Toshiba Encore Mini

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by excalibur1814, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I saw that. That's crazy! Apparently Office 365 personal is included. :eek: If these sell well we should start seeing a few more metro apps, right?

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Considering the price, pretty impressive specs. Obviously a super-low resolution display, but about the same as what the $100 Android tablets give you. The big question is performance of Metro apps with 1GB RAM. I'd think it should be fine, but who knows.

Still, for $120 it seems like a very good option for anyone considering a cheap tablet. I mean, HP's $100 Android tablet specs:

The Atom in this should be faster than an A7, so yeah.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  4. jhoff80

5. epadin

epadin Pen Pal - Newbie

I was ready to pull the trigger but I think the 1GB of ram is one spec, among all the other negatives, that gave me pause.

6. jhoff80

Apparently the Microsoft Store has these in stock, and there's already a first look video:

7. jhoff80

Only something like 5GB free on a new install according to that video... is it not using WIMBoot? There should be far more space than that out of the box.

8. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

Would it have been too expensive to put a 1280 x 800 screen in this tablet? That and another 1GB ram would make it more attractive, and can't be adding much to the price.

9. jaekqubp

jaekqubp Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anybody know what kind of digitizer these have, and if they are pressure sensitive (or capable of pressure sensitivity)?
    I was unable to find a conclusive answer to this question elsewhere. I think that would make it a worthwhile investment for some artists.

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It doesn't have an active digitizer. This tablet is made to compete with the cheap android tablets cutting every corner possible to minimize price, so adding the cost of a digitizer would defeat that purpose.

They (Toshiba) are releasing another 8" tablet in the 200-300 range which is supposed to have N-Trig (I think). There is also the Asus Vivotab Note 8 with Wacom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.