Toshiba Portege M700 Tablet PC Released

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by artboymoy, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What is it with manufacturers and 'slice' batteries these days. The Toshiba extends battery life to about 8 and a half hours with a 'slice' battery which I assume is like the Dell slice battery in that it is a whole slice of lithium goodness stuck to the bottom of the machine through the docking port. I would take a battery that sticks out the back of the tablet (even providing a place to grip) any day over a thick slab of power that adds thickness and is hard to put on and take off.

2. rahulnirmal

rahulnirmal Pen Pal - Newbie

Aw, why no Expresscard slot?

Interesting that Toshiba says you can put another HDD in the modular bay, how does that work exactly?

3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Finally after much hiatus and silence Toshiba has refreshed their one of their Portege 12.1" Tablet PC models to the new Santa Rosa platform, now what about bringing their Tecra/Satellite 14.1" Tablet PC line back to life? :)

It is unfortunate that many manufacturers are going to widescreen-ratio aspect displays versus standard-ratio aspect displays, and away from SXGA+ screens. Seeing as how there is an ever-growing shortage and ever-growing demand for them, I'm predicting that we won't see many newly configured Tablet PCs at 12.1" 4:3 standard-ratio with SXGA+ for a while - that is until the manufacturer(s) that produce those screens bump production up or if other manufacturers get into that market.

4. quantum

The DVD drive and HDD probably have identical connectors, so you just pop in one or the other. That's usually the case with other manufacturers and modular bay HDD's.

5. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Finally, a tablet with Windows XP. I'll be getting this as soon as my wallet recovers from Christmas (damn, HDTV makes me regret it)

6. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member

We are on the list for a review unit as well, so keep checking back because as soon as I get a little hands-on I will have some information posted for everyone to read.

7. SimsHsia

For you "technical folks" and you want to have some enjoyment for a little "light reading" ( :rolleyes: ) you can checkout/read the Portege M700 manual, here (~5 MB).

For you prospective/future owners who have nothing to do while anxiously waiting for Toshiba to build/ship your Tablet PC, say no more, go above and read it. Besides, when will you read it? Certainly not on the day that you receive it! :D You'll be too busy memorized, installing, configuring, etc your new Tablet PC. :p

For the rest of you who are curious, you guys can go ahead too! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  8. quantum

Thanks for the link SimsHsia, I read through the leaked Latitude XT manual, will definitely read through this...

Edit: I just looked through the manual, and for the most part it is like a quick start guide for a piece of consumer electronics. The nitty gritty hardware options are completely left out, and any accessories that coupld possibly be attached are barely mentioned. For example, the manual shows us how to eject the slim bay device without stating what that device could be, referring the reader to the Toshiba accessories section.

I know that things can vary greatly with configuration, but in all honesty the manual isn't what I call 'comprehensive'. The section about the tablet buttons just shows us the software in which we can change the button assignments without giving us a clue what these assignments can be or what they are limited to. Not to mention the fact that the default uses of the buttons aren't mentioned either.

I'm waiting for a hands on review for this one...

9. SimsHsia

Did anyone catch how there's no latch for the screen? Compare where the latch is for the M400 and compare it to the M700. Now, compare the M700 to the R400. Does something look *very* similar on how the M700 and R400 screen closes? It doesn't close like the T2010 that doesn't have a latch or anything holding the screen in place.

The "latching portion" is located on either side of the display flanking both sides of the hinge. Quite possibly, Toshiba chose to implement the same way the R400 swivels and locks in to place when you close the display or convert it down into tablet mode because of the 1.3 MP integrated camera at the top of the screen bezel.

Other than that, looking forward to the first look and full review of the M700. :)

10. Vandyu

Vandyu Pen Pal - Newbie

I was ready to put my money down on the Dell XT, but when I read that it doesn't have any optical drive built in, I lost interest. I think that's a mistake on Dell's part. Now, the Tosh has my interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.