Toshiba Portégé Z20t Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by ile, Nov 15, 2014.

1. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm curious to see what you think of it! I've enjoyed my Z20t. It's worked well for me over the past year.

pierro78 and Starlight5 like this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

You can always try to convince seller by messaging him/her.

pierro78 likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sorry, no tilt :(

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'm really glad to hear that @ORTOX . I hope it lived up to its description - essentially, not outstanding in any way - except battery life and maybe ports - but good enough in most every respect (except audio, maybe performance if you need a lot) and so much versatility overall. I really don't use my (other one) very much anymore, but can't bring myself to let it go, such a useful spare as it is. (Still, anyone can make me an offer, I guess :) )

pierro78 and Starlight5 like this.
  5. pierro78

pierro78 Pen Pal - Newbie

thank you for your interest :) . just got it ( https://www.ebay.fr/itm/173713003767 ). kind of fighting with the QwertZ keyboard now while I am typing this ;) ...

I was concerned by the stripes on the display but it looks like I can do with them ...

I wanted an ultrabook/netbook that is more powerful than my chromebook c100 convertible which has an octane v2 score of only 5000+ but an awesome battery life (probably 10+ hours) ... I figured I could also go with more versatility with a Windows/linux system ... first I tried a panasonic ax3 ( http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...gets-drained-before-removable-battery.826503/ ) but I was disappointed by its battery life (not sure if it s because of the particular unit I got or simply because of the ax3 design) so I bought this z20t which seemed like a good deal at 190E shipped ...

I think I need to get used to it ;) ... kind of a little heavy , especially compared to my c100, and also compared to my ax3 ... but I had no problem carrying it in my small backpack this morning ;) ... also I am not used to "top heavy" laptops , especially in bed so I also need to get used to that ...
    ... another thing is that I am not used to tablets ... may be I can try to use that mode also ? maybe there is a nice ebook reader software that I could try ? ( anybody tried android x86 on these ? ... by the way I am going to install archlinux (anarchy xfce variant) (dual boot with Windows) on it ... I am happy with it on my ax3, on the ax3 it seems to be more responsive than Windows when scrolling , and it activates the ax3 fan less often ... )
    ... oh and it came with Window 8.1 ... just installed the toshiba keyboard utility, eco utility, and dts sound and it seems to be good ... anything important that I missed ?? any advice how to update to windows 10 ?

otherwise I am already impressed by its battery life (still almost 12hours to go ! :) ), the reason I bought it :) ... (silence and illuminated keyboard are nice also ;) ...) I think I am going to keep it ;) ...

thanks for the tip ! ( I ve about 18% wear on the keyboard battery - 6% on the main battery) I may use it ! :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Starlight5

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Use the create installation media link and then follow the upgrade route during installation.

pierro78 likes this.
  8. pierro78

thanks so much for the tip ! the upgrade went really well ... didn t have to enter a product key ... device seems to run well without me having to do anything apparently ... Microsoft did a good job there :)

PS :
    . windows seems to use almost 50GB now ... I wonder why it needs so much space ?
    => oops just had to use "storage sense" to free 21GB of space (mostly my old windows system I believe ...)
    . I ll repartition and install archlinux (anarchy xfce variant) when I have time later ...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  9. pierro78

oops sometimes I again have some light "slowdowns" when "touch scrolling" windows under Windows 10 ... I don t recall that I had them with Windows 8.1 ... I also have them with my AX3 under windows 10 but not under linux ... any tip/advice maybe ?? thanks !

10. Starlight5