Toshiba Portege X20W

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by surfaceproartist, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Critical Observer

Critical Observer Pen Pal - Newbie

The X20W was reviewed by the good folks of Notebookcheck, pretty much echoing the sentiments expressed by @billydog72 in this thread; they gave it 88% overall score.

The model with i5-7200/8GB/256GB is priced at cool 1700€ here in Europe. I'm waiting for NBC to review Lifebook P727, as these 2 devices look very very similar and with a bit thicker case, the Fujitsu machine might come out on top when it comes to the keyboards.

2. billydog72

billydog72 Pen Pal - Newbie

I returned it.....keyboard space bar became unresponsive and would miss keystrokes. Didn't trust it to swap for another one. Definitely a shame on an otherwise nice machine.

3. ZenAkrua

ZenAkrua Pen Pal - Newbie

This has TB3, correct? Can someone run HWINFO64 and tell me what the lanes are on the port? x4 or x2?

4. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

I know this thread is old, but HWinfo reports 4 lanes.

Bronsky and Starlight5 like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My favorite reviewer reviewed it as well.

Shame my college bound daughter wants a 15" convertible.

MobileTechReview likes this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Notebookcheck's review clearly shows contact pads for SIM-slot and m.2 b-key slot.
    [​IMG]
    I wonder if simply soldering them to the sub-board would allow a WWAN modem installation... Would love a chat with someone who engineered these machine, or a look at schematics.

7. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

How is this device when used in tablet mode? Is it awkward to carry around and use for taking hand-written notes? What about fan noise? Could you use this in a meeting room discreetly?

I'm looking for a something to replace my Fujitsu T901 and had so far only been looking at slate devices, but I randomly came across the X20W and noticed that it is actually pretty thin for being a convertible (~1.5 cm?).

Ideally I wanted something with an NVIDIA GPU, but with some devices coming out with Thunderbolt 3 now, I realized I could just get an external GPU when needed. (Consequently, I was originally looking at the Eve V, and now also the Acer Switch 7 - but none of those have any real-world reviews).

8. Bitech

Bitech Pen Pal - Newbie

The display looks like it was originally made to have a 3:2 screen ratio (1920 x 1280) but they decided at the last minute to make it 1920 x 1080 instead, leaving a super thick bezel at the bottom. A 3:2 screen would have made much more sense, being a tablet PC.

rcxAsh and Starlight5 like this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

This describes virtually every single Lenovo laptop since 2008 or so. It goes like this:

1: design comfortable keyboard with sizable trackpad, giving a base with aspect ratio 3:2.
    2: Select cheap (since widely available) 16:9 screen

Result: giant bezels! There really seems to be no excuse other than manufacturer cost or panel availability. Plus the fact that customers still buy these things, and that includes me..

rcxAsh, Starlight5 and bloodycape like this.
  10. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone here still own this? I'm curious about whether or not the SSD is in-fact soldered on. A commenter on the MobileTechReview video (great review!) mentioned that their model had a socketed SSD, but the only photos I've seen of the computer's internals don't show an SSD visibly. Also I notice Crucial's upgrade finder lists M.2 SSDs as upgrade options for the X20W-D: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Toshiba/portege-x20w-d which makes me wonder more.

I'd probably just buy it with the largest SSD capacity I could get.. but was just more thinking of repairability of the device, since technically SSDs are a wear item.