Toshiba Portege X20W

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by surfaceproartist, Feb 16, 2017.

1. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks Bitech, the Z20t does look really nice! I just wish it had a Thunderbolt 3 port with four lanes so I could have the possibility of using an external graphics card in the future. Also I wanted to get it in a Core i7 16 GB config, but for some reason, Toshiba Canada doesn't sell the Z20t in that config (actually they didn't even sell the X20w in that config - I just "lucked" out and found that the Microsoft Store carried that config). This is one of sometimes where I wish I lived closer to the US border so I could cross-border shop!

At any rate, I did manage to get my hands on a Wacom Bamboo Ink pen, and it does make for a better writing experience for me - more because of the shape and texture of the pen's body. The pen Toshiba includes has a metal barrel that looks nice, but is really slippery to hold. The Wacom Bamboo Ink, however, is rubberized. I think for the most part the pressure seems curve more or less similar to the Toshiba pen, but I don't feel like I have to grip the pen harder to keep it from slipping away from me, which makes the writing a bit more natural. I understand that's a hugely personal preference though (as I know several expensive traditional ink pens use all metal bodies!).

Yao likes this.
  2. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

hello rxcash,

how is the fan noise of the x20w? is it quiet or loud at times?

3. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

Under average business and home use (e.g. Word documents, browsing the internet, watching videos), the fan is either completely off or very quiet. However, if you push the CPU to full load for an extended period of time, then the fan is very loud. It almost sounds like a mini jet engine (has a bit of a high-pitched whine to it as opposed to just the sound of air moving). Usually I only experience the fan noise if I am playing a demanding game on the computer (which of course was not what the computer was designed for).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Yao likes this.