Toshiba Portégé Z20t Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by ile, Nov 15, 2014.

1. ledoweb

ledoweb Pen Pal - Newbie

About the screen, well, I'll make an example. I'm on the sofa with my pc and I have my 40" samsung TV in front of me. After watching the television for 2-3min, when I go back to the screen of the Toshiba I cannot unsee that whites are somehow between yellow and green, like dirt paper, not those brilliant pure whites that my TV or my other PC monitor show. When i get used to them they become more natural to my eyes, but they remain somehow weird.

About the heat, as I said, it's not burning hot but it's warm enough to hurt my skin a little if I leave my hand still on the screen for several seconds. It's not always like this, but it happens quite often when I use OneNote.
    I'm not surprised though, as I read some Asus UX305 reviews (which uses the same Core M CPUs) that had temps up to 120 degrees! (For reference, the theorical maximum temp for this Core M is 95 deg.)

Windows 10 was not pre-installed, I upgraded as I did on all my other computers. I also updated all the drivers, including touchpad ones.
    Reading around, I found that apparently the touchpad needs to be a "Precision Touchpad" to have stock Win10 multitasking gestures working. And this ALPS unit mounted on the z20t isn't.
    So the only option is to have 3 fingers gestures implemented in the drivers themselves, and obviously the current drivers don't have them either.
    Ill'use Win+Tab then :\

ile likes this.
  2. ivan99

ivan99 Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone has an opinion on our z20t vs the new MS surface book?
    i am proud that my z20t has the following advantages:
    1-silent no fan noise yes the tablet heats but not major annoyance ms s bk i heard is noisy bcoz of fans
    2-tablet mode battery lasts at least 5hrs ms s bk only 3 hrs at best
    3-z20t has matt screen much less glare than ms s bk
    4-absence of ports on the tablet of the ms s bk !! major goof on MS!
    to site a few not involving the price tag! please feel free to comment

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, I've brought up the Z20t on the SB thread here and offered a comparison on Reddit. Here's the thing, Microsoft made a very pretty and well built product and had a massive event surrounding it. A lot of reviews are talking about how Microsoft reinvented the laptop form factor with the SB; no they didn't. Toshiba, Lenovo, and others are on their 3rd years making these types of devices. Minus the "muscle wire" and fancy pants stuff, our Z20t is quite similar in hinge mechanism.

From my discussions, people have immediately dissed the Z20t for two main reasons: resolution and aspect ratio. I enjoyed the 3:2 of the SP3, but going back to 16:9 wasn't bad at all and I enjoy this aspect ratio too. Secondly, yes our screen doesn't push that many pixels, but it's still plenty sharp.

What it comes down to is the tasks you're using the machine for. I have a custom built desktop (in my sig) that is my heavy hitter. The Z20t is my secondary device that I need for school and travel. Do I need an i5/i7 and a dGPU to write papers, take notes in OneNote, and browse the web? No. The 5Y71 is perfectly capable and quite possibly overkill for some tasks. But I have 8GB RAM, which is great for productivity. The big sealing point for me is battery life. The Z20t puts the SB to shame in both modes.

Most people either don't care about the feel of stylus notetaking or have no clue of the difference between Wacpm, N-Trig, Synaptics, etc. I love the feeling of a matte screen, hard felt nibs, and EMR.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is I purchased this Z20t to fit my needs. At this time, it does it better than the SB, but that's for my situation. Retail price of my Z20t puts it above some of the SB's. That's too high at this time if Toshiba wants to sell these to consumers.

ile and Mesosphere like this.
  4. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

That is what I think, too.

Especially resolution : this is the main reason why a Surface Book is a no go for me: just try using Eclipse on a 280 ppi screen, complete nightmare...

5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've read some of the pen posts throughout these forums, but they're older now.

Anyone know of a pen other than the T5000 that takes legacy nibs and either has two buttons or 1 button and an eraser?

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Edit-
    What exactly are "legacy" nibs? Do you mean te packs of felt, spring or hard nibs you could by and insert?

If so, all the EMR X-series Thinkpad pens have 1 button plus eraser and take legacy nibs. Mine has felt and spring tips I got online. Works great. Also, Fujitsu pens have 2 buttons plus eraser, and I believe they also take legacy nibs. Motion Computing Pena are also very nice- 1 button plus eraser, and a nice thick barrel to the pen to make it more ergonomic to hold. All of them easy to find cheap in eBay. Maybe Amazon too.

7. spartan7_7

spartan7_7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am running ubuntu gnome 14.04 lts on this and keep getting popups now and then about encountering an error. I also am seeing grub 2 is taking forever when I down arrow to my windows partition.

Anyone else seeing these issues?

Thinking of jumping to antegros with a newer kernel to see if that fixes the issues but wanted to ask if anyones has any feedback..

8. hththt

hththt Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes
    I ve found that the modbook clone
    Wacom pu 911e should work.
    But i dont like too fat pens either and it has just 512 levels of thats important anyhow.

I figure the fujitsu isnt all that good with the Toshiba due to calibration issues?

A bummer... I have to find a good art pen quickly as my 2nd hand z20t comes without a pen.

So the s-pen (ativ pro) works well and supports at least 1024 as mentioned a few posts back?

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The pressure levels are not in the pen tech. They're in the board in the computer, and the software. The pen is the pen. Whatever they've gotten on the z20t in terms of levels of pressure is what you'll get, regardless of whatever pen you use. If its 256 or 512 or whatever, it will stay that way, even if you use a pen that can be used on a device that supports 1024.

10. hththt

hththt Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for clearing that up!!!
    So much foggy Marketing out there!

Shouldn't I be able to calibrate any classic wacom emr pen just as good as the trupen too?