Toshiba Satellite R20 Series

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by gimpy, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimpy

gimpy Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been thinking of getting a Toshiba Satellite from the R20 series (or the R25 pre-configured model) and I've yet to find anything bad about it online, but that's not saying much as I've been having trouble find any info on it (every site is just reposting the same review), it's fairly new to the market (less then 2 months old I believe) so I don't know how much info is out there for it right now and I was wondering if anybody had any info on it and/or has had any problems with it?

I've also been wondering if I should customize the R20 (which ends up being $600 more than the R25) or just suck up that the R25 doesn’t have bluetooth and just buy a usb bluetooth adapter for it.

2. NiVeDh

NiVeDh Pen Pal - Newbie

I got the R25-S3503 from Circuit City yesterday. It is a great machine. Only gripe I have so far is the lid release latch is kind of sensitive. Oh and the Toshiba-installed garbage which took me 6 hours to remove.

All in all, great deal and awesome PC. It's my first tablet PC and I'm loving it.

3. Lbgrowl

Lbgrowl Pen Pal - Newbie

It is $1,234 after tax, shipping, and rebates from CompUSA this week. Everyone has had only positive things to say about it...(just browse the toshiba forums here)

LINK

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The R20 sounds like an outstanding deal compared to what you would get for hundreds more a year ago!

5. Semitallsmalls

Semitallsmalls Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got the customized version of the R20 & it is great. The dual core 2.0 ghz w/ 1024 mb at RAM really screams! The keyboard feels great. The writing experience feels very natural on the screen. I have similar gripes as NiVeDh has and also the fingerprint reader takes a lot of tries for it to register. Overall, its a great machine. I give it a 9/10.

6. SkiBunny

SkiBunny Pen Pal - Newbie

It has great value, perhaps second only to the Gateway CX2620 i saw on an amazing sale at Tiger for only $699.

But... i looked at the R20 in the store, and i thought the screen was just HORRIBLE !!

Doesn't anyone else think the R20 display is terrible?? (it was using native resolution and setup right)... perhaps if nobody else thinks the display is poor, it was just the one on demo?

7. NiVeDh

NiVeDh Pen Pal - Newbie

How was the display "terrible"? The only problem I have with it is in extremely bright conditions where it tends to reflect a lot, especially at angles where you are not looking at the screen perpendicularly.

8. mtm

mtm Pen Pal - Newbie

I also thought the display was terrible, so much so that I looked at models in two different stores to make sure the first one I saw wasn't just a random flakey unit. Unfortunately, they both had a very noticable "grainy" or "glittery" appearance (sorry if that is not clear enough, but I don't know any better way to describe it -- if you've seen the same thing, I think you'll know what I mean). I've seen cell phones with a similar appearance, which is presumably because the screens on most phones aren't hugely important, so they use fairly cheap LCDs, but I don't recall ever seeing such a bad laptop display.

Does anybody know if the M7 looks the same, or is this just a lesser quality display used for the cheaper R20/R25 models? I have an M7 on order, but if the display looks like this, I want to cancel. It's ugly enough to be a dealbreaker for me.

Thanks,
    Michael

9. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think the display is terrible. It's just not meant for outdoor viewing that's all. I have mine from CircuitCity and have been enjoying it ever since. This is my first convertible notebook (and TabletPC). I've gotten quite used to how to effectively swipe my fingers on the scanner that I almost always get a correct scan.

I've been using mine to manage my DSLR pictures and Photoshop editing. It's a great deal.

10. mtm

mtm Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, I don't know. I saw two of them indoors (in-store) and they looked awfully grainy to me. Not that I go around comparing notebook screens all the time, but it's definitely worse than any one I've ever used, or any of the other ones I looked at in the stores. The graininess is particularly noticeable on light colors, like the white background when you open up the Ink Art application. I found it very distracting.

I agree it's a great deal, and it's just about everything I'm looking for in a tablet, but if the M7 screen isn't any better, I might still have to pass on it. Has anybody seen the M7 and R25 side-by-side? Are both screens grainy?

Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.