Toshiba M200 Tablet can't reinstall XP

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by raiden1701, Jan 19, 2011.

1. raiden1701

raiden1701 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Toshiba M200 Tablet. I need to format it and reinstall Windows XP Tablet Edition on it. The problems:

-There is no external CD/DVD drive
    -I don't have any of the Toshiba Recovery discs

All I have is a USB thumb drive & a SD flash card. And I have the original XP Tablet Edition and original Serial number on the bottom of my tablet.

First, I can't even get to the Boot Sequence change option by pressing F12 at bootup or by pressing any numbers in any order at any time. It just keeps booting back into the old damaged XP Tablet version. I tried downloading "$TOSFD00.VFD" and putting it on my flash drive (which will only format in FAT32 or exFAT) along with putting the i386 folder from my original XP Tablet disc on to the flash drive as well to try and boot up at the begining of powering on with no luck.

Also once in XP (damaged), I try to access Toshiba HWSetup but it has a password on it (I don't have a token either). I don't know the password and I haven't found a program to bypass it. I know, once in there I can change the boot order. So I can't change the boot at the begining of power on and I can't access the boot order in XP itself. Am I out of luck? There must be a way to format windows.

2. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Welcome to the joy of trying to reload a Toshiba tablet! You've found the right place to be, so take a deep breath and let's begin. You're about to learn a great deal more than you anticipated.

I have a Toshiba M200 Tablet. I need to format it and reinstall Windows XP Tablet Edition on it. The problems:
    -There is no external CD/DVD drive

There are bootable USB CD/DVD and floppy drives. I'll leave it to you to research which ones work and which ones don't. --> http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/toshiba/3090-reinstall-windows-xp-tablet-pc-edition-recovery-cd.html

-I don't have any of the Toshiba Recovery discs

Not a big deal. All of the necessary drivers and utilities are still available on the Toshiba support webpage. --> Model Content Page

All I have is a USB thumb drive & a SD flash card. And I have the original XP Tablet Edition and original Serial number on the bottom of my tablet.

The BIOS does not have the option to boot from USB flash drive so that's out. To be useful the SD card needs to be 1Gb (bigger won't be recognized) and formatted FAT16. If you already have a copy of XP_Tablet and a valid sticker that's great. XP_Tab originally came on two CD's, (it's too large to fit on just one), so make sure you have the second disc or that whatever you have includes a folder named CMPNENTS.

First, I can't even get to the Boot Sequence change option by pressing F12 at bootup or by pressing any numbers in any order at any time. It just keeps booting back into the old damaged XP Tablet version.

To get to the BIOS menu you want to be tapping the ESC key as it powers on. (You have to be quick before it flashes the Toshiba boot screen). It will respond with a message to press the F1 key to get to system setup, (BIOS menu).

You can access the temporary boot menu by tapping either F2, or F12, or the left or right arrow key on the keyboard. (I don't know, maybe there is a problem with the F12 key on your keyboard?) It should stop at the Toshiba boot screen and allow you to left and right arrow the bar at the bottom to select which boot choice you want. Which to choose is the next issue.

I tried downloading "$TOSFD00.VFD" and putting it on my flash drive (which will only format in FAT32 or exFAT) along with putting the i386 folder from my original XP Tablet disc on to the flash drive as well to try and boot up at the begining of powering on with no luck.

You're sort of on the right track. Put those files on your SD card instead.
    Have a read through this -->How to clean install XP and Vista using SD card

Also once in XP (damaged), I try to access Toshiba HWSetup but it has a password on it (I don't have a token either). I don't know the password and I haven't found a program to bypass it. I know, once in there I can change the boot order. So I can't change the boot at the begining of power on and I can't access the boot order in XP itself. Am I out of luck? There must be a way to format windows.

This is where I get confused by your narrative. Are you actually getting in to XP? Desktop, Start Menu, Icons, etc? (I just want to be sure that you're not stuck at a low level BIOS password) As a quick test, you should be able to physically remove your hard drive and then boot the computer to the BIOS menu or the temporary boot choice menu even with the drive removed.

Can you describe the damage to your XP installation?

3. raiden1701

raiden1701 Pen Pal - Newbie

As for Toshiba recovery discs, that site has a ton of stuff on it. Am I just supposed to download all the individual items and throw them all on a disc?

I formatted my 1GB SD card and put the right stuff on it, but when I start my tablet and press F2 it doesn't boot from the SD card. When the tablet starts up the SD card slot lights up but that's all.

Pressing esc brought me to the BIOS menu and the boot order is right FDD-etc., but still won't boot off the SD card. I pressed all the keys recommended for the boot menu but it never showed.

As for the password thing, it is after XP loads and in the control panel there is an option to enter Toshibe HWSetup which has a password on it that I don't have and can't bypass.

I'm doing this for someone else and I've put too much time into it. I'm giving up forever. He can just get someone who knows this system to reformat.

Thanks very much though for your effort.

4. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Feel free to send the owner this way. We'll leave the light on for ya'

5. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member

raiden,

I was in your shoe\s not long ago. Let me tell you now, DVD-less Toshiba Portege's are, up to this point in my IT career, the biggest pain in the butt to handle when things go sideways.

Though you may be giving up forever, there's always that damn thing in the back of your mind telling you to give it a go, just one last time. Just that one last time (usually turns into a vicious cycle with lots of expletives thrown in for good measure).

In case you do decide to come back for another attempt, may I suggest doing a PXE install. This requires another computer be ready (running Windows) and a crossover ethernet cable. In case you're not familiar, PXE installing means you've got a server set up on another machine, and you use this machine to install the OS on to your tablet over a network cable. Can be finicky to set up at first, but is extremely useful for computers without DVD drives.

Here's some basic instructions on how to setup a local PXE boot on your system:
    PXE Boot Instructions

You may have to tweak the settings a little to get it running for you, as I had to. For reference, I've attached screen captures of the settings I used. YMMV though.

Hope that helps.

Attached Files:

6. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

As I said in before in another thread, if you know somebody nearby that has a Toshiba with slim bay DVD drive, maybe they will let you borrow it to install Windows.

Also, I checked and the M200 has an ATA/66 bus. If you have access to a desktop, it may be possible to connect the Toshiba drive to its IDE bus and install Windows and all the Toshiba drivers that way, then put it back in the tablet and repair it.

It occurs to me that if the tablet HDD port is IDE, then another possibility is that a typical desktop 2-to-1 IDE cable should allow you to connect a DVD drive to the laptop.... the only issue might be powering it.

:)ensen

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just tell the owner to order one of the compatible optical drives from eBay. They're only around $20 and they'll save the user a lot of head aches.

Here's one with shipping included. . .

USB CD-R/RW CD-RW ROM Drive Burner Toshiba Portege M200 - eBay (item 130329887572 end time Mar-02-11 17:56:29 PST)

I can't imagine trying to set up any laptop without access to an optical drive! It sounds like pure misery.

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I haven't used an optical drive in years and reinstall my machine every few months, but the m200 can be PITA to reinstall without an optical drive.