Toshiba Portégé Z20t Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by ile, Nov 15, 2014.

1. MightyMauz

MightyMauz laptop collector

I got the latest one you quote, from 2017.

Maybe it has something to do with that I did a clean install of Win10? And then I installed drivers adhoc.

Also I have tried to rollback drivers, so using only the Windows driver. It was called "High Definition Audio Device" and it made no difference in sound quality. Then I updated, by letting windows look for the latest driver online, and it put me back at the Conexant driver, the latest one.

2. MightyMauz

Does anyone experience excruciating slowness, as mentioned in this thread, since a couple of days? I just switched tabs in Edge and had to wait 15 seconds. And even typing my post here, I see my cursor lagging!

3. MightyMauz

Maybe it helps to actually install the DTS driver from the Toshiba website... :eek:
    Done that, but I can't say I hear any improvement. If anything, it has gotten worse.

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Turns out mine is a very old one: 8.66.4.50 dated 5/18/2015. Sometimes newer isn't better. Especially since the newer drivers didn't improve your sound quality overall, at the risk of sounding like a recording loop, the key is to get the full equalizer, which it appears was killed in later versions of the driver. (Pardon my ignorance, but are we sure that the DTS controls are part of the Conexant driver or could they be sourced from a different program?) In any event, if you can obtain that driver I highly recommend you download it and see if you don't get the control panel shown in my earlier post and click on that small simulated screen icon with the letters "dts" in the center that will hopefully get you to the equalizer control panel also shown in my earlier post. I will try to keep this z20t device for a few days so I can locate and/or upload any software on this machine which you may need to get the equalizer. Apologizing once more for my ignorance, where might I find the driver file and is there any reason I can't upload it for MightyMauz or anyone else to use? Please advise. Thanks.

EDIT: There is a second Conexant Driver, titled: "Speakers (Conexant HD Audio)" and I'm running this version: 10.0.16299.15 dated 9/29/2017. It's listed under "Audio Inputs and Outputs" on Device Manager whereas the other audio driver, the 8.66.4.50 is listed under "Sound and Video and Game Controllers" in DM. Just want to be sure we're all on the same page.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@lovelaptops I'm concerned that just extracting the drivers wouldn't be sufficient as you'd still need the DTS software.

I did find an older driver on the Toshiba website, the post date is 2016 but the number is lower than yours

lovelaptops likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

Yes, @DRTigerlilly , I agree - or at least I share your concern. Does anyone know where the DTS software is located? I clearly have a different version of that than @MightyMauz has. This is so frustrating. Calling on all who have more expertise than I do - ie, everyone else on this thread! - please suggest what I can pull from my Z20t and upload for @MightyMauz to stop hearing fingernails on a blackboard every time sound emanates from his computer!

Edit: Ok, I'm not quite as lame as I gave myself credit for! Of course, one just has to look in Programs and Features and there it is:

DTS Sound Studio, Version 1.02.4100. You can download it from here.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. MightyMauz

I found the DTS driver, that adds the DTS button to SmartAudio (as mentioned in a previous post). But since that did not really solve it, and I cannot hear much difference when playing with the equalizer, I just gave up.

Playtime is over, I have to start the semester!

8. lovelaptops

That's a real shame, because I've spent a cumulative 2 hours or more (and DR Tigerlilly gave you her time and expertise and others did as well) trying to explain this to you and help you with it. I went into great detail on numerous posts and made it clear to you that this absolutely solves the problem - one that had vexed me so originally - that I went to so much time and trouble to help you with because you said it bothered you tremendously, even just to hear the discordant sound of an error buzz. I told you it took a good deal of adjusting each of the some 8 sliders and 2 selections to get it right and if you couldn't get it to work for you it would have been both decent and self serving for you to ask what settings I use. I was fully planning on providing that info once we could get you to where you had the right software available to you.

I'm glad to say that after 8 years on this forum I have never once encountered such ingratitude as you exhibited, @MightyMauz . If I were you, I would think long and hard before asking for help on this thread again. Sorry if I sound annoyed and upset; it's merely how I react when I feel used.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    AriWS and Kumabjorn like this.
  9. MightyMauz

Whatever man, it's not my fault you put in way too much time. I appreciate your help, but because you spent hours and hours on it, doesn't mean I have the obligation to do so too. Fixing my pc is not my full-time job.

10. lovelaptops

You won't last long in this forum with that attitude. (Note how many of your later questions went unanswered. Wonder why?) Also, if it wasn't important to you, why did you post *9* separate requests specifically related to sound and drivers? In this forum, when people put out a plea for help, we go to work for you. Next time, post once and, after receiving feedback, if you don't want to pursue it further, don't keep posting saying your problem is still not solved. Better yet, next time don't post here at all; find an entirely different forum in which you haven't worn out your welcome.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018