Toshiba Portégé Z20t Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by ile, Nov 15, 2014.

1. donbartolo

donbartolo Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for you feedback Mr Bush. :)

I really hope someday an artist will give his feedback about this tablet.

2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I got the Bamboo Feel Black in. Was supposed to be brand new, but the nib looked worn and the replacement nibs are missing. Buying new nibs for this would set it above the price of just buying a brand new one, so I will likely be sending this back.

With that said, I am probably going to splurge and buy the Bamboo Carbon. This is the best writing Wacom pen I've ever used. It's pretty crazy, because the calibration is almost perfect anywhere on the screen and I haven't calibrated for this pen. It's not as much drag as the felt tips, but it's more than the stock Toshiba pen.

This one is a winner in my book, but it's really a shame that there's one button and no eraser; no idea who thought that was a good idea at Wacom. I just found out about the scratch out gesture in OneNote (been using it for almost 2 years now and never knew about that, pretty cool gesture!) so I will make due with the side button as the lasso tool and scratch out to erase.

Really nice pen.

3. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

What gesture are you talking about?

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Haha. Go into OneNote advanced settings and UNcheck "Disable scratch out gesture" to enable it (strange way to word the setting).

Write something. Let's say you wrote "write something," in a pretty quick motion, draw 3 back and forth lines through the entire phrase without lifting the pen, and then lift it up from the page.

It should erase.

ile likes this.
  5. ile

Wow. Interesting

6. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in the market for a newer EMR tablet and the Z20T is definitely on the shortlist. One of the things I need however is a good video out option for a 1080+ plus display, specifically 2560x1440 on my Dell U2713HM. Unless I'm missing something, it appears my only options are HDMI and VGA on the tablet and/or keyboard which aren't going to cut it. Is there a mystery dock I'm missing somewhere with DisplayPort and/or DVI-D out or would I be stuck with a USB DisplayLink video solution to go full res on my monitor?

As for alternatives, I see the Helix 2 has miniDP on the pro keyboard dock, but I generally prefer the Toshiba due the larger screen size and matte display. The only other things out there in semi-modern EMR are the Fujitsu's which all have other tradeoffs.

I'd kill for a successor to this if they kept everything the same but added a TB3 port and went to Skylake M.

7. ile

The Toshiba has full sized HDMI

8. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

Indeed, but unfortunately HDMI won't push 2560x1440 (at least not at 60hz). I know HDMI 1.4a+ ports can do 1080+ at 30hz, but my monitor and most out there won't take a higher than 1080 signal unless it's over DisplayPort or dual link DVI and I'd want to run at 60hz anyway.

9. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just received mine, naturally I'm comparing against my TP Yoga and the Helix 2.

Love the matte display, writing with the pen and it has a scratchy feel, pretty cool.

Accupoint click-buttons are a bit disappointing, need to find some way to have a little ridge to them.
    edit - found a way. A small piece of cushion-like material horizontal on each button, gives it a raised "ridge" to give your thumb a little extra torque when clicking the button similar to the Thinkpad buttons. After using it like this for a few hours now it's a night and day difference for me. I'm a huge trackpoint addict, so this is really a big deal :) I was worried at first about the material pressing against the display, but there is enough wiggle room in there when closed that it doesn't make much of a difference.

The "J" key doesn't have an indentation, and the keys are so flat it's sometimes hard to reset you hands.

Love the keyboard backlighting, but can't make out the FN Key Symbol even when lit. Hard to easily access volume / brightness. I installed "Touch Me Gestures" so that fixes that. Now a three finger screen swipe left/right controls volume and up/down controls brightness. I also installed 3rvx so I have a better keyboard shortcut for volume, I just set CTRL- Up/Down for volume and CTRL-Left for mute. The FN/CTRL button are swapped from my Thinkpad, so a bit getting used to.

Occasionally it feels a bit sluggish, but that's in relation to my i5 TP Yoga, so no big deal. My VM seems to run fine and I have SQL Server on it as well, so not complaining at all, just have to remember that's why the occassional delay.

Does not seem top heavy to me at all after using the Helix 2 :) That was top heavy!

Not a big fan of the included stylus, a bit fat and a bit cheap feeling, really think they should of done better with this, so I'll stick to using the Pen from my X60T.

So far still getting it configured and trying to decide on how I want it configured (W8 vs W10, Clean vs Factory, etc. etc.) so trying different options for now.

I think I'm a bit spoiled with the Lenovo System Update. I'd just install that on any Thinkpad and it would auto detect my model and grab the appropriate drivers. I'm not having the same luck with the Toshiba Service Station, it says there are no driver downloads available even though I don't have much installed. I'm going back to the factory install to see how it works there and maybe I can figure it out.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Doesn't work on my tablet. But wait, 3 back and forth, is that a total of six?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.