Toshiba Portégé Z20t Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by ile, Nov 15, 2014.

1. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm curious about the micro-USB port on the tablet portion of the device. I'm aware of the dedicated charging port at the bottom of the tablet portion to charge only the tablet. However, I have a micro-USB charger at my desk at work that I use to charge my phone and my Asus Transformer Mini. Has anyone tested plugging a charger into the micro-USB port of the Z20t's tablet? If so, does it charge? I'm a little afraid to just try it. I'm not sure if it could do damage if this port is only meant to use for I/O. I've read through this entire thread and didn't see this specific question answered.

2. rirawin

rirawin Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi

Got Z20T-C however, tablet is working fine however, I cannot get the keyboard to charge. It says battery 2 is not present. Is there a version of the keyboard without an onboard battery?. Always assumed it had one on board like my previous one unless they changed its recently.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I don't believe there is a version in which the keyboard dock lacks a battery, but the recognition of either one of the two batteries and, even if recognized, the accurate tracking of the capacity of each battery are intermittent flaws I've encountered with both of two Z20t-B units I've owned. I have several recommendations, none of them particularly scientific, but at various times each have cured one of the kinds of problems I describe above:

1) In Device Manager, click on Battery and then on each of the "ACPI compliant control settings, one for each of the two batteries. Uninstall one or both, then reboot. It can cause a faulty connection to one of the batteries to restore proper function. This has worked for me in the past.

2) If you're reasonably comfortable doing easy hardware dissembly, open the bottom of the keyboard and check the connectors on the battery to see if one has come loose. Even if it doesn't appear to have happened, gently pull the connector off and re-connect it. Put the bottom of the keyboard back together, reboot and check to see if it recognizes the battery.

3) In one case I replaced the battery and everything returned to normal, suggesting that when capacity falls below a certain % it may stop reading the battery as functional. It's also possible that the battery capacity was ok, but something in the internal circuitry had failed.

Of course, you're best off if your Z20t is still under wtty. Toshiba's standard wtty for these devices is 3 years. They claim the battery is only warranteed for 1 year, but I was able to sweet talk a case mgr into providing me not one, but two new batteries. This also can work best if you bought the device from an authorized Toshiba reseller and repair center. They can make the call that the battery is defective and procure a replacement at no cost. I was lucky enough to have a vendor who was willing to just ship me two new batteries to install myself. Worse case you may have to send it out to the vendor or to the Toshiba repair depot in California. Unfortunately Toshiba does not offer on-site repair.

One last possibility: when my device was showing the second battery but always showing it at 100% and it just suddenly shut down without warning when the battery was depleted, it did nonetheless have a working battery. Mine was in the screen, so it was the second battery to be used so the entire system shut down. Since your problem battery is in the keyboard, the first battery to be drawn down, it may actually be using that battery and only drawing down the screen battery after the keyboard dock battery was depleted. But if when charging the battery to 100% and unplugging, the screen battery begins depleting immediately, then this hypothesis will not apply to you.

Good luck.

rirawin likes this.
  4. lovelaptops

Orin, if the documentation doesn't say it can be used as a charging port I would be pretty certain it cannot. It is almost certainly just a data i/o port. Probably not worth the risk.

5. rirawin

Do you know where the battery is located in the keyboard?, I wish I took photos but I could not see it anywhere?. I assumed when I opened it I see a battery pack?.

6. lovelaptops

Hmm. I just opened it up and it was rather obvious. it's about square in shape, maybe 4-5", and quite thin. There are just two or three screws holding it down and possibly some tape, maybe even a thin metal plate covering much of it. It's been a while. I would think there is a youtube on it; have you checked?

7. rirawin

We are talking about the keyboard right. I honesty don't see a battery I assumed all z20t had the keyboard battery

8. lovelaptops

Yes, I am talking about the battery inside the keyboard. I have never heard of a Z20t that did not have a battery in the keyboard as well as in the screen/tablet. I have owned two of these, but they were both Z20t-B models and yours is a C. Still, in quick checking I see no indication that the C models did not have batteries in their keyboards. Thus, referring back to my earlier response to you, I would try the things I suggested to see if you can get the OS to see the battery in the keyboard. If not, replacing the battery is your only option. If you are saying you had it apart and didn't see a battery, I would question the origin of your Z20t-C. Did you buy it used or new? Is it possible that whoever sold it to you may have removed the battery? From somewhat hazy recall of what the keyboard dock looks like with the cover off, I could imagine that it might not look so obvious that the battery is missing from where it should be, as it is such a thin battery that its absence would not leave a gaping hole. Can you tell us where you purchased it, new or used, individual seller or a retail store (online or brick/mortar)? One other thing you could try if you don't want to take it apart again and provide a photo to share here (a great idea if you aren't uncomfortable taking the bottom off), you could try weighing it and comparing to published weight of the keyboard dock. The battery is definitely heavy enough that it's absence would be shown in a lower weight, but you need something like a good kitchen or mailing scale that has that level of precision.

We'll get to the bottom of this if you can provide any/all of the info I've suggested above. We'll stick with you, @rirawin !

9. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

I couldn't find a teardown video for the keyboard dock and I have not taken one apart myself. However, on the US page for the Z20t-C it clearly states under the Power area that the keyboard dock has a battery:

Power
    AC ADAPTER
    45W AC Adapter (4mm) - PA5192U-1ACA
    BATTERY
    3-cell 36 Wh (in tablet), 3-cell 36 Wh (in keyboard dock)

https://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/portege/Z20t/Z20t-C2100ED

lovelaptops and rirawin like this.
  10. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

Also, go here:

https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200011347

And then click on Detailed Specifications for Portege Z20T-C2100ED. Here is what it says for the keyboard dock:

• Keyboard Dock o Spill-resistant LED backlit keyboard o 36Wh battery o Touch pad pointing device with gesture control o Security slot o Accupoint pointing device o Eject Button o Ports  RGB  HDMI®  2 USB 3.09 ports  10/100/1000 LAN port  Docking Connector

lovelaptops and rirawin like this.