Toshiba Portégé Z20t Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by ile, Nov 15, 2014.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

it's probably the same convoluted mess that they carried on with the z10t/wt310 with wacom/touch digitizer as well as touch only digitizer models...

2. jimsjimsjims

jimsjimsjims Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not seeing that option in the US...yet. Only reason I'm holding out is an msrp of 899 mentioned in a press release...that same press release that stated that it wouldn't have a digitizer :/

3. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

I would love to have one and make a review on it too. :)

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

How are you using the Z20t in tablet mode usually for writing - docked or undocked?

Does anyone use an additional screen protector ?

5. ile

Ok, it has arrived! Model: B-10C (Core M 5Y71, 8 GB, 256 GB)

First impressions:

- it is thin, VERY thin! Amazing! I thought I got a 10" device for a second because of the thinness and lightness of the tablet. Really amazing

- In battery mode, I get constantly 1.4 GHz during Cinebench R15. Not more, not less. Result: 143 points. This equals nearly exactly what I got on my Ivy Bridge U Samsung Series 9 Core i7 @ 1.9 GHz (turbo disabled by Samsung). Therefore, I'm happy. Exactly what I need.

- Single Core clock is 1.6 GHz at Prime 95 in battery mode

- when plugged, the Full Turbo boost is applied first, then degrading to 1.6 GHz during cinebench r15. Result: 178 points.

- I don't exactly know the motivation behind limiting CPU performance on battery mode, but it's actually not a big deal for me. Maybe it's because of:

- Heat: While in battery mode and even under full load, the back does not get hot at all. Just as warm as a normal smartphone. When plugged in and under full load, it gets significantly warmer. Not extremely hot, but warmer than a smartphone would be designed to be. Compared with my Samsung, the Samsung gets even hotter sometimes. So it's just normal Intel Core temperatures, which is higher than ARM devices. In battery mode, it seems comparable to ARM devices.

- touchpad: I didn't expect anything after reading all the reviews. It's definitely worse than my Samsung Series 9 touchpad, but it's not Crap. Not as bad as expected. Some nice 4 finger gestures actually. But it's very limited in size. I'd prefer not to have these Damn physical buttons above the pad, the extra space vertically would be very welcome.

- very nice screen. Perfect viewing angles. Seems pretty bright (although to early for a final statement). Nice colours and sharpness despite the anti-glare layer. Which works pretty well by the way.

- enjoying the silence ... :)

- very nice key travel and feedback. Really good, way better than the Fujitsu T904 keys.

Bronsky and Mesosphere like this.
  6. ile

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

ile likes this.
  8. Mandarb

Mandarb Pen Pal - Newbie

Also very much interested in this and I've been following this discussion for a bit.
    Now the only issue is that I'm from Switzerland and the Toshiba own distribution center was shut down and there's currently 0 new Toshiba products around. Quite a silly situation, and an incredible blunder from Toshiba.

9. ivan99

ivan99 Scribbler - Standard Member

Simple you have several options:
    1-hop on a fast train to Germany and get one
    2- order through Toshiba direct on the web

10. ivan99

ivan99 Scribbler - Standard Member

Can you guys please post your average usage battery times, broken by tablet alone and coupled to keyboard?
    I'm getting just about 5 hrs for tablet and 12 for coupled