Toshiba M700 - Video Driver Update

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by jliu42, Jun 5, 2008.

1. ClearWater

ClearWater Pen Pal - Newbie

For those of you who are wondering what this tablets graphic chip is capable of I am giving it a run for it's money. So far so good. :D

Intel has released a new driver for the integrated graphics chip (x3100) but Toshiba has yet to give the approval of or offer as a download on their website. I wanted to give it a test drive as there is rumor that it does a good bit to take advantage of the increased capabilites this chip has compared to previous Intel integrated GPU's of the past 5 or so years. Intel mentioned this chip is much more capable and also stated their initial driver release was far short of taking advantage of it's full capabilities.

If your interested in trying the new driver, your on your own, as Toshiba most likely won't support it until they provide it (after they have tested and given their thumbs up). I have Vista (32bit) and the install is a couple of steps more than just double clicking on an executable. I can confirm it works (only tested in Vista 32 bit so far) and doesn't appear to have any negative effects on any of the touch capabilities or anything else on the system.

Heres the steps:

1. Download the zipped version, not the exe. Unzip the file.
    Heres the link to the Vista 32 bit driver...
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...32-bit+version&lang=eng&strOSs=154&submit=Go!

2. If you tried to install the exe Intel provides, you'll get a message indicating "Error: driver being installed is not validated for this computer..."
    To work around this, you need to manually update in Device Manager. Intel provides a writeup on how to do this for XP, the process is similar for Vista. Here's the link for that... http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-022355.htm

3. Once I got the driver updated, I got a message after the reboot asking if I wanted to let several programs run. It was Vistas secuirty kicking in :rolleyes: , just check the box to not warn about this program anymore (as it's the Intel drivers & software) and you should be good to go. I think theres like 3 of them that will pop up.

This update should allow you to get better performance from graphics software and also play many games that before with the default driver were not possible. If your not comfortable with doing this, have a history of being a Nervous Nancy, or don't have software that is begging for the increase in capability then just wait for Toshiba to release it as I would assume will be done sometime after they have validated it :p .

Enjoy! (Yes, I was able to successfully load Call of Duty 4 on my M700. After tweaking the graphic options in the game it was playable (which is remarkable being an integrated chip :) ). Let me state that this game is more fun on a gaming system with high end graphic cards, BUT... for a graphic intensive game that was released less than 2 months ago to actually load and be semi playable on this system speaks volumes about how THIS (X3100) integrated chip should not be talked about in the same sentence as Intels previous integrated graphics offerings.

2. Telbat

Telbat Pen Pal - Newbie

That's pretty cool!

Is there any chance you could run a few benchmarks on your machine? Tiffany Boggs posted a First Thoughts Review that resulted (among other things) in some fairly disappointing PCMark05 results.
    I'm wondering if this might be something connected to the video drivers.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. DaConfusion

DaConfusion Pen Pal - Newbie

Is a 64 bit version of the driver available? I should get my 4gb ram in today...looking to move up to vista 64 ultimate.

4. Harrowed

Harrowed Toshiba M700 User! :D

Realtek have released a new Driver also :: Vista_R186.exe I'll post a direct link soon as I'm just updating Vista Ultimate 32 bit (Grrr so should have gone with 64 bit but got the upgrade for $50 from Business -> Ultimate)

5. budd777

budd777 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just went looking for this and found out that they released Vista_R190.exe today here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. 711

711 Pen Pal - Newbie

he, installed this driver and my windows performance for gaming graphics went up from 3.4 to 3.5 (vista performance).

7. nemesis_haven

nemesis_haven Pen Pal - Newbie

Brilliant; Thanks for the heads-up Clearwater. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can run.

8. nemesis_haven

Er, so the driver works nicely, but I keep on getting asked if I should let the programs run whenever I restart, regardless of whether I uncheck the box. It's only a minor irritation, but how the heck can I get Vista to just run the damn things without asking?

9. lrudyk

lrudyk Pen Pal - Newbie

10. nemesis_haven

Wow. Thanks. That is so obtusely moronic. The fix worked nicely though.