Toshiba Encore (keyboard) cases thread

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Erwindeg, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Erwindeg

Erwindeg Pen Pal - Newbie

Since there are almost no cases available, I thought it would be could to have a discussion about which cases fit and which don't. From the surfacegeeks review, apparently, the Case Logic SureFit universal case fits: https://www.caselogic.com/en-us/us/...itt-folio-for-7-8-tablet-_-ufol_-_208_-_black.

Personaly, I am looking at a keyboard case / dock solution. Since nothing for the Encore is available, I am looking at cases for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, the dimensions are pretty close, only the encore is a bit thicker (by about 3 mm) and longer (2 mm):
    Toshiba encore: 213 x 135.9 x 10.68
    Galaxy Note 8.0:
    210.8 x 135.9 x 8

What do you guys think about this one: For Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Stand Leather Case Cover Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard | eBay

$(KGrHqFHJBUFH)yc9zVwBS!1F9(VWQ~~60_12.JPG

Since it is of a fake leather, there should be some leverage room to allow for the slightly bigger dimensions.

2. ldgw500

ldgw500 Pen Pal - Newbie

3. sharkasport

sharkasport Pen Pal - Newbie

4. frakius

frakius Pen Pal - Newbie

i was thinking that the note 8 was a pretty close fit and maybe some of its cases would fit, if you do get one let us know how good a fit it is.

5. Erwindeg

6. Musky

Musky Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking for a silicone rubber "bump" type case for the encore. Can't find one anywhere! Anybody know where one can be found?

7. Erwindeg

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 case with detachable Bluetooth keyboard review.

Just before christmas my keyboard case from ebay arrived. To test the typing performance, I decided to write a review. The case was 25 euro’s / 20 uk pounds including shipping.

First the most important stuff:
    • - Does the case fit? – Yes
    • - Does the keyboard work? – Yes
    • - Would I buy it again? – For this price, yes
    Box contents
    Keyboard, case, microUSB cable (for charging) and a manual.

Case fitting
    Since there are not a lot of cases yet for the Toshiba Encore, I decided to look for a tablet of similar dimensions. This makes it easier to search for a case than searching for a universal one. Also I hoped it would fit a bit better, because universal cases are made for multiple sizes. The Galaxy Note 8.0 is a bit smaller than the Encore, but the case fits fine. Inserting the tablet in the case is easy. Off course the hole for the back camera is in the wrong place. The USB port is not completely free, but can be made accessible if you push the tablet to the side. So charging while in the case is possible. The hdmi port is blocked, the headphone jack can be used. The on/off button and volume rocker are blocked, but can be used trough the fabric. The windows button is accessible. In the end, the tablet is completely usable in the case, only for using hdmi it needs to be removed from the case.

Case stand
    The case can be used as a stand in laptop position, for using the keyboard. With some creativity it is also possible to use it in a 30 degrees angle for onscreen typing. The case is not very sturdy, so using it on your lap is possible, but requires some balancing.

Gestures
    Dragging in the menu’s from left right and bottom works fine. Dragging from the top is a bit harder because of the case overlapping the screen little bit.

Bluetooth keyboard
    The first thing to notice is that the keyboard is small. For me typing with 10 fingers is just possible. In practice I use a combination of 2 finger and 10 finger typing. Also the keys are soft which is also something to get used to. The upside is that the keyboard is light and takes little space in your bag. I think longer typing sessions are not possible with this keyboard.
    Pairing is easy and the keyboard works immediately. Most of the special keys also work (volume, pause/play/next/previous, search, home, mail). Brightness doesn’t work, neither does the lock/sleep key. Maybe it is possible to get these working with other drivers or software.
    The keyboard should go to sleep automatically, but I haven’t been able to test this yet. It does wake the tablet up when pressing a key and is thus directly usable. It is charged by microUSB, so the same charger as the tablet can be used.

Travelling
    The case can be folded with the keyboard inside. The keys are soft, so they won’t scratch on the screen. The whole package is a bit bulky, but I don’t see how this can be avoided. Keyboard, case and tablet weigh about 800 grams together.
    The case can also be used without the keyboard, this also means the keyboard doesn’t have to be used inside the case when using on a table or desk. Also, you don’t have to switch cases when not using the keyboard. However there is some room in the case when leaving the keyboard out.

Conclusion
    For what is currently available I am very happy with this case. It is affordable, and fits quite nice.

1.jpg 20131225_134713.jpg 20131225_134752.jpg 20131225_134925.jpg

epadin likes this.
  8. Erwindeg

9. Musky

Musky Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the "stand" come off?? I am looking for a "bump" case.

10. Erwindeg

I will with knife or scissors. The price is low and since there are not a lot of cases specifically for the Encore, it would suggest modifying this one.
    I modified my keyboard case for access to the ports, but will replace the case part once there are more colors available for the smart cover (currently only black and blue).