Toshiba Portégé Z20t Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by ile, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Please stop spamming my inbox with messages. You're a new user, so your posts are moderated at the moment.

I have not tried a pl900 pen. Any Wacom EMR pen will work (I think). Use what you want.

2. hththt

hththt Pen Pal - Newbie

3. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

Laptop experience:

- feels pretty normal when using on a desk. No wobbling while typing or using the touch pad. No indication of top heaviness. I don't get distracted by any of such effects, it just feels like a normal laptop to me. At least, I can't remember them. ;)

- angles are wide enough on a table. But I wouldn't mind a larger angle in successors. It's good enough so that I don't care about it, but I would not call it perfect. However, this is a detachable, so this is to be expected and as I said the angle is wide enough to not get upset.

- cannot give feedback on Lap usage. I don't use it on my lap.

- wanted to use it in my bed on my belly. This turned out to be not ideal. Because the screen is nearly in a 90 degree angle. At that angle, wobbling becomes an irritating issue. Admittedly, that's not the use case it was designed for. Screen needs to have some degrees beyond 90 in order to stay in place without wobbling.

- I used a T904 for a while. Cannot really compare with regard to wobbling. Too long ago. Did not use a detachable before

- keys have nice feedback, relatively silent, not mushy at all in my opinion. The T904 keys are very mushy, the Z20t keys are worlds better. I really like the keyboard. Not far away from perfect if we just consider low profile laptop keyboards.

No, I did not use an alternative pen. I am happy with the Toshiba pen.

4. donbartolo

donbartolo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello to all!

> Any experience with the Portege for drawing?
    (Photoshop, Manga studio/ Clip Studio, Toon Boom Harmony, tvpaint)?

If yes, does it lag? (I was stil not able to find any artist review with the core M...^^ )

> Can someone compare the feeling when drawing to the cintiq companion?

----------------------------

ps: concerning the person with the PL 900 stylus question: i have this pen at home.
    I bought it directly from the Wacom Store for my Smart Ativ Pro 700t.
    > parallax issues
    > you feel that there are only 512levels of pressure. It's really annoying for my style of drawing.
    > So i used it once, and put it back in its box.

The Ativ Pro pen supports 1024 levels of pressures and uses the special nibs from Wacom (you just have tu cut a piece at the end of the nib to fit correctely). It's really cool and it's little size doesn't bother me at all: i even prefere it on a small 12" screen.
    Should work nice on the Portege but it's disappointing that it doesn't support the 2048 levels of pressure.

If anyone knows a tablet pc pen that supports the full Wacom range of 2048 levels + support wacom flex nibs, i would also be interested to know. :)
    (It's not really clear but i don't think the Bamboo stylus supports more than 1024levels)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  5. ledoweb

ledoweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone!
    I bought this tablet some days ago and, even if I'm really happy with it, I have some questions that maybe you can answer...

1) The screen
    I have mixed feelings about it. I mean, the resolution is amazing, especially if you don't look at it very close, and considering that I come from a 1366x768 15" laptop, it IS a big improvement.
    However, grays and whites are not very bright, and they are sort of "yellowish-greenish". I know this is mainly due to the matte screen, but I wonder if your units have similar screens too. I had it side-by-side with a Mac (OK, that has a glossy display, but just for curiosity...) and my white areas look almost yellow when compared to the cold whites of the Mac. Uhm...

2) The heat
    I'm using Open Hardware Monitor to check temperatures and my unit runs at 50-70 degreed idle and up to 95 degrees on load (never went more than that). All the heat is concentrated in the lower-right part of the tablet. When using the pc as a laptop this is not much of a hassle, but when using it to take notes the heat (even at 65 degrees) is not very comfortable under my hand. Is it normal?

3) The digitizer
    Just a quick question here. I already own a Bamboo Fun Pen&Touch that has a 2 buttons EMR 2048 levels pen, as far as I remember. But that pen doesn't work with the tablet. Do they really use different tecnologies? Shouldn't they be the very same pen, more or less?

4) The trackpad
    Ok, this is easy. 3 and 4 fingers gestures don't work on the ALPS trackpad. I tried both v8 and v10 drivers, and there's no way of enabling task view via gestures, for instance. Is this intended by design? Do you know a good way to enable such gestures?

By the way, I'm currently on Windows 10 and regarding the screen, I already tried disabling power saving features in the Intel Graphics control panel, or adaptive brightness in the Windows settings app.
    Whites and grays are just weird, different from what I expected...

Sorry for my english (it is not my primary language, so I did my best), and thanks in advance for your help! I'm studying Computer Engineering at the university so I'm a pretty advanced user, if I can be useful just ask!

6. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm still on 8.1, but do you notice that even with adaptive brightness off, going from dark to white backgrounds causes this fairly noticeable choppy-adaptive brightness response. No idea what that is.

I don't notice it that much after 2 weeks, but it's weird.

7. donbartolo

donbartolo Pen Pal - Newbie

Only the Bamboo Stylus Feel (Carbon) are compatible with tablet pc's through the Feel drivers from Wacom.

Beware:
    > there are 2 models for the Bamboo Stylus Feel:
    one for the Galaxy Note and another for the other wacom tablet pc's.

> I tried out the Carbon on the Samsung Ativ t700 and returned it because of parallax.

-----------

Ther is also the Bamboo Smart. Which should be the new version of the Feel. Not a lot of info about this pen. :/

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  8. hththt

hththt Pen Pal - Newbie

The smart looks good.
    But i can find Samsung only.
    You say those for Samsung wont work on The Toshiba?

9. ledoweb

ledoweb Pen Pal - Newbie

I think you can avoid that flicker by right-clicking on desktop -> open intel graphics control panel -> click "power" or "energy" (I don't know what is the name of that setting in english, but it has the icon of a battery and a power cord) -> then click on the left "battery" and disable "Screen power saving technology" (something like that, is the last option)

It's a power saving feature that lowers the backlight when you are watching mostly-dark content, a sort of dimming like tv have. When you go back to white or light things, the display slowly increases the backlight to give you a better contrast, and vice-versa.

May I ask if your screen is slightly yellow-ish when displaying white content, like folders or web pages? Try to compare it with a normal non matte screen (but i think it's definetly noticeable). Also, would you mind having a look to your temperature readings using OpenHardwareMonitor or some similar software?

10. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

1. Well, I do not notice it while using. Compared to other glare screens, a yellow tint might be there. But keep in mind that most lcd are blueish today, so they are too cold. I would not say that my unit has a significant tint, it's just a bit muted due to matte surface. I remember Mac Pros at University which were either very cold or significantly yellow side by side. So, even Macs compared side by side can give you the same result as you explained.

2. Well, it's warm, but not uncomfortable hot,imho.

4. Do you mean the win 10 gestures? I have some Toshiba 3 finger gestures in win 8.1. So, the touchpad is technically capable of 3 and 4 finger gestures.

Was win 10 pre-installed?