needs to be stopped once again. I have no idea why it does that but it is just something I used to have to watch all the time...

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You could always try the following

Step 1: Clean install with ZERO drivers.. noting, not a thing... just Windows 7 64bit
    Step 2: Install Xactimate 27.3 pro. Use for a couple of hours
    If it crashes
    Step 3: Remove one of the dimms and try again
    If it crashes
    Step 4: Put the dimm back into the machine and remove the other one
    If it crashes
    Make sure that you're on the latest Crucial M4 firmware

Go from there.... You could also run a mem test application to check the ram. Either way you're trying to limit everything on your machine. You might also want to disable the following services but it's your choice:

That will recover a medium amount of memory for your application(s). From memory you can get the TM2 to boot in under 20 seconds which isn't bad at all.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I'm with Dan on this one. I think you have to check the list of running processes between "normal" and "bogged down" to see if anything particular stands out. If one or more processes can be pinpointed, then it will be more likely that we can help (note that I didn't say it would be a certainty!).

Having just fixed an absolutely perplexing problem with a stalled WiFi installation, I know that these kinds of problems can seem nearly insolvable.

Gather some more data and get back to us as soon as you can...

And good luck...

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A Crucial M4 SSD you say. . ?

I received this email from the vendor who sold me mine (a 64 GB SSD). . .

I followed the instructions without a hitch. I don't know if you've got the old firmware version, but if so, then it sounds very much as though this might be the solution to your woes.

Good luck!

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"5,184 hours"... that's 216 days or power on time, even in Canadian time :)

You can check how long your drive has been on with something like Crystal Disk Info; but I think the issue may be related to something like a memory leak; pull up the task manager and from the 'Performance' tab open "Resource Monitor..." as it gives a better breakdown of the system utilization and all; you may want to also download CPU-z and GPU-z to see what clock speeds the processor and GPU are running at normally and during the slowdowns and with the software open... basically do what they were saying

I would also say doing a clean install on the SSD would be well worth the time (backup your data and the SWsetup folder), then do not install a Anti-virus/ spyware/ whatever similar program; then do install your program you often use, and don't install windows updates (I've seen many times on other people's systems that Anti-virus like Norton McAfee and others will cause severe problems with things and even bring them to a halt -especially if they are both installed or there are remnants of one or the other- and I've also seen that Windows Updates more often break things than make them better, use them only as a last resort really)

7. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

That reason is that it is 32 bit and the address space gets a bit tight if you have only 32 bit wide pointers. The reason it's not 4GB is that other things besides RAM get addressed in the same address space.
    They chose to limit it this way a long time ago :D

Your approach is basically the same I would have taken.
    If the resource monitor is not shoing anything suspicious, I'd turn to some sysinternals tools like process explorer to see some more details than the normal task manager provides.

My personal suspicion with stalling systems out of nowhere is disk. If I get this correctly, the problem with slow downs only occurs since you upgraded RAM and disk. If Windows experiences a halt in the disk queue, whatever it wants to do that needs disk access is just going to stop until it gets its data. If you have a faulty disk that e.g. just stalls for a minute from time to time (had this with spinning drives) the system just freezes anything that would need disk access. E.g. DVB-T kept on working, I got animations for clicks on the taskbar but nothing happened. If I clicked a long minimized application, the UI froze.
    A minute later there was massive disk access out of nowhere and everything was fine again. I cold reproduce this behavior exactly later with an iSCSI disk and artificial network throttling.

I'd focus on finding evidence that the drive is the culprit. Memory errors usually result in crashing software, or the entire OS, but rarely in just slowdown.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, 5000 hours is a little long even on a Canadian clock. I didn't read the OP properly.

Still, when I consider the problem, with the only hardware changes being the introduction of more RAM and an SSD, it follows that it's one or the other which is most likely the problem. (If the cloning went smoothly and there's not something more cryptic going on.)

A simple test would be to swap the original RAM stick/s back into the machine and see if it still fails the same way. If it does, then chances are it's the SSD. If not, then you know it's an issue involving the new RAM.

When I was shopping around for my SSD, I ran across a number of bug reports, some of which sound similar to the problems reported here. In any case, I'd certainly make sure the firmware is up to date.

9. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

I second the suggestion of checking your new RAM boards carefully. The reason I say this is that I had a similar problem on a completely different hardware/software set up - bogging down with hogging of memory by one program or another (not always the same one) and hangs. I went through everything else: every application program, every driver, changing OS from Win7 back to XP, to no avail and then ran MemTest86 (or MemTest86+ don't remember which) - there were 4 bad addresses total, two each on two Crucial 2M sticks. Crucial replaced the boards and all bad things went away. Ciao, Lenny

10. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

If you reload it again try it without Norton. We've seen the Norton suite cause a multitude of issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.