Toshiba Portégé Z20t Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by ile, Nov 15, 2014.

1. pierro78

pierro78 Pen Pal - Newbie

oops sometimes I again have some light "slowdowns" when "touch scrolling" windows under Windows 10 ... I don t recall that I had them with Windows 8.1 ... I also have them with my AX3 under windows 10 but not under linux ... any tip/advice maybe ?? thanks !

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

3. pierro78

awesome it looks like it solved my issue ! :thumbsup: thanks:)

by the way I also installed archlinux xfce (archman 2019 01 variant) ... seems to be running nice and booting fast ... very responsive (sometimes too much ;) : when I click with the touchpad it s also moving the mouse cursor ...) (battery seems to be lower (like 10hours left with 93% of charge left while I am typing this), but I haven't looked into battery/laptop optimisations yet - linux suspend mode is maybe also less battery efficient than Windows ...)

ORTOX and Starlight5 like this.
  4. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey @pierro78, since you're using Linux I thought you might find this of interest. I made the text bold and underlined the point I wanted to share at the bottom.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/4mmxdv/really_bad_core_m_performance/

Posted by
    u/alcasa

2 years ago

Really bad Core M performance?
    [​IMG]
    I have recently bought a Toshiba Z20T with a Core M-5y51 Processor and 4gb ram. I am currently running Archlinux with XFCE on it. The battery life is great, but the system is really slow. I have already set performance setting for pstate. In Win10 the speed is only slightly better, albeit taking a huge heat/battery toll. In comparison I have a Thinkpad X60 with an old T5600 which seems to outperform my new laptop.

A simple singlethreaded test

time echo "scale=4000; a(1)*4" | bc -l

returns 25s for the X60 and 55s(!) for the Toshiba laptop. You cant multithread that problem away...

Are Core M Systems simply slow or am I doing something fundamentally wrong? Sorry if this isnt the right post for this question, but hardware subs have not really been helpful.

EDIT: To any future people affected. Set BIOS Performance for non-acpi Systems to perforamnce setting. (counterintuitive as linux does have acpi) Suddenly my system is a lot snappier!

pierro78 likes this.
  5. pierro78

Thank you so much for the info, very interesting ! btw I ve just tried the test on my z20t with archlinux and it took 10.6s so I guess I am good :)

It s also an interesting coincidence that my biggest issue with archlinux is no sound from speaker after resuming from suspend to RAM and the same person (Alcasa - who seems very knowledgeable by the way) also has it ( https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=213720 ) and it looks like he didn't succeed in fixing it ... any help/workaround/advice welcome ! :)

6. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm... I dual boot Elementary OS. I'll have to try this at some point to see if sound stops working for me after suspend. I might not get a chance to test for a little bit of time here though. I'm planning on wiping my Elementary OS partition and installing the latest version. Although I know it's a completely different animal than archlinux. I'm not very knowledgeable about Linux.

pierro78 likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Hey, long time, no speak @Starlight5!. Happy New Year and I hope this finds you well. I recently came upon this hack - it's been in Windows since W8, turns out - but there are many articles/posts suggesting that the hack does - drum roll please..... - NOTHING! I tried it on several devices I own and, frankly, it seemed to help with some, not at all with others. Also, where it seems to help (I went down to zero on the hex values (vs. going from 8 to 2 as recommended by some, going to zero by others) on touchscreen lag, it also seems to help with touchpad lag (which is a pet peeve I have with Precision drivers - namely, the lack of an adjustment for scrolling smoothness or speed though there is a great Chrome extension for that called Smooth Scroll, which enables you to fine tune many parameters of touchpad, mouse and arrow key behaviors) and it also seems to help with pinch/zoom on the screen (didn't test this on touchpad).

Just curious as to how much effect you have personally found this hack to have on any devices you've tried it on. I wish I had known about it before I returned my Surface Go, which is a nifty machine but I couldn't abide by the unbearably slow scrolling (touchscreen only - I never bought the type cover) on Chrome. I'm going to report this on the Surface Go thread and see if anyone will test it and report in.

Thanks for any insight you have. @pierro78, can you confirm that you are certain the hack has made a big difference on your Z20T?

pierro78 and Starlight5 like this.
  8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I did it on my Thinkpad 14, and my experience is the change is night and day. I used to have to frequently double or triple tap the screen to get it to "wake up" after scrolling or using the trackpoint, but so far (the last 2 days) that's not been an issue at all. I changed my settings from 8 to 2. So, for me, it seems a very good hack.

pierro78 and Starlight5 like this.
  9. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@lovelaptops Happy New Year to you too! Thank you for sharing valuable experience, I'll try going to zero then. The hack makes my Celeron N3450-powered Chuwi Surbook Mini somewhat usable as opposed to unusable without it (though it's still very slow), but I'm not sure if it does anything on my Thinkpad Yoga 260. No idea about touchpad responsiveness either - I mostly use trackpoint, sometimes mouse.

pierro78 likes this.
  10. pierro78

Yes when I tried the hack under W10 I didn't experience the "touch scrolling" lag that I had before :) (but I am under linux now)

Starlight5 likes this.