Toshiba Tecra M7 specs ...

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by dalbert, Jun 14, 2006.

?

Do you plan on purchasing an M7?

1. No, not interested.

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Yes, as soon as they are ready to order.

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Yes, but I will wait a few months to hear the reviews.

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  4. No, I am waiting for the Dual Core 2 chips.

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dalbert

dalbert Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Ben. I found the original press statement for the M4's release and it seems like there was only one option. This may not be bad though. As I remember, when the M400 was first released it took a few days before you could purchase a "custom" system from ToshibaDirect. Even if it isn't, I guess I won't be upset. I mostly want it for use with Starry Night and other astronomy apps I use. I think I will be keeping another desktop system for games. Plus, the Gateway looks cool, but I prefer NVidia to ATI hands down.

Oh by the way guys.... did you notice the 4 gb of ram you can put in this thing. Crazy, I can't even find any 2 gb DDR2 sticks. Hopefully crucial.com gets the specs soon so I can have the memory waiting for it.

Another impressive element of the Tecra M4 is the integrated NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 6200 TE 64M (with 64 MB dedicated VRAM) graphics3 processor unit, which features the advanced video capabilities of NVIDIA’s PureVideo™ and TurboCache™ technologies combined with Microsoft DirectX 9 Shader Model 3.0 to deliver brilliant video and 3D graphics for a stunning visual experience.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/... 042005.htm&subcat=Press Release&submenu=NEWS

2. dalbert

dalbert Pen Pal - Newbie

3. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah somebody at studenttabletpc.com (I think, lol, I'm losing track of all these forums) says that they got an email announcing the M7 will be for sale in Luxembourg and surrounding countries (I forget which ones) on Monday.

So... that might be an international launch date. Still, I'm astonished by the lack of front page coverage on community sites - won't this be Toshiba's first widescreen tablet ever? Are they all under tight NDAs or something?

4. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe I'm being a bit skeptical, but how is this tablet really any different from the M400? I guess dedicated and marginally better graphics and a larger screen (meaning greater weight as well). I suppose that the Portege M200 and the Tecra M4 weren't all that different in terms of specs, but I remember hearing that it was the integrated optical drive that swayed most people to choose the M4 over the M200. Since the M400 includes that, I guess that advantage is now moot. I would think with the later release date and the larger system, they would be able to pack much more into the new Tecra Tablet then I'm seeing here, at least a better graphics card. I guess the Tecra series notebooks and tablets are touted as business machines, so graphics aren't at the top of their priority list.

Anyways, I'm well aware I've been rebutting my own arguments throughout this entire post... more just typing my thoughts :)

5. BenjaminRies

I think in a sense you're right to be disappointed, since the M4 was such a breakthrough for what it offered. You're also right to remember that Tecras aren't exactly aimed at gamers... and though gamers have plenty of forum representation, its the business customer decides to buy 50 or 60 of these in one shot.

In a sense, I'm sure the delay of Windows Vista is causing some interesting technology suppression. Those who can afford to wait until January to buy ANY new system probably will, seeing as they'll get Vista pre-installed as part of the package. Accordingly, laptop and tablet makers can hardly expect a huge sales splash before then... so there's not much incentive to come out with a whole bunch of revolutionary features.

Even when the Core 2 Duo chips are released from Intel, I predict a ho-hum level of activity until early next year. You might see models released for the holiday rush with a "guaranteed Vista upgrade" deal of some kind, however...

With that in mind, I'm just glad Toshiba is nice enough to refresh their M4 line for students like me who want, nay need, to start the school year with a tablet. I think the widescreen form factor - a first for Toshiba tablets - will bring with it some interesting benefits and drawbacks. They certainly didn't just pack faster crap into an M4 case... rather, they're offering integrated graphics for CAD professionals and anybody else who wants just a tad more beef than the Intel 950, without breaking the bank.

Better graphics and other new features would only raise the base price, don't ya know :)

6. okashira

okashira Scribbler - Standard Member

wow...

Widescreen?
    Lower resolution then previous model?
    Weaker graphics then previous model?
    Smaller screen but same weight as previous model?

very dissapointing.

edit: I don't think this should be considerd a refresh of the M4, considering it's now a widescreen.

7. okashira

Hm? This new model has a smaller screen then the M4. Not to mention the M4's screen dimentions are closer to that of A4 paper.

8. BenjaminRies

Dude,

Just because the screen loses vertical pixels, doesn't mean it will be physically that much smaller. Screen size (14.1") is measured along the diagonal, from corner to corner. So the Tecra M7 screen, when in Portrait mode, will be both thinner and longer than the M4 was. If you really want to split hairs, we're not talking about the exact dimensions of A4 paper - its just that I saw the CNet review where they showed a letter-sized paper that basically fit on an M4 screen, so I figured longer would mean closer. What I mean is that when you're taking notes furiously, you might appreciate a LONGER page as opposed to a wider one.

The graphics are only weaker if you intend to play games on high-quality settings on your tablet. Aside from the possibility of upgraded graphics (we've only seen the minimum specs), the M7's Quadro should be more powerful for business applications, CAD, 3D rendering work, etc. I (for one) am at least intruiged by the offer of something geared towards work rather than play.

Finally, since when does the form factor have to remain exactly the same in order to be considered a refresh? The M7 has so much else in common with the M4, targets so much of the same buyer needs, etc. But really, this is vocabulary and I'm not sure why this matters.

Are you angry about the M7? Do you want to talk about it? Maybe we could listen and try to console you.

9. BenjaminRies

For fun though, let's do some math (in portrait mode, of course):

Page Height-to-Width ratios...
    Letter... 11"/8.5" = 1.294
    A4... 11.75"/8.25" = 1.424
    Legal... 14"/8.5" = 1.647

Screen Height-to-Width ratios...
    SXGA+... 1400/1050 = 1.333
    WXGA+... 1440/900 = 1.6

See how the M4's SXGA+ screen is closest in proportion to North American "Letter" size, and how the M7 will be much closer to "Legal"? Now let's talk about A4. The standard XP taskbar height is 28 pixels, and we can expect at least an additional four times that much at the top of an Office 2007 app :)

WXGA+(writting space)... [1440-5*28]/900 = 1.444

My point is that to fit an entire A4 sized page within an application on the M4 screen in portrait mode, you'd have spaces at the sides. Now on the M7, you won't. As for North American "legal" size (8.5 x 14), the widescreen gets us much closer.

10. okashira

you're rambling. all I said is the M4 is damn near letter size, the wide screen just puts it furthur off. right... the M7's screen is only slightly smaller, but it is smaller (89in^2 vs 95 in^2). all and all, I was just confused by your comment; you implied that the M7 was a step forward closer to a4 size, when in fact it is a step backward.
    the graphics are weaker. the difference between a quadro and a regular geforce is marketing only. and I dont think you would find anyone in their right mind using doing CAD on such a small widescreen, its very cramped and frustrating. Putting a quadro on a widescreen is a bit of an oxymoron.
    change in form factor is HUGE factor here. what does it have in common with the M4? the fact that the diag. screen measurment is the same? I just think that this cannot be considered an M4 replacement, based on form factor only. Not to mention its deficiencies. this is all IMHO.

I'm a bit dissapointed with the outcome. No need for consoling, I can accept the facts. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.