Toshiba Portege X20W

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by surfaceproartist, Feb 16, 2017.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Spent a few minutes earlier today playing with this new convertible laptop from Toshiba. i5 7200U/8 GB RAM/ 256 GB SSD/ 12.5 inch FHD display with matte finish.

It has a Wacom ActiveES pen but with the matte texture and soft nib, felt very much like EMR to me.

It's selling for $1199 at the Microsoft Store.

Anyone else have a chance to check one out?

2. surfaceproartist

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ships10, Marty, kvoram and 1 other person like this.
  3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How is the display, and how does it compare to the Surface? Is the display matte too? How much does it weigh?

4. surfaceproartist

Display looked good in the bright lights of the store, but I honestly didn't focus on that. I think it was about 2.4 lbs. Shaped a little awkwardly when in tablet mode. Screen is matte finished.

bloodycape likes this.
  5. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

RAM not upgradeable, no fingerprint reader, no info whether there will be WWAN version... While it's an interesting machine, I do not see reasons to choose it over other brands.

6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sadly, we won't see SO-DIMM slots in such compact form factors ever again.

As for fingerprint reader though, it does have one, integrated into the touchpad.They call this option "SecurePad". It also has an IR camera for Windows Hello.

[​IMG]

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@kvoram yet we still do - on some Thinkpad, Lifebook, Elitebook convertibles. Thank you for the tip about SecurePad, it's actually a very interesting feature.

8. billydog72

billydog72 Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought this laptop last week from MS store, on sale for $1097! So far I'm loving it. Super light and battery life even this early on in my evaluation has been stellar. Inking is great with the right amount of resistance on the screen using a Dell pen from my previous XPS12. I will say the Toshiba pen provided has a very nice build but the tip seems so darn fine and harsh....you feel like you are scratching away at the screen protector that is factory installed.

I'm thinking that this will be my road warrior device to replace my Surface 3 and Surface book combo I have currently in the mix.

I use inking for note taking as I'm not an artist....but really really like the way it writes.

Mine has the i5 Kaby Lake and 256 SSD, 8 Gb Ram.

Starlight5 and kvoram like this.
  9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@billydog72 Thanks for your first impressions. What do you think about its keyboard compared to your other (previous) devices?
    Did you by any chance use it outside anwhere? Given its matte display (protector) I was wondering how well this might be suited to battle sunlight.

10. billydog72

billydog72 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd give the keyboard a 7 or 8/10. It's definitely usable and my speed is decent on it, but it doesn't inspire confidence completely when typing. The matte screen protector did help on a recent trip to Starbucks with daylight streaming thru the window, albeit indirectly, didn't affect my use of it with only 1/3rd brightness.

Overall the machine feels real snappy with fast boot and quick response in the Microsoft suite.