Toshiba Portégé Z20t Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by ile, Nov 15, 2014.

1. daavee

daavee Pen Pal - Newbie

Not necessarily. From what I've read the Core M line is mostly TDP limited, not heat limited. The top-end single core burst speeds are possible due to Broadwell being allowed to massively exceed it's TDP limit for very shorts bursts (which is out-lined in Broadwell release literature). The Z20t can, if I'm reading the benchmarks right, sustain ~1.7Ghz on the 5y71 model when using the keyboard and plugged into a mains outlet and I doubt that the 5y71, fan or no fan, can go much higher than that at 100% load without grossly exceeding 6w. Although I'm only going by extrapolating benchmark numbers so someone may wish to check the actual max sustained clockrate. I would love to check what my 5Y51 model can do but it's stuck in courier hell atm:(. If it gets delivered today then I'll post some clock speed numbers on here later.

2. ivan99

ivan99 Scribbler - Standard Member

the z20t i am using gets only max 4.5 hours in tablet mode? is that what to expect on a fully charged battery?

3. daavee

daavee Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok guys, my Z20t has arrived but it's slightly bent/curved and creaks all over when used in tablet mode. Been trying to look into the issue and whether this normal or if I should return it. The issue is very much like the one reported here - http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperi...oss-the-bottom-edge-Worried-about/td-p/685395

My Z20t creaks and has a noticeable curve at the top of the screen (or the side with the webcams on). Does anyone else's?

4. ivan99

whats going on guys?everyone busy with taxes? no postings since last Sat?

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I am still deciding what to get, but how is battery life on the device in real world usage?

6. Allie

Allie Pen Pal - Newbie

Any reason beside screen size you owners chose the Z20t over the HP and Lenovo?

7. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

HP: no competitor as digitizer Crap

Lenovo Helix 2:
    - much better battery life
    - anti-glare screen
    - screen size
    - Pen stored on the device (i think Lenovo does not offer that)

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I think they are referring to the HP X2 1011(and maybe 612), which is also wacom based.

9. ivan99

As I posted above, I am barely getting 5 hrs on the Tablet when fully charged, but I have yet to drain it to 0% and then recharge it few times and see what I might get then. I have not used the docked unit yet but my friend said she was getting about 12 hrs or so. The battery meter when used in tablet mode is sometimes erratic. You might click on it and it'll show 4hrs 30 min then a few minutes later it might indicate 6hrs 25 min left!!

bloodycape likes this.
  10. ivan99

I chose z20t over Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro or Asus T300 Chi mainly because I will be using my unit as a "business" unit. I am a consultant in my retired years, so I need a unit that can hook to a projector etc..That means it has all the possible outlet/inlet ports that anyone in business might need. Added to all that is the Tablet that can be used for fun and it is also equipped with mini ports. It is the best of all possible combos.