Toshiba vs HP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red_snapper

red_snapper Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a technology professional looking to buy a tablet pc to replace my current laptop. I currently own a ultraportable so size and weight are important to me. I also value responsiveness like a desktop. In laptop mode, I use a lot of business applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as development tools like Visual Studio and a database server on my machine. In tablet mode, I'd like to use it to take notes in meetings and design sessions. I also travel with my laptop.

I've seen the Toshiba models and like the size of the 200/205 better than the R15 (14" feels very bulky to me), but if there's not enough horse power in the 200, then I'm willing to compromise and move up to the R15 or M4. The HP tc4200 looks like a tweener and may be what I'm looking for. Which is a better choice for my needs (include configuration suggestions if appropriate) or should I consider other models? BTW, I have no budget limitations. I just want the right one. Thanks for the help.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If portability is most important, you'd really like the IBM X41 Tablet. It should be out soon, but I can't comment any further. What is publicly known though is that it's small, based on the same platform as the X41 notebook. I might look to that machine to guess a the specs of a similar tablet edition.

3. red_snapper

Thanks Brian for suggesting the IBM. Depending on when it is released, I'm not sure if I can wait. I can maybe hold off 2-3 weeks, but that's about it. I like the 3.3lbs and 6 hour battery life of the X41 notebook. That would be fantastic if the tablet has the same.

What's the responsiveness like on these tablets? Is there a big difference between a 1.5, 1.6, 1.8MHz in terms of opening applications, switching between applications, etc. Would a 5400RPM HD make a big difference in responsiveness over the 4200RPM?

If I can't wait, I think I'm going to get the M200/205 over the tc4200. I'm familiar with Toshibas and have a good impression of their notebooks in general.

4. Brian

Well, it won't be out in time to help you, at least not shipping anyway. As for upgrades, the CPU won't do anythign for you, I'd go with the faster drive though and at least 512MB RAM.

As for the Toshiba, I'd recommend doing the M4 instead of the much older M200.

5. red_snapper

I haven't seen the M4 in person is it as bulky as the R15? From the specs it looks like it would be. Could a slate with a keyboard meet my needs? Do they travel well?

6. Brian

It's pretty beefy as you noted. A slate travels very well, but you have to bring an external keyboard. I'm not sure I could handle the handwriting as the only input method for a very long poeriod of time.

7. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you choose the M4 and have the finacial means, I would go with 1 gig of RAM and 128 dedicated video. These features will give you a more stable machine.

8. red_snapper

I just visited the Microsoft Tablet PC demo event at my local consumer electronic chain where I got to try the R15 and M205 again. I've come to the conclusion that the R15 was too heavy to carry around and bring to and fro for meetings all day long. I'll have to go with the M205. I'll give another week for IBM to release their new tablet before I make any moves. I'll be sure to take all your configuration feedback to mind.

9. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am certainly glad that you are getting some "hands on" experience with the models. Also, please look on Tuesday for our full review of the HP TC4200, this machine does not carry the video power of the M200, but is however a very lightweight, sturdy and impressive machine.

Regarding the IBM release, I hope that you will have the opportunity to check that machine out within your purchase time frame. But we are definately trying to stay quiet on that one. I have been noticing men in black suits with sunglasses and ear pieces following me around! LOL

10. red_snapper

The Microsoft Demo Days event is a pretty good idea, although the execution of the event could be much better. Where I went, there wasn't much advertising except a little 2'x3' sign. It was good to be able to carry around the units and try the recognition software (which was very good). However, they didn't have product keys for programs like OneNote, so I couldn't simulate exactly how I might be using the system. There's still a big hurdle to get over before this becomes a mass market concept, but events like this help.

I'm looking forward to reading the tc4200 review, but I don't see it. Did you mean the Acer review?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.