Toshiba Vs. Gateway

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by TRod, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRod

TRod Pen Pal - Newbie

I am about to start school soon and have been looking for a laptop. Originally I planned on getting a Macbook since they had pretty good discounts for students and I like the company. But my sister happened to see the Gateway tablet pc commercial one day and told me about it. Since I am incredibly messy and disorganized with notes I started looking into tablet pcs as a replacement notebook. I've narrowed my choices down to two computers: the gateway tablet pc and the Toshiba Satellite R25-S3503 (haven't seen much reviews for this one). I've researched them both to death and know they each have their ups and downs (I heard of gateway's horrible costumer service and satellites heavy weight). I'm still unsure of which to get and would really appreciate some inputs or even some other suggestions.

What I'm looking for:
    -Relatively light since I've going to be using it in class
    -Good performance, steady build(so the swivel monitor won't break off after a couple of uses)
    -Realible costumer service
    -Not too loud(Don't want to disturb others during class)
    -Good battery life (around 3.5+ hours)
    -Affordable (Around the 1,200 and lower range)
    -Multimedia friendly(i'd like to have the option of playing some more graphically advanced games though it isn't necessary..more of a perk.

2. DragonFlame

DragonFlame Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd think the gateway tablet is just as heavy if not heavier than that toshiba...

I'd say the closest you're going to get is the Toshiba M200 which has a dedicated graphics card and a 12 inch screen... It uses the older Pentium M though, which may make it cheaper.

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am in agreement with Dragon on this; both are somewhat heavy models. The Gateway may offer you an edge on battery life. The Toshiba R25 has a bit of a thinner profile (lacking the thick back edge in Gateway's design).

I also agree that based on your desire for lighter weight that you should explore the Toshiba M400 as an option. This will be a lighter and smaller machine.

4. TRod

TRod Pen Pal - Newbie

Well now looking at the M400 I know its between the R25 and Gateway. The M400 is way out of my price range. I'm going to be using it mostly as a note taker and therefore needs to be reliable in that aspect. I've heard some things about Gatway's flaky pen. When compared which comes up on top for my needs?

5. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Pen Pal - Newbie

When you get a working pen for the gateway its right on and works great. Try them out in the store and see how they work for you. As a gateway owner I have to say I enjoy the Tablet and it doubles over well as a regular laptop, and that large screen real estate I'm going to use to write large and neat on, only to shrink it down later to study my notes from. I can't read my handwriting if I write small, so its better this way for me.

6. Paladin27

Paladin27 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a complete TabletPC n00b as I just bought a Gateway CX2620 from Best Buy over the weekend. But I just wanted to mention that I have been shopping for a Tablet for a while and Best Buy is clearing out the CX2620 for $1,000. It is a 1.73ghz Pentium M with 1GB DDR2 and 100GB HDD with a 14" widescreen LCD and best of all... a Radeon X600 Mobility video card. I have already played Battlefield 2 and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 on it! Let me tell ya, playing RCT3 with a pen on the screen is KOOL!

Of all the Tablet PCunits I looked at, none had a good enough graphics card or memory to handle BF2, but this Gateway's X600 works pretty well right out of the box, it's not a desktop replacement for gaming, but it gets the job done.

I will say it's LARGE and on the heavier side, but with a 14" widescreen LCD, I can tolerate it just fine and I won't be squinting while watching a DVD. ;)

All in all, I would recommend the Gateway TabletPC to anyone except for ultra mobile users who wouldn't like the bulk.

7. Celemourn

Celemourn Pen Pal - Newbie

My recomendation, if you haven't yet made a purchase, is twofold.

First, if you've never used windows before, trust me when I say that the beginning of the school year is a REALLY BAD time to switch. If you like MacOS, you'll regret, likely heavily, going to windows. Maybe not immediately, but you will regret it. I reverse-switched (went from Mac to Windows) about five years ago, and it has been a very very painful time for me. I am skilled with computers, and am minoring in CS, so it's not that I don't know what I'm doing. Its that windows is a pain in the nether regions (can we say ass here?) If you don't have to have pen input capability, then remember that you can install windows xp on a MacBook and then go buy a copy of OneNote, which WILL work without a pen. You just have to type everything.

Secondly, if you don't have to have a new comp just yet, and can wait for a couple weeks, or more likely till early January, and you want a Mac AND a tablet.... just wait. The roumor mills are going wild like we've never seen before, patents are flying around the internet, and there is a BIG HOLE in Apple's product lineup where a portable counterpart to the MacMini should be.
    Such a device will likely sport a ULV Core2Duo or a Core Duo processor, a Touch enable display with hover capability (yes, touch plus hover), and likely not have a hardware keyboard. There should be a clever software substitute though.... We may see this thing on the fifth of September, or it may not show up until MacWorld Expo in January, or it may never show up at all. The stars are aligning though.

On the PC side, it looks like fujitsu has some of the best support available. I have a fujitsu scanner and I love it.

Toshiba looks to be BAD NEWS all around.

General good idea: portable = satalite to a desktop. Depending on what Apple puts out in the next fifteen days, I may end up just getting a cheepo version of Fujitsu's T4210 since it has good batery life with a modular bay battery, and also get a Mac Pro. They's cheep, if you know where to get em.

Feel free to ignore this entire post, by the way. :D

8. playersnoopy

playersnoopy Pen Pal - Newbie

Well ever since Toshiba screwed me on my order back in January, they made me wait almost 2 months and decided to discontinue the model because it was just too expensive for them to make. They actually told me it was just too expensive and not enough people bought them, the Tecra M7 with built in nvidia graphics card. Then I had a field day with their customer service that tried to sell me an "inferior" model and telling me how it's cheaper than my original order. Needless to say, I told them I would never buy another Toshiba brand again, so I say go with Gateway :D

I ordered my Gateway C-140X, August 5th, and now that order is delayed another 3 weeks. Looks like I will never get a tablet PC at this rate.

As for specs, with the excpetion of the weight and resolution/display, Gateway is in my opinion the best out there. Not to mention price. I could care less about auto rotate for slate mode. Although the weight is a big concern, the battery life makes up for it dramatically. I don't know any laptop that can meet the 7 hour battery life with the extended battery and an additional 3-4 hours with the bay battery. In theory I could get 11 hours??? Sure you'll probably get only about 9 hours of real battery life. But most laptops get 3-4 hours and actual life of about 2-3 hours. I can actually take this thing out and USE it.

If you do buy the Gateway like I did, talk to Customer Sales rep, I did it online through their chat button. Asked some questions, then they offered me a 12% discount and free shipping, some special they said. Only available if you call them to order, while their online order just offered $150 instant off and free shipping but $20 handling fees. Oh I got the $150 instant off too on top of it all and no handling fees. Here's what I paid for my specs.

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7700 (2.40GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2)
    1024MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-512) *which I will upgrade myself (cheaper)
    100GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive *could have upgraded myself but easier
    Chassis w/ 128MB graphics, PM965, 1394 & FPRDR (Viper-SR) that's the ATI Radeon 2300
    Integrated Intel 3945 802.11a/b/g Wireless Networking
    Bluetooth Wireless Networking Module
    Primary 12-Cell Lithium Ion Battery with 1 Year Limited Wty
    Mod. 6-Cell Li-Ion battery w/bty bay cover(VPR/VPR-C/VPR-SR)
    8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW With DVD-RAM
    Gateway Sling Messenger Case (fits 15.4" screens)

all that came out to be $1959.57
    I got an additional stylus, cable lock and bluetooth mouse for a grand total of
    $2,056.34 plus $169.10 tax (CA)
    Total: $2225.44 (that's with free shipping)

I bought 4 gigs of RAM, OCZ 2x2GB PC2-6400 SODIMM 800Mhz for only $312 (with tax and shipping) which is a better deal than paying the $800+ from Gateway to upgrade. Plus I get to have the spare 1gig RAM that it comes with to sell if I want. Oh and it's 800Mhz chips not 677Mhz that the upgrade would have been.

Now I could have saved myself about $60 if I upgraded the hard drive myself, but 7200 RPM laptop harddrives are a bit harder to get great deals on, at least when I looked. So I didn't mind paying that little bit for convenience.

In the end with all these upgrades, it would still have been cheaper then my Toshiba Tecra M7 if I had gotten it.

Oh as for the display, I wasn't really thrilled with the 1280x1024 resolution instead of 1400x1050 especially since it was a 14" screen but I was willing to give up the resolution for the overall specs. Like everyone else has said one of few that offers integrated video card. Which was the selling point for me. The ridiculous battery life is a HUGE bonus. As for weight, it isn't like it fits in my back pocket, I'm still gonna need a backpack. I can lug around the extra 3-4 pounds from the parking lot to the cafe.

9. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

As far as I know, Santa Rosa only supports up to 667Mhz for the RAM. 800 will work, but it will be down-clocked. So I'm not so sure if that extra $150 is justifiable :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.