Toshiba Support is THE WORST

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by DRTigerlilly, Jun 13, 2016.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I think it's fairly safe to say that after this debacle with Toshiba that my next device will be a Surface. I don't plan to EVER purchase another device from Toshiba.

last January I purchased a Toshiba WT310-106 OR Portege Z10T while I was living in the UK, for which I purchased a 4 year international warranty. I noticed that i was having issues with the touchscreen, where occasionally I would have issues with the screen moving around when i rested my hand on the screen to write.
    Though i've used tablet pc's for a long time, it was my first time using the capacitive touchscreens having used resistive touchscreens previously, and i chalked it up to a learning curve and deactivation of the touchscreen by the pen, and me not being used to the distance Toshiba used.

WRONG

Fast forward a few months later where i realize that the problem was getting worse, the device was having "phantom touches", where nothing was touching the device, but the screen was still registering touch, buttons being selected, windows opening, fingerprint trails and spot in Windows 10. It could also mean the screen moving around while i try to write, stray pen marks etc.

Unconcerned, since i had an international warranty, it was when i set down to do some serious tablet work, that it was becoming unusable and I decided to take it in for repair.

The first authorized international service center I interacted with was Intcomex in Jamaica. When they tried to check the warranty, all they could see on the device was the standard one year international warranty. I called up Toshiba UK from whom I purchased the warranty, they confirmed that the device did in fact have a 4 year international warranty. While on the call with Toshiba UK, the 4 year warranty THEN miraculously showed up on the service providers computers.

They accepted the device for evaluation and repair. While handing in the device the intake person observed the "fantom touches" and noted it.

Fast forward about 2 weeks, having heard nothing from the service center I decided to check on the status of the device. I was told they were unable to reproduce the error and could not go any further with the repair. However they would keep it a few more days to see if they could reproduce the error. I also offered to email video documentation I had of the error, if it would help.

They called back a few days later to inform me that they still could not reproduce the error. I was travelling to the US, and hoped to have better luck there. Spoke with an authorized service center who based on the serial number/warranty details felt they should be able to repair the device.

I went to collect the device from Intcomex, and was informed that even if they could reproduce the error, they had tried to order parts for the device and were unable to order parts from their system.

While taking back possession of the device, the error was then reproduced in the technicians presence. They noted the touch panel needs to be replaced, but they were unable to order any parts.

Arrived in the US, handed in the device at the authorized service center, called a week later to find out the status, and was informed that they were unable to repair the device, despite the international warranty, because they were unable to order parts or even get access to the service manual. That they had contacted Toshiba, had not received any response from them, and that the device would likely have to be returned to the UK for repair.

Called Toshiba support, unfortunately during a storm, there were intermittent outages on my land line, internet went down etc. Got interrupted on the call twice, and despite them confirming my mobile number no agent returned the call, when disconnected, and I had to go through the whole saga a total of FOUR times. Once for each disconnected call, once with the final call, and once again with the case manager to which i was assigned. The first CSR had been in the process of taking my shipping information and was going to elevate the call to a specialized unit (which i forget the name of) Subsequent CSR's were clueless to that and I had to start from scratch.

The case manager i eventually spoke with Giselle, promised to return my call by the end of the day on Friday (8PM) (call was initiated around Midday) or on Monday (today)

Midday Monday i received a call from the International Service Center, that they are unable to order parts, that I need to come and collect my device, it has to be returned to the UK for service.

I called Toshiba Support to inform them of the Service Centers position, spoke with a CSR and was then elevated again to Giselle who is still working on the case. I am to be updated at 6 PM today.

Bear in mind despite all of this that Toshiba USA did sell the Portege Z10T and I paid for an International Warranty.

I have been in contact with Toshiba UK frequently during the course of this ordeal, and they don't understand why none of the International Service Centers are unable to honor the international warranty service.

UPDATE #2: The Service center is denying service based on the fact that they are getting conflicting information from Toshiba, and they say it is not worth the hassle. Also saying that the warranty is for European countries only and does not cover Latin America or the United States.

Toshiba UK insists that the warranty is an international warranty, and the device is covered by any country in which Toshiba has an international service center, including Latin America and the United States.

Toshiba USA is still silent...

UPDATE #3 Called Toshiba this morning, to find out what the H E double hockey sticks is going on. I'm being told that the Authorized Service Providers cannot order parts for the device because it is not a US model, and that they are trying to source/locate the parts from their vendors to facilitate the repair. Still waiting to be updated.

Toshiba UK has once again escalated the issue...on their side....admitting i shouldn't have to be going through all this madness, but it is out of their hands...

UPDATE #4 Two weeks into this debacle with Toshiba USA, and after two days of radio silence they still have no updates, and are still "working on it" and waiting to hear from higher ups

Toshiba UK says they have a possible solution and are trying to work out logistics, and will get back to me by Monday.

UPDATE #5 Three weeks in Toshiba USA still has been silent. Decided to do my own research and found that the parts are IDENTICAL between the US & UK models. Called my case manager heatedly to ask WHY if they parts are identical, WHY if i have an international warranty am I not receiving warranty service. Same spiel, they're trying to source the parts from their vendors...I asked why I'm able to find parts to purchase online and they can't source parts...and was told the parts are back ordered. Asked about the ETA on the back ordered parts...was hung up on TWICE.

Continued to do my own research with National Parts Depot Toshiba's parts supplier and received the following information.

[​IMG]

So Toshiba USA has taken 3 weeks to tell me the parts are back ordered and they have no idea WHEN they will receive parts.

I've received the message loud and clear, Toshiba doesn't support or stand behind their products. This has been going on since the end of April and it's essentially taken almost 2 months for Toshiba to say we don't have the parts on hand.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Starlight5 and kvoram like this.
  2. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Sometimes filing a complaint with the BBB gets things moving along faster from my understanding and id add to that nothing is acceptable at this point then a complete refund. Or call the attorney general and file a negligence claim for gross incompetence on the part of toshiba warranty and repair for making you waste 2 months of your life fighting a pos company.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. DRTigerlilly

The BBB claim went nowhere. Toshiba USA refused to honour the international warranty and insisted I contact Toshiba UK.

BBB closed the case and suggested dispute resolution with a company called JAMS

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Toshiba is likely to file for bankruptcy or be divided between NEC and Fujitsu, for all practical purposes they have seized to function as a company, people are running for the lifeboats.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

And my WT310 has kicked the bucket :vbfrown: out of the blue, it will no longer power on....battery is fine, and had no issues....

6. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

This makes me sad.

There have been few enough choices in the tablet pc space, now one of the good ones has left- left customers holding the bag. Sad.

I'm nursing my now ancient Asus tablets along, wondering what I'd replace them with.

Sad.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Maybe you can call somebody at Bain Capital now. Complete Care has been great by the way.

8. DRTigerlilly

I thought they were only buying the chip unit? :p

9. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

damn, how long did you have it?

10. DRTigerlilly

a little over two years, but it's had issues from w/in the first year.