Toshiba Portégé Z20t Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by ile, Nov 15, 2014.

1. MightyMauz

MightyMauz laptop collector

I do often use headphones for music, but sometimes I need just the speakers. And every time windows says "plung", I get reminded how bad it is.

Did anyone manage to download the latest conexant drivers? Because the link on the Toshiba website is broken.

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@MightyMauz I would recommend trying using it with the generic Windows driver (High Devinition Audio Device) - it yielded better results on all machines I used in the last few years.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@MightyMauz: Additionally, I can say from personal experience that you can make very substantial improvements to the sound quality by patiently playing with the DTS Studio Sound "Advanced" equalizer settings, reached via "Smart Audio" in Control Panel. Sorry I don't have my device anymore (lent to my daughter) to give you settings that have worked for me, but if you fiddle with all of the equalizer settings, including the bass, mid, treble and 5 band levels you can attain a very listenable sound quality for voice, movies and music. I recommend you pin the app to the taskbar as there are different ideal settings for different sound sources, though you can arrive at one array that will work suitably for most. We're not talking great sound here, as the drivers (meaning "speakers," if you can call them that!) are quite poor, but you can get rid of all of the distortion (including the ear-curdling Windows error tone! though I prefer to silence that anyway) and make most sound sources both listenable and with decent volume. I haven't tried the generic Windows sound driver recommended by Starlight5, but I hereby vouch for his superior knowledge. Finally, I have found numerous tiny bluetooth speakers (those made by Anker are generally quite good and low cost; I own a model A 7910 that is a 1.5" cube that sounds better than the best laptop speaker I've ever heard) to pretty much solve the problem of poor audio/low volume in so many laptops and they are so small and light that you can easily pop them into any bag you use to carry your device. Oh, and, while the equalizer in the Z20t will improve the sound from the BT speakers, you don't need to fiddle with it to get more than adequate sound.

As you may surmise from the above, I am a bit obsessed with sound quality and convenience, so I have spent a good bit of time over a period of years to solve this issue!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Starlight5 likes this.
  4. MightyMauz

Thanks for the advice. But I do not have an equalizer, nor dts settings. In the smartaudio app, I can only change the volume and balance. Other than that there are some VOIP settings. The program is extremely minimal.

I have some dolby options in the Windows native settings. But when I select that, I am forwarded to the app store to purchase a program from Dolby.

Also I have tried to use the standard Microsoft drivers, as suggested by Starlight, by removing SmartAudio. But after a reboot the app is back and nothing changed.

5. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@MightyMauz try rolling back the driver instead of uninstalling.

6. lovelaptops

Sorry, I didn't remember that the DTS equalizer is hard to find but now that I got access to a Z20t I was able to see how obscured the icon is. It is in the lower right corner of the attached screen shot, which sounds like what you got when you went to Smart Audio from Control Panel. That "icon," a piss-poor likeness of a screen with the letters "dts" in the middle, gets you to the equalizer screen, shown in the other uploaded image. I'm glad you wrote back about this, especially since the driver hasn't panned out yet. Again, this won't make it sound like a great sound system, but you can "tune" it to sound clear, loud enough and not distort. Let us know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  7. MightyMauz

Nope I do not have DTS available in SmartAudio. In the attached screenshot you can see that my version is even more minimalistic than yours. Did you by any chance have the Z20t-C? I have the "B", or maybe Windows 8? I am using 10.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  8. MightyMauz

In the meantime I have some other questions:

- Can I turn off the windows touch tip button?
    It is very annoying when I am using the tablet as a notepad and accidentally touch the button with my arm.

- What is the best way to clean the pointer?
    I have noticed that it attracts dirt and hair very easily. Until now I have cleaned it with tweezers.

- How to best protect the back of the screen?
    I use the tablet often as a notebook and find myself often using it on hard surfaces. Not ideal to keep it without scratches. Are you using a decal? Or maybe even a soft material stick to the back?

9. lovelaptops

Wow, this just blows me away! No, I don't have the "C," but the "B," like yours. And no, I'm not running W8 but W10! This is beginning to feel like a Consipiracy!!!:vbeek::vbeek:. I'm once again without the product at hand but what I wonder is whether the Smart Audio/DTS app/driver was updated and your unit has the prior rev. Since Toshiba's product support is close to nil, I'm not optimistic at finding a software update (could it be that mine is the outdated one and yours the later version?!!), but that would be the next line of attack. Can you, or someone on this thread, suggest how I might locate this driver file such that I could upload it and make it available to you? I know how vexing the audio issue is for owners of this otherwise pretty great device and I'm officially on a mission to help you resolve it!

Dr. Tigerlilly?

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

can you check in device manager when you do have the device, what version it is running?

I have the wt310 model, so I don't even think I have that functionality.

On the Toshiba US support page I see two versions of the Audio Driver

2016 Version 8.66.6.52

2017 Version 8.66.47.53

On that page they quote some other revisions

8.66.47.56 (2017)
    8.66.47.50 (2017)
    8.66.23.52 (2016)

lovelaptops likes this.