Toshiba Portégé Z20t Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by ile, Nov 15, 2014.

1. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there any review that makes a comparative test with other CORE M hybrids/laptops?

2. ivan99

ivan99 Scribbler - Standard Member

i did drain the tablet battery to less than 10% and the keyboard one to 20% and then let them charge for about 10 hrs....i powered up and the meter indicated about 7 hrs for tablet and 11 hrs for kybd...BUT...when i detached the tablet and was streaming video, the meter now indicated only 3 hrs and 45 min...then i switched back here after stopping the video and now the meter indicates 4hrs 40min left? what gives?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  3. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

It varies depending on what you are doing with it.

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Heavily.

That is just how Windows is. Much of the win32 software was not written to be run on a ultra mobile device. Chrome and flash streaming video are among the worst offenders.

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

From what I'm reading most of chromes problems are due to display resolution. But, yeah flash is terrible when it come to battery life and performance.

7. Mesosphere

I don't know about display resolution, but Chrome is known not to play well with S0IX (the main light use battery saving mechanism).

8. Dave Davis

Dave Davis Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys.
    I've been reading this thread daily for the past few months since it was announced and I got my unit last week so I thought I'd throw my feedback into the ring.

I got the top end model, the 8GB, 256GB, 4G one.
    So far, I'm pretty impressed.

I'll start with the good:
    • The battery. It lasts as long as I hoped it would. Toshiba don't include the battery in the warranty so something to be aware of. I'm averaging about 10 hours of heavy-ish use (video, high brightness etc). Usual workload.
    • The screen. It's beautiful and the main reason I bought this machine. The matt finish is exactly what I was hoping for which leads me to my next point...
    • The digitizer is good. Not as accurate as I was hoping but decent enough for what I'm using it for (note taking). The matt screen makes it feel like your writing on paper and it even makes a similar sound to a pencil writing on paper.
    • Performance. For day to day tasks and even moderate DB and PS work, it's far snappier than I thought it would be.
    • Networking. The wifi adapter supports AC and paired with an AC router and fiber broadband, it's astonishingly fast. Wired speeds over wireless.
    • The keyboard. It's incredibly well built. It's actually far better than I was expecting. It feels amazing. Probably the best keyboard I've ever had. The backlighting is "smart" too. Toshiba really nailed it in this area.
    • The design. It's really rather sleek. At least the tablet portion is. It feels VERY sturdy.
    • Volume rocker. It could jut out a bit more but I've used it a lot more than I thought I would in tablet mode.
    • The sound. Surprisingly decent. Maybe that's because I had awful speakers before but it's much louder than I thought it would be and the quality is well above average for a device like this.
    • The scaling is fantastic. Much more real estate than my previous slightly larger screen. It feels like I've got a much bigger screen now actually.
    • Had no problems installing Ubuntu on it for dual booting.

The bad:
    • You need to charge the tablet through the dock. There's no way to power it on it's own. There's an important distinction here too that I wasn't aware of. The dock drains first but charges second and doesn't charge the tablet. So if you have a full dock and an empty tablet, you can't charge the tablet off the dock (when not connected to mains obviously). I hope that makes sense.
    • The front facing camera is absolutely horrible. I had a better camera on my cellphone 8 years ago.
    • It's heavy. VERY heavy. Docked, it's much heavier than I imagined (my fault I know). Not a huge deal but it's noticeable.
    • The "give" in the hinge. It's been mentioned here already but there's a 5-10 degree give in the hinge that makes everything feel a little unstable. It's not, but it feels like that. The top heavy nature of the device makes it feel a little unstable.
    • Power button is a little fidgety but not a real big issue.
    • Windows 8.1 in tablet mode is just awful. I can't seem to get used to it.
    • The BIG ONE... The trackpad. Maybe it's just me, but I just cannot seem to warm to this thing. Possibly because I come from a non-trackpad background. I like the touchpad and buttons at the bottom. This device has them at the top and it's really annoying. The point where pressure will "click" the trackpad is also further than half way down which is annoying too. The trackpad is actually decent quality and the software allows you to customize it completely (thankfully) but having the buttons on top is a real pain. I've seen some people mention that it's "shallow", that's not the case. The give is plenty and I think the size is perfect. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

Overall, I'm super happy with this device. I got it to combine my laptop for regular work and my tablet for reading and writing notes. I got 2 out of 3. It won't make for a good reading device (yet) but that's a windows issue, not an issue with the device. I can't help but think how amazing this would be if it could run android apps instead of windows apps in tablet mode.

Happy to answer any questions that anyone has. You've all been super helpful to me.

9. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

I am wondering how it rates in benchmarks if you compare it with other CORE M hybrids-laptops. Is there a way to run a benchmark?

10. Mesosphere

So it doesn't have a charging port on the slate itself?