Toshiba Portege X20W

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by surfaceproartist, Feb 16, 2017.

1. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

I found some images of what looks to be the Japanese version of the X20W. It is marketed as a Toshiba dynabook VZ72: http://digitalista51.com/pc/dynabook09

Searching up that model, I found some photos of it disassembled here: http://ykr.ykr414.com/2016/12/02/dynabook-vz/

This clearly shows that the SSD is in fact installed via an M.2 slot but it is on the opposite side of the motherboard, so it looks like a fairly complete disassembly would be required in order to replace the SSD.

20161202_100a.jpg 20161202_100b.jpg

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting. It's quite likely that our unit did have an SSD hiding on the underside of the motherboard. I open them up and sometimes remove the heat sinks to see what quality of thermal paste is used, but I don't completely remove the motherboards (and it's unusual to see an SSD on the underside of the motherboard, I've only seen that done with MSI slim gaming laptops (Stealth line).

rcxAsh and Starlight5 like this.
  3. rcxAsh

Indeed, it makes me wonder why they didn't put the other ICs (the RAM?) that are soldered onto the non-accessible side of the motherboard and then the replaceable parts on the easily accessible side. Must have been a trace routing challenge assuming the PCB has many layers.

Anyway, I love your reviews, Lisa!

4. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, that would have been nice. I'm sure there's some reason-- either PCB design or simply to keep the heat from the SSD away from other components (albeit moving it closer to your hands through the keyboard).

5. rcxAsh

So I decided to pull the trigger on one of these from the Microsoft Store website. The Microsoft Store was the only place as far as I could see in Canada offering the 16 GB version (not to mention it was cheaper than the 8GB models sold elsewhere).

This is the first non-Fujitsu laptop I'm going with, so I'm curious to see how the experience is. Compared to the Fujitsu P727, the X20W looked more future-proof with the Thunderbolt 3 port. Not to mention the price point of the P727 just seemed a bit unreasonable compared to other comparable offerings.

Also a correction to my note about, I think in Japan this is generally the dynabook V or VZ. The numbers appear to indicate different configurations of it.

There is a four-page article here, which describes some of the behind the scenes design choices Toshiba made, including a comparison comparison showing the miniaturization efforts made for the X20W. An interesting scroll through (linked through Google Translate): https://translate.google.ca/transla.../elem/000/001/278/1278441/&edit-text=&act=url

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@rcxAsh do they by chance have WWAN-equipped version in Japan?

7. rcxAsh

@Starlight5 unfortunately, I'm not too sure - I don't read Japanese but from the Google Translate translations nothing stood out as mentioning WWAN availability - even the disassembled photos of device in the Japanese articles show the same unused SIM slot solder points that you noticed from the NotebookCheck review photos.

There is a separate site for these notebooks here that you could explore too: https://dynabook.com/2in1-mobile-notebook-tablet/v-series/index.html

I wonder if that daughter-board is used in other Toshiba models that do offer WWAN?

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. rcxAsh

So I've had the X20W for a few days now. It's a lot thinner than the Fujitsu T901 for sure. However, I'm underwhelmed by the inking experience compared to the T901 (and even the much older Fujitsu T4010D). I'm guessing that I've been spoiled by the older Wacom EMR Penabled Tablet PCs? The writing surface on the X20W is great - it's a good amount of friction such that you don't feel like you're writing on glass (just like the experience on the T901 and the T4010D), but the precision of the Wacom AES digitizer just seems worse..?

Two main things I'm noticing, compared to my experience with the T901/T4010D (in MS OneNote):
    • The pressure sensitivity curve is not consistent or natural - the beginning and ending of strokes in writing doesn't consistently have that natural ink-pen taper. At first I thought I had pressure sensitivity disabled, but I verified it was by deliberately trying very drastic pressure differences. It's just in natural writing it doesn't seem to pick up any notable pressure differences. This was never the case with my T901 and T4010D.
    • The tracking/polling doesn't seem to be as consistent. Curves aren't as smooth, and writing appears very uneven. I don't have neat handwriting to begin with, but this digitizer seems to make my writing look worse than I thought it was!
    Overall I do like the overall package of the X20W.. I'll have to decide if the way I usually use the pen (notes and technical drawing annotations) means I won't be able to stand the digitizer in the long run. It's not terrible, but it's not as good as the T901's digitizer.

If I had to sum it up, I'd say that the T901's digitizer felt more like a professional tool, while the X20W's digitizer feels like... a toy?

Me being new to AES digitizers, does anyone know if using a different pen might give different results? With the EMR digitizers, it didn't seem to matter whether I used the T901 pen or the T4010D pen (both were compatible with each other), but I noticed that the AES pen landscape is less consistent in implementation (e.g. not all are even compatible with each other)?

Below are two separate PDF annotations I did this week, the one on the left is on the T901, the one on the right is on the X20W. Both did the job I needed them to, but you can see how the T901's lines on the left appear more "confident" and smooth compared to the X20W on the right.

Capture.PNG

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. rcxAsh

As a caveat to my notes about the writing experience on the X20W, I did see this video here of a comparison between a Surface Pro pen and the Wacom Bamboo Ink pen, and it became apparent to me that the writing experience on these new AES digitizers can vary drastically depending on the implementation of the pen. I may have to see if I can get my hands on another non-Toshiba stylus to try.

10. Bitech

Bitech Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe the Portege Z20t might serve you better? It's Toshiba's detachable convertible with Wacom's EMR digitizer.