Toshiba Tecra M4 Tablet PC First Look (pics, specs)

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Barry J. Doyle, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paperwasp

paperwasp Pen Pal - Newbie

I’m a collage student about to enter a computer animation program and I’m trying to find a laptop that I can use primarily to render and animate objects and such with 3D software (specially Maya). I was wondering whether or not the Tecra M4 would but up to the task of this – I sort of assume it would be if it can run Doom 3 – but I’m not sure of the technical requirements of this sort of work.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's my understanding those programs are more CPU intense where Doom is graphics card intense. Either way though, the M4 is the most powerful tablet on the market, and as strong as almost any other notebook out there. I don't think you'll have a problem, but you should configure with the higher end CPU.

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Brian is exactly right. While Doom 3 relies on the CPU to a degree, it's the video card that makes the big difference. The Tecra M4 has just one hell of a powerful card, the NVIDIA GO 6600 which uses the new lightening fast PCI Express Bus. If anything, the video will "futureproof" your machine for a bit and also be fantastic for powering up large hi-res external displays if the need arises.

Back to your question regarding animation. Maya will run beautifully on the basic 1.73GHz (533MHz Front Side Bus) Pentium M. If you really want to go for the gusto, you can also opt for a 1.86GHz Pentium M on the M4 as well. The great thing about the M4 is that it is on the Sonoma platform with the 533MHz FSB and PCI Express chipset, which for most users will make a minimal difference. But for 3D animation you will definately take full advantage of these latest and greatest technologies.

4. Eliwood

Eliwood Pen Pal - Newbie

I know some people around here are wondering exactly what the 6600 TE means. Don't fret over it too much. TE stands for "Toshiba Edition" and is a slightly underclocked version optimized for Tablet PC's and ultraportables. Consider yourself lucky that you're already getting a performance hard in a Tablet PC to begin with. On the graphics card scale, the 6600 TE is still significantly better than an ATI X600 but slightly worse than an X700 or a normal 6600.

5. gaz

gaz Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been researching various TabletPC models in order to purchase a few, and this site has been invaluable to me for good information, so thanks.

The Toshiba M4 is clearly the most powerful (and heaviest?) TabletPC currently available. The main questions I have about it - and that I hope you all have time to address in your review - are the following:

1) Display - How is its maximum brightness and ESPECIALLY angle of view, especially compared with other convertibles with great displays such as the HP tc4200 and Fujitsu 4010 (which has a BOE/Hydis FFE wide-angle display, and is still the best one I've seen yet). Is the display another standard Toshiba manufactured LCD with a "wide-angle" film applied to the surface, like Toshiba's other recent models?

2) Battery life - some real-world tests would be great. At full throttle, just how quick does this thing die? And how effective are the power-saving options?

3) Memory - I haven't yet found system specs on the DDR2 implementation. Is it dual-channel or single-channel?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to your review.

6. Barry J. Doyle

Gaz,

Here are some quick informal answers. I will do the best to outline specifics in the full review:

1. The display on the M4 is quite good. It is even brighter than the HP TC4200 and offers similar visibility from side angles.

2. Real world, "full-throttle" battery life is less than 2 hours. I have had a go with Doom 3 with wi-fi on, full brightness, etc. - couldn't go much further than an hour and a half. I had that sucker chugging!

3. The RAM is indeed Dual-Channel.

7. SuperRob

SuperRob Pen Pal - Newbie

Regarding the "stuck red pixel" on your LCD ... there is some software (and a DVD version as well) out there that can rapidly flash Red, Green and Blue screens over and over again that will supposedly fix the pixel if you let it run long enough. People are using a version of this software to fix stuck pixels on their PSP units, with varying levels of success.

It'll do nothing for a truly DEAD pixel (black, in other words), but for one that is simply stuck partially on, this might be able to do the trick.

8. Eliwood

Eliwood Pen Pal - Newbie

Could you post a link to this software? I'd be interested in testing it out on my PSP...

9. Barry J. Doyle

The best way to fix dead pixels on a PSP is to take the damn thing back to the store! That's what I did - However, here is the link to the video. Good Luck...

http://www.psp-vault.com/Article168.psp

10. Ant6n

Ant6n Pen Pal - Newbie

so now the m4 is out...
    ...its quite heavy though. Are there any rumors about the successor of the m200? That might be just the one for me.
    thx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.