Toshiba Portégé Z20t Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by ile, Nov 15, 2014.

1. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,

I think it makes sense to create a discussion thread for the upcoming Toshiba Portégé Z20t convertible.

If features:

- 12,5" FullHD touchscreen with matte finish
    - up to 16 hours of battery life (tablet+dock)
    - optional Wacom Digitizer, including a silo for the pen
    - Core M
    - up to 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD
    - connectivity: RGB (!), microHDMI, microSD, USB 3 x 2, ...

Further details are listed on this site:

www.toshiba.co.uk/press/releases/portege-z20t/

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Update Edit (1/19/15): WORRY UNWARRANTED. The digititizer is good ol' Wacom EMR =) Also, initial hands on reviews report the keyboard dock quality is exceptional.

Question number one. Someone try out the keyboard trackpad! Also, the optional digitizer thing has me woried. Could this be one of the two new flavors of Wacom that are Ntrig and Synaptics like tech respectively?

This device definately interest me more than any of the other core m devices I've seen so far. The fact that it is early 2015 actually helps it in my eyes. That would make my T904 1 year old when it is released. Maybe that is old enough for me to convince myself to upgrade?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  3. ile

^^ That'll be interesting to see , if you'll upgrade or not.

Potential advantages in my eyes: brighter display, better viewing angles, much better battery life, fanless = silent operation, matte display

Potential drawbacks: smaller

Touchpad: yeah, that's also one of the things I'm afraid of. I strongly hope that it's not the dealbraker again as it was with the T904 for me (problems with firefox, touchpad was extremely laggy)

4. ile

Very nice: The speakers seem to be front facing !

But the touchpad really doesn't look very appealing, hopefully it's better than it looks...

Damn, this would be so cool: matte, Wacom, 16 beefy hours of battery life, fanless despite Core i Performance - just wow !

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn't be too worried...looks 99% like a Wacom EMR pen to me :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The documentation also says "optional Wacom digitizer" not "optional Wacom pen", so it's sort of like the TP Yoga variations.

So far I'm liking this more than the Helix 2!

Love how the keyboard slice can be used as a docking station (just wish it had a mini DisplayPort). But overall, this is looking awesome.... :thumbsup:

PS. Can anyone find a shot of the pen silo?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  6. Mesosphere

I should probably reph rase it as doubt instead of worry because the likelihood of me switching is probably in the 5% range regardless.
    It is just that to many things turn out not to live up to expectations in one way or another, so I'm always looking for potential hangups =) in the Dell 7000 presentaton the vp said it was wacom... it wasn't. Now with three varieties of Wacom out there using completely different tech there is even more potential miss communication.

7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I didn't realize you could calculate probability like that...for me, once the specs are finalized, it's basically a discrete variable ;).

The Proteges are like the Fujitsu's T series...Wacom forevaa! :p

8. Mesosphere

It is a complex formula =)

The 5% is mostly because I'm not in the market for a new machine =P There is always the chance that I could give in to temptation and buy a new machine after spending over 2k on a machine I'm pretty much happy with 9 months ago, but .... doubtful =)

9. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Three Wacom pen models? I know of two types, but what's the third?

10. hendryjl

hendryjl Pen Pal - Newbie

When I gave my details for the spreadsheet on the other thread (http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...t-tablets-and-convertibles-with-stylus.52592/) I listed no Silo. I said that without the benefit of any technical documentation on the subject, but rather scrutinizing the images of the device. I saw two things... or rather didn't see. The first was no image showing a Silo, and the second was the apparent inability to violate the laws of physics and fit a pen into the dimensions of either section of the device! :)

If you look over the images on the PR page, none show a silo. However, they only show three faces of the slate, so I guess there could be a magic hole on the bottom where it docks that would simultaneously shrink the pen to the necessary size, while also being a very impractical place to store it! LOL!

But seriously, I hate to call anyone out as being wrong, but whomever was charged with proofreading this PR at Toshiba either knows something we don't, or is actually wrong. But again, the only way I can see that as being true is that the model with a digitizer is actually using a different shell that does have a silo, and at the same time they are using a different one that is shows in the press photos. Only time will tell I suppose! Damn, I wish I was patient...

ile and JoeS like this.